Nissan Titan Forum banner

Rocker Panel + Bed Coating =

27K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  54warrior 
#1 ·
Today's project folks!!!

There was no paint left on the lower rear portion of my rocker panels right in front of the tires (see attached). I've been experimenting with Dupli-Color's Truck Bed Spray Coatin over the past 1.5 years, and have found that it is pretty durable stuff. I've coated my Total Chaos Shackles, Tow Hooks, Rear Fender Wells, and also the "Impact" Struts on my my Pro Comp Lift Kit. The stuff has held up extremely well, so I decided to bite the bullet.

Started by masking off the area I wanted to paint.

Sanded it. (this was the most painful part)

Cleaned it.

Sprayed 3 coats of the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating.

Now I'm just hoping that it holds up well!!!

Didn't decide to do this till about 5:30 this afternoon, and since I had ran out of tape, and darkness was approaching, I decided to finish the driver's side tomorrow!

All told, once I go back and buy another roll of tape tomorrow morning, I will have $45 tied up into this project. Far cheaper than the 'wrap' idea that I had been dreaming of, and with any luck, more effective as well.

Still have to reinstall my N-Fab steps as well!

Oh well, enough of my ramblings, here are some pictures!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good. Excellent idea as well

#4 ·
Looks great! I know the Xterra guys have been using that stuff on their wheels and bumpers with great results. It can take a beating.

#5 ·
Haha, no one has noticed my neighbor's hearse in the second picture yet! lol

#7 ·
Now that's a great job...... I love when guys take the time to prep correctly.

Nice angles on the tape job.

#8 ·
That's looking pretty good, 54! That'll look cool with the new N-Fabs!

#9 ·
Do you have any pics of the lined rear fender wells? Kinda diggin the idea of that.

#10 ·
Sorry, no pics of the fender wells, thought I did, but must have deleted them. About two years ago, I noticed that the factory applied under-coating was peeling off, so I thought that this area would be an excellent test of the Dupli-Color Bed Coating stuff. It has held up well!

Also attached some pics of the finished product this morning w/ the N-Fab Steps back on.

Thanks for the comments/compliments fellas. I just hope it holds up. One good thing is that if it starts chipping, I can get another can and re-spray it. Shouldn't be a big ordeal like paint.

Attachments

#11 ·
I kinda like the green stripe actually!!!

#12 ·
Ya know, weird as this sounds... I do too!!! :lol: That looks good Warrior! I like the way it seems to have "trimmed" down the waistline of the truck.. It's like a phantom rocker panel or something... That's really cool! Nicely done!

#15 ·
I think he fell in a huge bin of rice :gotrice: and was never heard from again... :dunno:

#17 ·
Update.... this schtuff really seems to be holding up well so far. There is one spot on the corner of the RR door that has flaked off, but I attribute that to poor prep. I'll just redo that small area in the springtime.

#18 ·
Wow, that looks REALLY GOOD!! This might be a project I might do in the future...

BTW, I'm curious as to why you didn't continue the lining after the rear wheels and to the rear bumper?:confused:

#23 ·
Here's a picture of the part that chipped off... as you can see, it's right on a corner bend and I recall not sanding it too well in that area.

Attachments

#24 ·
looks good warrior, I was thinking of doing the same thing but doing both bumpers as well. Seems like a good way to really protect the most vulnerable painted surface.

#25 · (Edited)
The lower rear panels look the same on mine. You should see it on a black truck. It's more white than anything right now.

Did you sand down to bare metal, prime and then paint Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating on?

Is it in a spray can or did you use a spray gun?

I have been thinking of doing this also.

I wonder how this would work on the door sills?

#26 ·
I sanded it, but not down to bare metal. The stuff comes in a spray can, which is about $8 or $9 each.

#27 ·
54warrior, how many cans did you use? I'm thinking of doing that to mine. I've got some nasty scratches on the rocker panel. thanks. looks good

#28 ·
I think it was 2 cans, maybe 3???

#34 ·
This stuff has worked out great. There are only 2 spots where it has really flaked off of, and they are spots that I simply didn't sand well enough, in the door jambs.

I would recommend to anyone!

#35 ·
Jason,

How has this held up for you? Going to be doing some rust repair and painting the bottom section with this truck bed coating on my fathers F150.

#37 ·
how much masking did you do above the tape line
looks good

#38 ·
Today's project folks!!!

There was no paint left on the lower rear portion of my rocker panels right in front of the tires (see attached). I've been experimenting with Dupli-Color's Truck Bed Spray Coatin over the past 1.5 years, and have found that it is pretty durable stuff. I've coated my Total Chaos Shackles, Tow Hooks, Rear Fender Wells, and also the "Impact" Struts on my my Pro Comp Lift Kit. The stuff has held up extremely well, so I decided to bite the bullet.

Started by masking off the area I wanted to paint.

Sanded it. (this was the most painful part)

Cleaned it.

Sprayed 3 coats of the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating.

Now I'm just hoping that it holds up well!!!

Didn't decide to do this till about 5:30 this afternoon, and since I had ran out of tape, and darkness was approaching, I decided to finish the driver's side tomorrow!

All told, once I go back and buy another roll of tape tomorrow morning, I will have $45 tied up into this project. Far cheaper than the 'wrap' idea that I had been dreaming of, and with any luck, more effective as well.

Still have to reinstall my N-Fab steps as well!

Oh well, enough of my ramblings, here are some pictures!
Man that’s a hell of a job! It came out nice.

#39 ·
It's still holding up all these years later too. That post was from 2008.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.