Need some basic info for a 07 Titan - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need some basic info for a 07 Titan

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this thread. Im a proud new owner of a 07 Titan. Been absolutely loving it this far but I really want to get famiar with some need to knows, so here it goes.

Just purchased 1 week ago from a Nissan Dealer in West Palm Beach. FL

Single owner/no accident carfax

77,000 miles

1. What are any common mechanical issues with this year make that i should be on the look out for?

And

2. I just noticed a coolant/anti freeze odor faintlu a day ago. Today the odor got stronger so I took a look and seen fresh coolant (small amount) that has seeped out from around thermostat housing and dripped onto water pump. Its probably just a bad seal on the thermostat or housing. Will be replacing tomorrow. But I also noticed fresh dried coolant around the radiator cap as well. Ive been watching the temp gauge and it has never gone above half way. Is this a common titan problem? Thought its odd Im experiencing any problems a few days later right out of a nissan dealership. Especially when they are "supposed" to perform a 100 point inspection on all used vehicles.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Need some basic info for a 07 Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4vis07 View Post
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this thread. Im a proud new owner of a 07 Titan. Been absolutely loving it this far but I really want to get famiar with some need to knows, so here it goes.

Just purchased 1 week ago from a Nissan Dealer in West Palm Beach. FL

Single owner/no accident carfax

77,000 miles

1. What are any common mechanical issues with this year make that i should be on the look out for?

And

2. I just noticed a coolant/anti freeze odor faintlu a day ago. Today the odor got stronger so I took a look and seen fresh coolant (small amount) that has seeped out from around thermostat housing and dripped onto water pump. Its probably just a bad seal on the thermostat or housing. Will be replacing tomorrow. But I also noticed fresh dried coolant around the radiator cap as well. Ive been watching the temp gauge and it has never gone above half way. Is this a common titan problem? Thought its odd Im experiencing any problems a few days later right out of a nissan dealership. Especially when they are "supposed" to perform a 100 point inspection on all used vehicles.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks

I've experienced a few issues with mine, but I believe they are fairly common. One is the radiator. People say they start leaking and need replacing. While I'm not sure of others, mine started leaking on the bottom, around the mounting tabs which are plastic. I bought a Stillen radiator and it works great, and was easy to install. Also, the exhaust manifolds tend to crack. Seems like everyone but a handful of people had to replace theirs due to cracks. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. But other than those couple things, mine has been a great truck. Those are just my experiences. Good luck with it, and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 AM

Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledder View Post
I've experienced a few issues with mine, but I believe they are fairly common. One is the radiator. People say they start leaking and need replacing. While I'm not sure of others, mine started leaking on the bottom, around the mounting tabs which are plastic. I bought a Stillen radiator and it works great, and was easy to install. Also, the exhaust manifolds tend to crack. Seems like everyone but a handful of people had to replace theirs due to cracks. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. But other than those couple things, mine has been a great truck. Those are just my experiences. Good luck with it, and congrats!

Factory parking brake shoes like to come apart, this can cause a lot of $ in repairs to the rear ABS components and generally will go hand in hand with new seals and bearings on the axle (ask me how I know!). Take yours apart and check them, consider replacing them with napa or duralast shoes. Inexpensive and superior quality to OEM.

Watch closely at p-side front wheel well for power steering leak at the pressure hose. This saturates the alternator with fluid and will cause it to fail. This isn't a real common issue, but the positioning of the alternator puts it at risk, and changing out the pressure hose is about $60 and a half hour, vs an alternator at $200+ and several hours.

Tailgate hinge bushing (plastic) on the p-side likes to disintegrate, and leave the tailgate a little loose in operation, only dampening one about halfway down when lowered.

I have been through the radiator cracking twice, but at almost 150K, My exhaust manifolds are still intact. They are great trucks, and most of their issues are 'minor' and easy to resolve. search the forum for axle vent mod, and I would recommend doing it (even though I have not and had no issues with constant towing and off-roading) Seems like good insurance.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!
Till it falls apart................Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/niss...king-totm.html

-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-the-Impaler View Post
Factory parking brake shoes like to come apart, this can cause a lot of $ in repairs to the rear ABS components and generally will go hand in hand with new seals and bearings on the axle (ask me how I know!). Take yours apart and check them, consider replacing them with napa or duralast shoes. Inexpensive and superior quality to OEM.

