Things that could cause bad gas mileage - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Things that could cause bad gas mileage

I'm sure this is the millionth gas mileage thread, but what I'm looking for is kind of a checklist of items I can go down to see if any of them cause bad gas mileage.

Anyway, I just bought my 2004 XE CC 4x4 a couple of weeks ago. At my last gas fill-up I noticed I only got 11.3 mpg (and I even have the small tires on still). What are some things that I should check that could cause this bad mileage? The first thing I thought of was the air filter, it looked like a stock white paper filter, and it looked clean.

Thanks for any help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:02 PM

Re: Things that could cause bad gas mileage

Get a fuel system flush.
Use at least 89 octane gas, 93 would be better.
Try to loose some weight off that right foot.
The stock tire is not all that small.

[IMG][/IMG]

My old Ride. My new ride : Big Red Chevy
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:04 PM

well, when i first got my used 05 Titan last September, i was like you, only getting from 11 to maybe 12 mpg. but since then, ive been getting about 15mpg.

only thing thats different now is the weather. and ive always used the next grade up in gas. but my Titan also has 18" ers, and Banks exhaust w Nismo CAI. and i know that helps inhaling gas! but ive resigned myself to the fact that its a truck, and "bad" gas milage goes w the beast.

i suppose a Toneau cover would help some. either way, enjoy ur Titan for what it is, and dont let the mpg's bum u out.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan4740
I meant to mention this in my original post, but I drive it very very easy on the throttle.
Quote:
I just mean that since I have the XE I have the smallest tires that come on the Titans.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 826 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

1. tires between 36 and 40 psi.
2. try to keep RMP's under 2K.
3. 87 octane should be fine. Do a search no proof of higher MPG with better grades. The engine was designed for 87.
4. brake as little as possible, Drive smoothly.

I get a consistant 14-15 mpg and I don't drive like a granny.

AKA Filthy Whore, aka fartingdogwhore
04' Galaxy CC/BT/OR
K&N filter & DIY air box mod, JBA Cat back
Pioneer 6900UB
2* Timing Advance
Silverstar Ultras Active Tuning ground kit
Power locking tailgate
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=180006
MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:39 PM

I have always been around 12.5 mpg around town. I just Put on 325-60-18's and the mileage so far seems to not have changed at all. I usually take it easy on the gas pedal for the most part. I still don't know how anyone gets 15 mpg around town.

04 SE KC. BT OR 140,000 miles.

06 LE KC. BT 83,000miles. S&B Intake. 22" magnaflow muffler. Bully Dog Power Pup. Truetrac, rear fog lights. 2.5" leveling kit. Air Lift airbags. Back up camera. 18x8.5 Viscera 506's w/ 325-60-18 Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's. Bushwacker fender flares color matched. 6000 hid low beams and fog lights.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanked 1,191 Times in 870 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanmike
I have always been around 12.5 mpg around town. I just Put on 325-60-18's and the mileage so far seems to not have changed at all. I usually take it easy on the gas pedal for the most part. I still don't know how anyone gets 15 mpg around town.
15 is nothing, some guys posted 16-17 around town...lol.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, Airaid 4" MXP CAI, Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI. 1/8 mile 9.30@74.49 with a 2.11 60'.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Bigger tires/wheels, lead foot....these are probably the main contributors to bad mileage. When my truck was stock, we took it on a road trip and it averaged about 7km per litre. I checked the mileage last week and it was 5.2km per litre (with banks, tbs, 2* advance and 24" rims), Im guessing I mustve drove it harder though cuz thats a huge difference.

2006 LE Crew - Galaxy Black
Current Mods:
Hybrid Banks
2* Timing Advance
24" wheels and 315-35-24 Nitto 420S Tires
Racing Red painted calipers
Alpine CDA-9887 HU - Kicker CVR10 - MTX 5601
Retrofitted Custom projector HID setup
Blacked out headlights
HID 6000k Foglights
Recon White Lightning LED bar
LED Tail Lights
LED 3rd Brake Light
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan4740
Get a fuel system flush.
Use at least 89 octane gas, 93 would be better.
89. or 93 aint going to get your better mileage to offset the cost of it.

2007 SE Granite C/C 4X4 BT,OR,RF,Bed Package
Born 12/18/06 in Mississippi/ adopted 03/31/07 in Anchorage. Man that stork had a good drive.

