How much gas does idling burn? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ZeroPt99
How much gas does idling burn?

Anyone have any kind of scan guage type equipment that they can measure this with?

I'm really interested in knowing how long it takes at idle to burn a gallon of gasoline in our trucks, or having some way to figure out the rate of fuel consumed at idle.

Did a search, didn't see anything right off, but if it's been figured out before, let me know.

I figure that for every 3 or 4 of those hybrid cars out there, I'm undoing whatever good they do for the planet. Sorry bout that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 AM
Banned

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Re: How much gas does idling burn?

I "think" it's about 3/4-1 gallon per hour. I know that's a big difference but maybe it will help in your calculations.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:42 AM

Something I read (can't remember where) stated that idling burns about 1/2 mile's worth of gas for every minute it sits idling, so if you get 15 miles to the gallon, you burn 1 gallon every 30 minutes while idling
#4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to ZeroPt99

So are those estimates "Titan specific" or just kind of general rules of thumb for any vehicle?

I always wonder "is it worth it to let a vehicle idle in cold weather until it gets to operating temp and the whole truck is nice and warm when you get in, or are you really just wasting a buttload of gas"?

It used to not be an issue when gas was cheaper, but it's getting to be more and more of a concern. One article I read suggested it was worth the wear and tear on your starter in contrast to saved fuel to shut your vehicle off if you would be stopped for more than 10 seconds.

This makes me think "if I'm sitting in a long bank teller line in the dead of summer, am I wasting SO much gas that it's worth it to turn the truck off and sit there, sweating my balls off?"

I figure that for every 3 or 4 of those hybrid cars out there, I'm undoing whatever good they do for the planet. Sorry bout that.

Last edited by ZeroPt99; 07-17-2008 at 07:49 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPt99
So are those estimates "Titan specific" or just kind of general rules of thumb for any vehicle?
Mine is Titan specific from my ScanguageII. I'm not so sure about that "equation" for our trucks.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 AM

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,952 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Yeah my scangauge say about .5 GPH
#7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,298 Times in 2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPharmr
Something I read (can't remember where) stated that idling burns about 1/2 mile's worth of gas for every minute it sits idling, so if you get 15 miles to the gallon, you burn 1 gallon every 30 minutes while idling
I heard the exact same thing on the news this morning!

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time,
But always enough time to do it again?

Zlacher whore™
#8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM

http://www.hamiltoncountyrecycles.or...ng/IdleFAQ.htm

[
#9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPt99
Anyone have any kind of scan guage type equipment that they can measure this with?

I'm really interested in knowing how long it takes at idle to burn a gallon of gasoline in our trucks, or having some way to figure out the rate of fuel consumed at idle.

Did a search, didn't see anything right off, but if it's been figured out before, let me know.

Thanks for asking this. I spend a lot of time idling while conducting surveillance and have often wondered how much I'm wasting. The heat here makes it impossible to sit with the engine off and I can't roll down the windows.

2005 LE 4x4,Big Tow,Leer 700 tonneau
Flowmaster 40 with dual 18" tips,Weathertech mats,K&N Drop-In w/ redneck mod,5% tint, NCD Leveling kit,
Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/60R 18, 5 spoke chrome swap, Bilstiens front and rear, Parrot 6100
XM XPress RC,iPad 2 64gb 3G/Wifi, iPhone 4,Garmin 205w, Infiniti Basslink, Bedliner'd steprails and hooks, billets,
and full insurance coverage with KIMBER, USA
#10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM

I don't believe that it wouldn't cause extra wear on the battery and starter though. I say...let it run!

[

Last edited by HudsonValleyTitan; 07-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:08 PM

I must reply...I'm no expert in any way whatsoever. I do remember hearing time after time that idling is 1. The worst thing for any engine (other than initial cold start) 2. The absolute worst mileage possible, of course. 3. If you anticipate longer than a 1 minute stop (generaly) it is better to kill engine then restart when needed. A note about 'warming' an engine. Like the manual says (I actually believe this) it's best to start then possibly idle for no more than about 30 seconds then drive gently until temp is up to norm then drive normally.

My 2 cents.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 PM

In school we learned that the amount of fuel consumed during initial startup cold is about ~30 seconds worth of fuel consumed while idling and ~18 seconds worth while the engine is hot. I cut the engine in long slow lines and train crossings.

2005 Galaxy black XE 4X4 - NCD 2.5" leveling kit - K&N Drop in filter and airbox snorkel "chop off" mod - Goodyear Wrangler tires with Silent Armor
#13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Hauler
In school we learned that the amount of fuel consumed during initial startup cold is about ~30 seconds worth of fuel consumed while idling and ~18 seconds worth while the engine is hot. I cut the engine in long slow lines and train crossings.
I do the same kind of thing. Also off at lights that I know the timing of when appropriate, ATMs etc... Idling also causes excessive deposits in chamber, correct???
#14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 AM

gallon an hour for this engine give or take. depending on how many electronics you are running.

and yes, i dont turn the engine off till im done driving for the day. ive idled all my vehicles since the day i got them and never had any component failure that other people seem to be plagued by. cycling an engine cycles all systems and sensors, keep that in mind.

My TT status expired! Time flies! Please don't thank me in any posts. I never cared for that nonsense and in fact hate it. So dont do it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top