Watch closely at p-side front wheel well for power steering leak at the pressure hose. This saturates the alternator with fluid and will cause it to fail. This isn't a real common issue, but the positioning of the alternator puts it at risk, and changing out the pressure hose is about $60 and a half hour, vs an alternator at $200+ and several hours.

Tailgate hinge bushing (plastic) on the p-side likes to disintegrate, and leave the tailgate a little loose in operation, only dampening one about halfway down when lowered.

I have been through the radiator cracking twice, but at almost 150K, My exhaust manifolds are still intact. They are great trucks, and most of their issues are 'minor' and easy to resolve. search the forum for axle vent mod, and I would recommend doing it (even though I have not and had no issues with constant towing and off-roading) Seems like good insurance.

I did have to replace my parking brakes because they came apart, but I attributed that to poor maintenance by previous owner.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 AM

Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledder View Post
I did have to replace my parking brakes because they came apart, but I attributed that to poor maintenance by previous owner.

As did mine, I drove about 3 miles towing a #13K trailer with them on, a week later they went grenade on me a few miles from pavement, and a hour of interstate travel from home. The result was not pretty...

...nor was it cheap. I have, however, on the forum heard of several cases where the OEM parking brakes de-laminated, or fell apart even when they had never been applied. I can tell you from experience, auto-zone shoes and hardware are far beefier than the OEM stuff. You just have to retain the toggle boxes.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!
Till it falls apart................Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/niss...king-totm.html

-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 AM

You need a new radiator cap.

Do some research on bypassing the tranny cooler line around the radiator, or at least consider replacing the radiator. It's not the most likely thing to happen, but the cooler line inside the radiator is prone to cracking, which can cause pressurized coolant to enter the transmission. That will kill it!

Your exhaust manifolds will crack if they haven't already. Keep a good ear out for the dreaded ticking sound caused by a bad manifold.

Make sure the fuel sender recall has been done, and give it a good once over before your warranty (if you have one) runs out.

Also pay extra special attention to the front and rear axles/differentials, if it's a 4wd. Check for leaks, noises, and any loose parts. Your front left differential output may have some play in it. If it's not leaking, check the fluid and leave it alone. It will make a slight growl when locked into 4wd.

The rear axle may be leaking or have a loose pinion.

'03 350Z touring, '14 Murano SL, '07 Titan XE CC...Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore4.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM

I think most was covered except the warped brakes. I had that problem a couple of times and had to upgrade to the Frozen Rotor big brake kit. They upgraded the brakes in 2008 so there are parts that you can change and do it for less than the cost of the Frozen rotor upgrade. Do a search, someone did a write up on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Black 07 CC SE 4x4
PRG Extended Travel lift, Icons in the rear, Transgo Shift Kit, Bully Pup, Nismo CAI, JBA Cat Back, True Trac, Frozenrotors Big Brake kit, T/B Bypass, Burnout Mod, Pinch Weld, ScanguageII, Moto Metal 0970's(Black), Cooper ATP 275/65-20, Katzkin, UWS Tool Box(Black), Remote Start Alarm, Autodimming mirror w/temp and compass display, 20% Tint all around
Harley Sticker

Wish list-Long Tube Headers, UpRev, IM mod, Tow Mirrors, Gears, Electric Fan Conversion, Lights and Lift.