Improved with Westin black aluminum nerf bars, Husky floor liners, Vent visors, Full billett grill, Black XE door handles,American racing Teflon THUG'S, Top Dawg folding tonneau cover, AEM brute force CAI with prefilter,
PRG 4INCH PERF Package with Saw's, Two 12 volt tech underseat subs with CDT 4100 and cdt replacment door speakers,MD DVD player with 8.5 screen Shift Pass You
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:05 PM

Nothing with a big gurly V8 like ours is getting "good" fuel mileage. It just goes with the territory I guess. If mileage is what's needed and you don't need all that brawn for hauling, try the smaller Frontier with it's hefty V6.

[
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:20 PM
dmi

My '06 BT, KC, 4x4 all stock except a topper gets almost exactly what the sticker says. i.e. 13 mpg city and 17 mpg highway. 87 octane only. I just got back from a 300 mile road trip and got 16.4 but I was doing 80-85 on the freeway bucking a head wind. The worst I ever got was 12.4 driving around town. I TRY and keep my foot out of it in town. Its a truck with a big a$$ V8. What do you want? Toyo's, Fords, etc are the same way.

Hey jbglenn! How's the Greatland? I used to live up that way. Do you have a block heater? Cool avatar! USAF 81-85.

Last edited by dmi; 05-06-2007 at 04:25 PM.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Just filled up my 06 CC. With gentle driving in town (Phoenix Area) I got 14.5 MPG. I've got 12K miles. Used to get better, but the gas Nazi's just switched us to 10% ethanol for summer. Pretty sure that causes worse mileage. If you aren't punching it, then your baby's sick. In all my past vehicles (Fords), I could bank on a 10% increase in mileage with premium gas. If the cost was only 10% more for premium then I would go for it. This Titan doesn't seem to care since it adjusts itself to the octane you use. Good Luck, hope it isn't a costly repair.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanle
Bigger tires/wheels, lead foot....these are probably the main contributors to bad mileage. When my truck was stock, we took it on a road trip and it averaged about 7km per litre. I checked the mileage last week and it was 5.2km per litre (with banks, tbs, 2* advance and 24" rims), Im guessing I mustve drove it harder though cuz thats a huge difference.
km????

ummmm, 99% of peeps in the US dont comprende km's, pls translate...

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmi
My '06 BT, KC, 4x4 all stock except a topper gets almost exactly what the sticker says. i.e. 13 mpg city and 17 mpg highway. 87 octane only. I just got back from a 300 mile road trip and got 16.4 but I was doing 80-85 on the freeway bucking a head wind. The worst I ever got was 12.4 driving around town. I TRY and keep my foot out of it in town. Its a truck with a big a$$ V8. What do you want? Toyo's, Fords, etc are the same way.

Hey jbglenn! How's the Greatland? I used to live up that way. Do you have a block heater? Cool avatar! USAF 81-85.
Not to hijack the thread but it's nice. No block heater, I just use syntheic. It doesn' take long for the big ol V-8 to heat up.

2007 SE Granite C/C 4X4 BT,OR,RF,Bed Package
Born 12/18/06 in Mississippi/ adopted 03/31/07 in Anchorage. Man that stork had a good drive.

Improved with Westin black aluminum nerf bars, Husky floor liners, Vent visors, Full billett grill, Black XE door handles,American racing Teflon THUG'S, Top Dawg folding tonneau cover, AEM brute force CAI with prefilter,
PRG 4INCH PERF Package with Saw's, Two 12 volt tech underseat subs with CDT 4100 and cdt replacment door speakers,MD DVD player with 8.5 screen Shift Pass You
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nothing with a big gurly V8 like ours is getting "good" fuel mileage. It just goes with the territory I guess. If mileage is what's needed and you don't need all that brawn for hauling, try the smaller Frontier with it's hefty V6.
Quote:
Its a truck with a big a$$ V8. What do you want?
Quote:
but ive resigned myself to the fact that its a truck, and "bad" gas milage goes w the beast.
I understand that it is a large truck with a large V8 and that it will not get great gas mileage. However, I also know that the truck is listed at something like 13city 17hwy and that a lot of people on these forums get pretty close to that, and I don't think that 11mpg is what I should be getting, especially considering the fact that I probably never go above 2000 or 2500RPM, have the smallest tires available on a Titan, have them pretty close to correct pressure (36psi), etc.

I just wanted to find out if there could be something wrong with something in particular on my truck that is causing the bad gas mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top