How fast can I drive in 4H? - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: How fast can I drive in 4H?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbeaux
So let me get this straight. You work in some line of public safety. Yet you admit to driving unsafely in public, endangering your life and the lives of others because you've got three jobs? What kind of public safety are you in?
thought that was funny too.

'06 4x4 LE Titan CrewCab - Radiant Silver.

MODS .... Inifnity QX56 Wheels~ MagnaFlow Custom Exhaust~ Tinted Front windows~ Vent visors~ Bug deflector~ Chrome Nerf Bars~ 4x4 Decals~ Under seat storage unit~ Volant GEN. 3 CAI~ AVT Competition Pedals~ Stubby 9" Flame Etched Antenna~ SS Bull Bar~ Square BullBar Fogs~ Stebl Air Horn~

"Ping shi duo chu han, zhan shi shao liu xue".

Beating a Dodge is like banging a fat chick - Everyone can do it but who wants to brag about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:40 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The manual says you can engage 4wd up to 60mph. I think 4hi does not limit the speed you can go because it does not change the rpm acceleration like 4lo. As long as you are driving offroad or on black ice or snow you should be able to drive at whatever speed you are comfortable with.
#18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM

you really believe you can go any speed you want in 4 wheel drive?

MODS .... Inifnity QX56 Wheels~ MagnaFlow Custom Exhaust~ Tinted Front windows~ Vent visors~ Bug deflector~ Chrome Nerf Bars~ 4x4 Decals~ Under seat storage unit~ Volant GEN. 3 CAI~ AVT Competition Pedals~ Stubby 9" Flame Etched Antenna~ SS Bull Bar~ Square BullBar Fogs~ Stebl Air Horn~

Beating a Dodge is like banging a fat chick - Everyone can do it but who wants to brag about it?
#19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM

I always switch into 4lo right before a drag race just to get the best possible launch...then I switch to 4hi at around 50 mph and that takes me to the finish at around 170 or so.

then again though, I've got the limited edition BS "Troller" package from the Nissan dealership when I bought my truck, so I can do just about anything that you honest Titan owners can't.

Jason Kelly
Valley Center, KS
#20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 21,267 Times in 12,691 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyj00
I always switch into 4lo right before a drag race just to get the best possible launch...then I switch to 4hi at around 50 mph and that takes me to the finish at around 170 or so.

then again though, I've got the limited edition BS "Troller" package from the Nissan dealership when I bought my truck, so I can do just about anything that you honest Titan owners can't.
But can you draft big rigs at 140mph with the Titan?

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
#21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbelt65
you really believe you can go any speed you want in 4 wheel drive?

You have to switch into 4HI below 62 MPH, but yes.....your speed isn't limited once in 4HI. Now.....why the hell you'd be doing anywhere near those speeds while in 4WD beats the heII outta me! 4WD is for use when traction is limited, not exactly the right conditions to be doing 60 MPH if you ask me.

[
#22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbffl
The Midwest was hit with a wet, heavy storm over the weekend. Once I got to the main roads (i.e. interstate and highways), they were 100% wet, but mainly 50% snow/ice covered. I left my 4Hi on but was traveling in speeds > 65 at times. Is that ok?

I also only have 348 miles on it so I am still breaking it in if that makes a difference.
I'd back off if you hear popping and/or grinding noise.

It's not rocket surgery.

(off to a new home)
'06 CC 4X4 Off Road SE Born Oct. 05
Big Tow
Eclipse GPS Navigation/DVD/CD (Dealer Option)
Smoke

World's fastest beer cooler (see photo gallery for explanation)

(new addition to the family)
2010 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4
Sirius, 110v Outlets, Pending Mods
#23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbffl
The Midwest was hit with a wet, heavy storm over the weekend. Once I got to the main roads (i.e. interstate and highways), they were 100% wet, but mainly 50% snow/ice covered. I left my 4Hi on but was traveling in speeds > 65 at times. Is that ok?

I also only have 348 miles on it so I am still breaking it in if that makes a difference.
It's ok mechanically. But your the type we often see off in the woods on the side of the road because they think 4WD is something magic and defies the laws of physics. If the roads are clear enough to be doing 65 MPH, switch over to 2WD. 4WD won't help. If you need to be in 4WD, you should'nt be going that fast.