05 HD Nightrain-Lots of mods
04 Raptor-Too many mods to list
Black 08 Honda SI (Wife's)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 AM

my cooler lines blew while towing, but didnt do no damage to my transmission by luck I guess. Brake booster went those are the only two issues Ive had with 120,000 miles on her and no signs of slowing down. My manifolds are in perfect order.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtmike76 View Post
my cooler lines blew while towing, but didnt do no damage to my transmission by luck I guess. Brake booster went those are the only two issues Ive had with 120,000 miles on her and no signs of slowing down. My manifolds are in perfect order.
That is lucky on your trans. My lone blew at low speed, temp never got over the right edge of the gear symbol on the factory gauge, and my trans was toast. I check those hoses often and have been trying to figure out how to replace them with braided stainless with NPT fittings. Can't get a definitive answer on using compression fittings on stainless lines but once I do I'll be making that switch, and adding the bypass and auxiliary cooler.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:05 AM

All you need are ordinary worm clamps and transmission hose.
Coolant gets in through a broken internal cooler in the lower radiator tank.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:03 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking braided stainless to avoid blown out lines (which cost Nissan a trans under warranty at 52k on my truck already), not for bypass. The bypass will be a side benefit while I am in there redoing lines.
The Following User Says Thank You to dubyam For This Useful Post:
LUBECAKES (04-22-2017)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:04 PM

You actually had a line blow out? Usually they just pop off.

'03 350Z touring, '14 Murano SL, '07 Titan XE CC...Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore4.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:06 PM

Mine blew. Big longitudinal split down the side facing the big Pro4X skid olate. Dumped fluid everywhere. Lunched the trans. I was not a happy camper. At least it was warrantied.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyam View Post
That is lucky on your trans. My lone blew at low speed, temp never got over the right edge of the gear symbol on the factory gauge, and my trans was toast. I check those hoses often and have been trying to figure out how to replace them with braided stainless with NPT fittings. Can't get a definitive answer on using compression fittings on stainless lines but once I do I'll be making that switch, and adding the bypass and auxiliary cooler.
Ill give you the low down how it went. Strolling through a small town in Saskatchewan Canada twin boys in the back seat had there windows rolled down waving at people as we went through town, normal thing in these parts. Seen a couple in a Honda Accord grey in color they waved back........its a climb from Maple Creek to the turn off equivalent of Banff Alberta in the rocky mountains so the truck was working. 3/4 of the way to the turn off I say to wifey smell something buring...she says a bit gauges normal....start losing power fast, see smoke and I go WTF is going on....sees tranny gauge go from half to the mark just below H. I pulled over immediately at that point.

Truck and trailer is covered in red oil and Im smoking at this point now, truck is shut off. Lets go back that couple in the honda, I walk back to him as Im in shock and a bit overwhelmed at this point. Male driver oh Id say 55 says youve been smoking for about a mile...I say whats that...ya you've been smoking for a while....I say are you ****ing kidding me you fu!@king idiot you see me smoking and you cant catch up and pass me when Im doing 50mph. I said some really mean things and they left and thats a good thing my job personality was coming out at this point.

In the midst of all this im in shock literally, walk 300 feet to the turn off and start making calls for a tow truck and my sister to drive out and rescue me. While Im on the phone I here my truck start and being revved, I ran over and starting saying what the F are you doing my transmission is blown, of course the truck didnt move there was no oil left.

I had the truck towed back to Medicine Hat, 1.5 hours away to my mechanic who was familer with the truck from previous owner who took really good care of it. Darryl goes well mike there is good news and there is bad news, give it to me I said the bad you have a bill for new oil and filter on your transmission, the good your fine truck drives perfect. I said are you Fn with me, he said no the oil wasnt burnt at all what was left came out clean we put in your Amsoil drove it and if I was a betting man Id say your fine and lucky.

That was two years ago.

Fellas I can tell you that truck still shifts like new lol seriously, Ive been back there pulling 6 times since adding a second cooler to run in series made a big difference.

Im looking to upgrade I want a 4WD and looking at the XD but I have no payments and this 07 is a beast and runs like new....and I beat a new mustang with that ecoboost engine lol...co workers...mustang lol.....hes mad....i laugh....120000 miles on it and wins lol.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

I'm glad I came across this topic. Some good information for us new owners.

For a titan to beat an ecoboost mustang is only possible with a terrible driver. Car is way lighter and a bit more power...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top