Lug nuts backing out???? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lug nuts backing out????

About 1 1/2 months ago,felt a wobble in the 96 maxima and noticed the left front wheel was loose.Four nuts were loose with the 5th still on tight.The rim is a steelie.The studs are not stripped.Every week and a half I had to retorque them.Any idea what's the cause?Do I need a new rim or lugs?It's the wifes car.Please help.

05 SE KING,
BiGToW CaPtAiN,
Red Alert,4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 21,941 Times in 13,133 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Re: Lug nuts backing out????

I trust you don't have any ticked off neighbors?
Does the # 5 nut always stay tight? Maybe time for a dab of nail polish to mark it.
Did you set them with a torque wrench?

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

I torque them all to 90 the first time and thought that someone was trying to play games.But it has happened 2 more times after.I have a pager alarm on the maxima and it hasn't went off.When they stole my corner lights the alarm went off so guessing if they tried to loosen the nuts,it'll cause the pager to go off.

05 SE KING,
BiGToW CaPtAiN,
Red Alert,4x4
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:17 PM

iTrader Score: 8 reviews

you could always try to set it off yourself... Otherwise I would try the purple loctite. It keeps stuff from vibrating apart, but still lets you take em apart later...

2010 Dodge Ram Power Wagon
ICON sponsored, going to SEMA 2011, lots of mods

2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport
Ground Force 2/3 drop, 24" BOSS 330's, true dual exhaust with 11" Magnaflow muffler and x pipe, Volant intake

2007 Nissan Xterra Off Road
PRG Mini Lift
JBA Cat Back
K&N Drop In
CB Radio

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Hmmmm, are you dong it by hand or using an impct gun. I remember the diesel shop put my dads tires back on his F250 and his frnt tire came off with him truck fully loaded. The shop denied it but found out later found out they had a malfunctioning air gun. seems kinda wierd. maby hook up a cable wire with a lot of volts goin through it so if someone IS messin with you, you can get the pleasure of hearing them scream when they get zapped haha!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Do the lug nuts have the proper taper to match the wheels? Are they stock or aftermarket?

JBA Longtube Headers
Cajun Catted B-pipes
JBA Catback exhaust with Vibrant UltraQuiet Resonator
Tuning by UpRev (Seymore4)

IMADOGMAN
2004 NISSAN TITAN KC SE
4x4 Offroad (E-locker)
Big Tow Pkg
RF/Power Captains
Utility Bed Pkg
White Q10
LUND Interceptor Bug shield (clear painted to match)
LEER 100XQ

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:49 AM

1st, Make sure that the wheel does not have anything between it and the mating surface. Now to troubleshoot the problem you need to isolate. Here is what I would do. Compare the lug nuts that loosening with those on the other wheels. Carefully look for crack in the wheel as well.

Move the wheel (not the lug nuts) that has the loosening lug nuts to a different location on the car. If the lug nuts loosen in the new location, the wheel is bad. If the problem persist in the same location, try new lug nuts and think about new studs.

or

Try removing one lug nut from the other 3 wheels and swap those onto the wheel that has the problem. Make sure you mark them. If they still come loose on the problem wheel, then you now it's the studs or the wheel itself. If they come loose on the other 3 wheels, then it's probably the lug nuts themselves.

Loosenut

Mods. Injen Intake and Magnaflow CatBack
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,882 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut
1st, Make sure that the wheel does not have anything between it and the mating surface. Now to troubleshoot the problem you need to isolate. Here is what I would do. Compare the lug nuts that loosening with those on the other wheels. Carefully look for crack in the wheel as well.

Move the wheel (not the lug nuts) that has the loosening lug nuts to a different location on the car. If the lug nuts loosen in the new location, the wheel is bad. If the problem persist in the same location, try new lug nuts and think about new studs.

or

Try removing one lug nut from the other 3 wheels and swap those onto the wheel that has the problem. Make sure you mark them. If they still come loose on the problem wheel, then you now it's the studs or the wheel itself. If they come loose on the other 3 wheels, then it's probably the lug nuts themselves.
Very logical approach! I would have probably just had a panic attack and replaced lug nuts, studs & wheel.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:33 AM

Thanks Bestatchess! I am a Field Service Engineer and like to think that I am very good at what I do. I take pride in it.

Loosenut

Mods. Injen Intake and Magnaflow CatBack
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Premium User

Thanked 60,213 Times in 18,949 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut

or

Now that's the kind of answer we all want to see! Very helpful LN.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I don't care that I'm insensitive
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM

very good info, ironic too since your screen name is loosenut
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM

I've never heard of lugs, as long as they were tightened properly, backing out on their own. I'd install a set of wheel locks if it were me. This way, if it is someone screwing around, she won't lose the wheel altogether.

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top