[
#24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 PM

1st, no, I don't think you can go any speed in 4hi, certainly not saying that. I only drive at speeds that I am comfortable at. It just so happens, I'm comfortable driving in snow covered roads, which means I'm typically going faster than everyone else. That could mean 30, or 70, it all depends on the conditions and the road itself. Around here, like most places, when the snow hits people freak. Everyday I drive a 2 lane divided highway that's is pretty straight for 7 miles. The slow lane is typically doing 25-30mph, which means if I'm doing 45, I'm still "that guy" blowing by everyone... so before you judge, realize it's all relative.
I do slow down when I'm passing others, because as everyone knows, 4X4 doesn't help stopping at all, and I want to have some room/time for reaction.
That's a big jump to assume I'm endangering someone else's life. I drive at speeds that I am safe and comfortable with, and allow plenty of room/space for others on the roads.

'05 Smoke CC LE 4X4
PC 6" Stage 1
PC 8188 18X9
PC Xtreme A/T 325/65/18
Bully Dog / Magnaflow "cat-back" / Tint / NISMO CAI / 6k HID / Westin Bull w/ PIAA lights / Truxedo / Carriage Works Grill / Airlift rear bags / Bushwacker Pocket Flares
My super duper MPG doubler- a 1996 Grand Prix coupe!
#25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 PM
PRJ

For all of you who think 4wd does no good at higher speeds on snow or ice you are wrong. The one thing it does do is prevent the back end from kicking out on you. 4wd will help because the front wheels are pulling in the direction preferred.

I've been driving in these types of conditions for past 20 years. I know from experience.
#26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ
For all of you who think 4wd does no good at higher speeds on snow or ice you are wrong. The one thing it does do is prevent the back end from kicking out on you. 4wd will help because the front wheels are pulling in the direction preferred.

I've been driving in these types of conditions for past 20 years. I know from experience.
Yeah me too!

2006 Titan XE 4x4 (PRG 4" Performance package)
2003 Evolution VIII (358awhp/354awtq) that's on 91octane, 22lbs boost, stock turbo.
2007 GSXR1000 (not enough road to touch redline)
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tommorow" : James Dean.
#27 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 AM

sooo, 4 wheel drive provides better traction??? Reeeaaaaally??? hahaha!! Did it take you 20 yrs to come to that conclusion?

#28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 AM

so, the synopsis is pretty straight forward... use 4hi when on any kinda inclimate weather and keep her nice and slow... just like you should in any kind of inclimate weather.

Common sense. I remember from driver's ed that you can get a ticket going under the speed limit "if the road conditions aren't perfect" The speed limit posted is for clear, dry roads...according to my teacher of years and years ago. Whether it's legal or not, you won't catch me going very fast at all on ice or packed snow... I love my Titan, and I wouldn't want to hurt it.

Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to ice and snow, whether you've got four wheel drive or not. It's not designed to make you a speed racer on ice, in fact, they make better vehicles for that...they're called rally racers, like the Subaru WRX... they're lighter, have a lower center of gravity and that wierd a$$ traction control stuff that nobody understands but seems to keep you on the road even in the worst conditions.

Try driving it through 16" of snow though, and I'll pull you out with my Titan.

Jason Kelly
Valley Center, KS
#29 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:10 PM

Four Wheel Drive does have its benefits when over 60 mph, but not very often. My Armada has an "auto" position of the 4x4 selector knob. I keep it in that position. If you are driving over 60 mph out on the highway and should happen to lose traction, you can use the benefit of the front axle pulling.

Now, I don't think that feature is available on the Titan. Maybe it will be.

I was visiting relatives in Iowa in the winter time a couple years ago. This is on a four lane highway with traffic going much faster than me. As I went around a sweeping left curve, I felt the rear end start to slide out to the right. At the same time I felt the left front wheel grab and pull me forward to correct the slide. Saved me and my family. I think we hit a small patch of black ice.

BTW: I do also exceed 60 mph in locked 4 wheel drive, high range, but not in my Armada. It's mud-running in my modded CJ-5 Jeep. Of course, that is under controlled conditions and not on a public highway. And it has a rear locker and front limited slip, with 36 inch SuperSwamper tires doing the digging. See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ-5 Front - Small.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	38411   Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ-5 Right Rear - Small.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	38412  

'04 Armada SE Offroad 4x4
Big Tow Package
Galaxy Black
K&N AirCharger CAI
Carbotech Bobcat front brake pads at 28K miles (no brake judder, just time to change pads)

Last edited by Armada; 02-28-2007 at 12:21 PM.
#30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 PM

If you really think that 60mph is the limit in 4wheel get real. Also if you think just because you can travel at 65mph that then 4wheel isn't neccessary and you might as well be in 2wheel you would be wrong again. Anyone who truly doesn't understand these driving conditions should stay in your own state where it doesn't snow and you shouldn't own a 4wheel because you are just wasting my gas. I have went over 65mph in 4wheel more in the last week than most will in their life does this make what I do right or wrong you decide but you will not find my truck in the ditch because you think that I shouldn't be going 65 in 4wheel.

Jump to top