PINION SEAL LEAK?? help... - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
PINION SEAL LEAK?? help...

I;m leaking front diff fluid & I found out that I have a pinion seal leak. i'm going to the dealership in the morning..Anybody have any info on this problem??

Go Vols
[COLOR=DarkOrange]White 05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 crew cab
Off Road/skid plates
Big Tow
Step Rails
Spray in liner/utili-track
Rear diff lock
Rear sonar
Leather/Heated seats
DVD theatre system
XM SkyFi 2
Rockford Fosgate stereo
Remote control key fob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Re: PINION SEAL LEAK?? help...

First i've heard of it, but let us all know what they say. maybe you'll luck out and get a whole new front diff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:45 PM

Had same problem in spring. Took to dealer after telling them seal was leaking. They did not order seal for me because they never had that problem. Didn't get fixed that weekend. Drove home from in-laws "diff lock" light came on. Got it to go away but "slip" and "abs" lights came on. Dealer came and got truck took, to dealer and the service tech drove it and the front diff locked up on him. Destroyed the front end had to have it replaced. Brand new front diff from Nissan and an updated computer program. Sould be good to go. Now 4,000 miles later lights are coming back on! The exact same way as before 32,000 miles on truck and warrenty running out. yikes!!!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Did they give you an explanation for not replacing the seal other than they hadn't heard of it before?

Go Vols
Off Road/skid plates
Big Tow
Step Rails
Rear diff lock
Rear sonar
Leather/Heated seats
DVD theatre system
XM SkyFi 2
Rockford Fosgate stereo
Remote control key fob
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 PM

The explanation they gave us on the seal, was that they never seen one leak before. So they didn't think it was. The wife set up the appointment and told them the seal was leaking. Got to dealer, which is in the city the in-laws live in (360 miles from home), for 30,000 mile service and to have seal replaced. Got a call truck is done but seal was not replaced, not a stocked Nissan part. bickerd yelled called them bad names and nothing helped. They didn't order the seal. Think man taking appointment thought wife was clueless! Front end locking up not related to seal leak or dealer service performed on front end, thats what they said. Falure do to computer program glitch. so they say. I Will be talking to Nissan regional service person about truck and reaccuring problem tomorrow. Like it will do any good anyways.

Last edited by jjmyzrider; 09-25-2006 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 PM

Ohhh yeah! they did say that the shaft may have been out of balance to cause it to start leaking in so few miles. Started noticing slight seap at 24,000 miles. Hope some of that helps. Good luck with it and maybe they will just have to replace the seal.

Last edited by jjmyzrider; 09-25-2006 at 09:34 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmyzrider
The explanation they gave us on the seal, was that they never seen one leak before. So they didn't think it was. The wife set up the appointment and told them the seal was leaking. Got to dealer, which is in the city the in-laws live in (360 miles from home), for 30,000 mile service and to have seal replaced. Got a call truck is done but seal was not replaced, not a stocked Nissan part. bickerd yelled called them bad names and nothing helped. They didn't order the seal. Think man taking appointment thought wife was clueless! Front end locking up not related to seal leak or dealer service performed on front end, thats what they said. Falure do to computer program glitch. so they say. I Will be talking to Nissan regional service person about truck and reaccuring problem tomorrow. Like it will do any good anyways.
That is crazy that they didn't replace the seal just cause "they have never seen one leak before"! I've replaced a few of them and when you see a seal leaking you know it. There isn't anything else around it that could be causing the leak. And it was under warranty so why do they care if it gets replaced? They should have replaced it. It's their job to take care of the customer. Even though they did eventually fix it they should have done it the first time.

Like I said, I've replaced a few of the pinion seals on these trucks. Not a common problem but every seal is gonna leak adventually. It's just a matter of when.

Surrounded by idgits, we press on.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

well got my truck back and they had to order the pinion seal, but they did replace it. all is well thanks for the info guys..

Go Vols
Off Road/skid plates
Big Tow
Step Rails
Rear diff lock
Rear sonar
Leather/Heated seats
DVD theatre system
XM SkyFi 2
Rockford Fosgate stereo
Remote control key fob
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 01:54 PM

I think that I am having the same issue. I thought that I was leaking transmission fluid. I just talked to my service advisor and he said that it was from the rack and pinion. He says that it will be ready in the morning. We'll see...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:44 PM

I just got done posting on another thread, but this one seems exactly like my issue, albeit on a 4x2. Both the ABS and the Slip light on and a lot of liquid on the rack and pinion covers(rubber boots). Taking in on Monday to see what they say. Did you guys have a lift on yours? Just paranoid that they are going to renig on the warranty?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 AM

4X4 here...

My Titan was in yesterday for the front pinion seal, it was clearly leaking. I have 30,000 miles on the Titan and it had been leaking for a while based upon the oil on the frame, however, not leaking enough to leave drops on the nearly white concrete floor at work. The part was not in stock so it has been ordered, once in this will be a warranty claim.

And for the record, let me recap my USS Valdez stories...
- rear driveshaft pinion seal leaking when truck was at 1,000 miles, it was replaced and the problem was a nick in the inner metal surface that pinched the rubber seal and allowed the rubber seal to fail causing the leak. The mechanic said it almost looked like the seal was dropped, and then installed, it was a warrenty claim
- loose bolts between tranny and transfer case, started when the truck had 2,000 miles on it and went on forever partly because of really bad service, after lots of screwing around it was determined the bots that connect the tranny to the transfer case were loose and had to be tightened, once this was finally done the leaking stopped, but the 1st service group was very slow in finding the problem, all work was warranty claims. The problem though, the USS Valdez like oil spill in my driveway caused problems with the pavement and of course I had to fix that at my own cost

I have never had any rear diff issues interestingly enough...

I'm sick and tired of all the problems...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM

I just dropped my 05 CC off at the dealer to repair the pinion seal on the front diff. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I had the brakes replaced, while replacing the pad on the parking brake the tech noticed the left rear axle seal was leaking so he fixed that too. Davis-Moore Nissan in Wichita Kansas is awesome. Now, two years and 116,500 miles later, I've moved to Kansas City, I am repairing the front diff. at a different dealership. Sure hope they are as good as Davis-Moore.

By the way, anyone have any clue what it should cost to repair the pinion seal?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Just got my front pinion seal replaced yesterday at meineke. I was getting duals installed when the mechanic brought it to my attention that there was a leak. They ordered the part from the dealer and popped it in less than 2 hours. So far so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top