best way ever to save gas - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: best way ever to save gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneE
What's the break even point with the bike where you start saving money?

If your bike is new, it was probably $7500 or so. I have about $2000 in gear that I wear when I ride, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you already had gear since you bought an open class bike.

$140 @ $4/gallon is ~35 gallons of gas. At an average of 14mpg that's almost 500 miles/week. Driving a motorcycle 500 miles a week @ 40mpg would be about 12 gallons which is $48. You're saving $90/week in gas.

So assuming you never drive the truck, it would be $7500/$90 - 83 weeks just based on the purchase price and gas at $4/gallon. That doesn't take into account insurance or the fact that large bore bikes are more maintenance intensive than cars or smaller bikes - they eat chains/sprockets/tires/brake pads much faster.

If you want to 2 wheel it, that's cool. But buying a literbike isn't necessarily saving money - you're just using it for another vehicles vs. putting it in the tank of your pickup.

First its a vtwin not a liter bike, second I save about $275 dollars a month in gas (just driving to work during the week, I'm not including working my second job every weekend or any of the other places I'm constantly going) the bike plus ins. every month is about $200, so I get a new bike and save minimum $75 dollars a month plus saving all the miles on my truck. Maybe its not the most efficient choice out there but you'd have a hard time finding a more entertaining one.

TITAN TOUGH BABY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,103 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Like everyone else said be careful. We lost 3 people I work with due to motorcycle accidents in the last 4 months. One pilot, and 2 mechanics, because everyone is trying to save gas. Well one isn't dead, but has a broken back and no face. He will never walk again and has two little girls. And yes he was wearing a helment, but the 18 wheeler that cut him off crushed the helment.
#18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:29 PM

iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae0713
First its a vtwin not a liter bike, second I save about $275 dollars a month in gas (just driving to work during the week, I'm not including working my second job every weekend or any of the other places I'm constantly going) the bike plus ins. every month is about $200, so I get a new bike and save minimum $75 dollars a month plus saving all the miles on my truck. Maybe its not the most efficient choice out there but you'd have a hard time finding a more entertaining one.
It is a liter. 1000cc of displacement = one liter. Doesn't matter if it's a twin, or an inline 4. Liter is liter is liter.

2006 Nissan Titan XE C/C - Granite, XE Preferred Pkg, Flowmaster SI/DO Muffler, 2* advance, 2.5" PRG Spacer, Pro-Comp ES9000 rear shocks, chrome door handles.

2008 Carson FL162 Fun Runner Toyhauler

Jump to top