passing smog in cali - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
passing smog in cali

i was smogging my wifes car when i overheard the technician tell the guy that his truck didnt pass smog because he had a cold air intake. he said the owner would have to find the executive code on his intake. i told him that i to have a cold air intake on my 05 titan. he said it should have come in the box that my intake came in. i think i threw the box out. i have a aem bruteforce intake with the dry filter.. does anyone know this code or where i can find it? any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks, titanrookie

05' black,LE, CC 4x4 offroad w/bigtow
dvd, nav, sunroof with graphite leather interior, leer tonneau cover, bug shield, 20" kaotik chrome rims, magnaflow dual exhaust, train horn, aem brute force cai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 AM

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to spoonman Send a message via Yahoo to spoonman
Re: passing smog in cali

could be talking about a C.A.R.B number, which i think says that the part is street legal. Thats why sometimes you see parts say "off road use only" because they are not C.a.r.b. legal and dont meet the smog requirement or something. Not 100% sure, im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in...

04 King Cab LE 4x2

285-70-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10, 17" MB Razor's Plasti-Dipped, Airaid MXP CAI ,Billet Grille, NCD 2.5 inch leveling kit, Nismo (Bilstein made) Off Road Shocks, Banks Exhaust w/ Borla XR1, Center console wrapped in NeffyWrap dry carbon, Roof wrapped in LegitAccessories roof Carbon Wrap, Endless Auto Salon carbon hood wrap , Pro4x Flares, MetalWorx front Light Bar, 20" Double Row CREE LED Light Bar, 2011 retrofitted mini h1 headlights and TheRetroFitSource Morimoto Elite HID kit and TRS xBled Strips/ Halos

Radiator Information Thread: AEM BruteForce Install How-To How to Remove gated shifter console finisher Video:Video of Switchback LED Strips in action
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 AM

iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Just contact AEM and if it is CARB legal they can send you a new sticker. K&N does that.

2010 Dodge Ram Power Wagon
ICON sponsored, going to SEMA 2011, lots of mods

2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport
Ground Force 2/3 drop, 24" BOSS 330's, true dual exhaust with 11" Magnaflow muffler and x pipe, Volant intake

2007 Nissan Xterra Off Road
PRG Mini Lift
JBA Cat Back
K&N Drop In
CB Radio

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,146 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to P's Titan

you also don't have to worry about smog check until 2012. For cars built after 2000 or 2001 its every seven years. Gives yourself plenty of time to get what you need.

Click here for Tips for TitanTalk

my mods list

USE DISCOUNT CODE FOLGER
FOR 10% OFF EVERYDAY @ www.adamspolishes.com

CrankyWhore™
TequilaWhore™
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM

It's called an "E.O." (Executive Order) decal, and it only comes with products that are CARB (CA Air Resources Board) Exempt. If you don't have the CARB E.O. decal, call AEM and ask them to send you another one. They'll probably ask you to send a copy of your vehicle registration and a picture of the intake installed on your truck.

Yes, you WILL fail smog if you don't have the EO decal affixed to your truck. This applies to pretty much anything that can affect emissions (e.g., headers). I know because I failed smog on my 2000 Frontier a few years ago.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM

What about the Volant, is it ok? I would think it should be, considering my dealership offered it and the banks exhaust as an option. I dont see any sticker though.

05 CC. Banks. Volant Gen3.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks to everyone that replied. i always get immeadiate feedback to my questions. this is one of the reasons why this forum is so good. thanks again, titanrookie

05' black,LE, CC 4x4 offroad w/bigtow
dvd, nav, sunroof with graphite leather interior, leer tonneau cover, bug shield, 20" kaotik chrome rims, magnaflow dual exhaust, train horn, aem brute force cai.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippeninc
What about the Volant, is it ok? I would think it should be, considering my dealership offered it and the banks exhaust as an option. I dont see any sticker though.
That's the thing: they're not obligated to sell you street legal parts. They ARE obligated to tell you if it is street legal or not; but I wouldn't take their word for it. I'd pop the hood and look for an E.O. decal, or look for it in the door jamb. If it's not there, then it needs to be on the vehicle contract--that is, that the dealer will get in touch with the manufacturer to get you the decal.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippeninc
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I wanted to provide an update.

A Volant intake IS NOT OK under any circumstances if you're in California. I just bought one and it did NOT have a CARB EO decal in the box. I called Volant and inquired as to why this was the case. I was assured that the item was CARB approved, but that they had not yet received the EO number--and that the process of obtaining a number could take upwards of 2 months from that point. Point is that they deliberately lied by saying that their product is approved (as opposed to pending).

Don't screw around with it. If you want to be compliant with the law (BTW, a cop can pull you over and ask you to pop your hood; if there's anything under there that isn't CARB approved/exempt, then you can get cited for illegal emissions modification).

Skip Volant. It took FOREVER for me to get ahold of someone on the phone. Their customer service stinks.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

For all AEM owners:

I also have an AEM. I looked into this a couple of weeks ago and found that we are OK. Here is a link to my thread with a link to the EO.

Good info here

04 Titan 4x2 SE KC, Smoke, Magnaflow Single Exhaust, 05 Diff Cover, Stillen VKPro, AEM Brute Force w/DRYFLOW, Custom Painted Engine Cover , Sylvania Silverstars, Rhino Bedliner, Nissan Bug Smacker, Sirius Starmate 5 and iPod (AUX), Sony xplod, 2 x 10" JL 0, and a locking gas cap

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM

UPDATE:

Just called AEM. Since I don't have the proof of sale (receipt) - since it's probably lost among piles of papers at home - I can email them a photo of the intake on my truck, along with a little info, and they will send me the sticker!

Just call them up!

04 Titan 4x2 SE KC, Smoke, Magnaflow Single Exhaust, 05 Diff Cover, Stillen VKPro, AEM Brute Force w/DRYFLOW, Custom Painted Engine Cover , Sylvania Silverstars, Rhino Bedliner, Nissan Bug Smacker, Sirius Starmate 5 and iPod (AUX), Sony xplod, 2 x 10" JL 0, and a locking gas cap

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Here in NW Calif. we don't have any smog checks. The only time you have to get a vehicle smogged is if you buy a used one. If it passes it is good for as long as you own the vehicle.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I.I.Raciing

decypher44-Do you happen to have the email address that I can contact about my AEM intake for the Titan? I also don't have a receipt, since the jackass's over at SoCal Motorsports.com did not send me one.

tech@aempower.com

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I.I.Raciing
Thats NOT 100% true, I have an 01 Ranger and I have to have it smogged by July 31st of this year, so its only 6 years.
off a year.. same sh!t

Click here for Tips for TitanTalk

my mods list

USE DISCOUNT CODE FOLGER
FOR 10% OFF EVERYDAY @ www.adamspolishes.com

CrankyWhore™
TequilaWhore™
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

the bigger issue here is the fact that Volant doesn't have a EO # and for those that have it could be in a load of sh!t. I kno someone that could help me pass smog but it bothers me about Volant. Hopefully they do something in the mean time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top