Replacing rear brakes - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Replacing rear brakes

I need to replace rear pads and rotors soon. I plan on doing it myself. Any tricks or suprises I should be aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 1,075 Times in 761 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Re: Replacing rear brakes

here you go from the Titan service manual for your 2005
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img004.jpg
Views:	3801
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	65594   Click image for larger version

Name:	img005.jpg
Views:	2792
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	65595  

2014 Silver Ram Laramie 4x4 w/ leather and Alpine sound
2008 Red Brawn Titan SE 4x4 Popular package
[
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Sweet! Thanks!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Premium User

Thanked 1,075 Times in 761 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

your welcome, if you need anything more just pm me

2014 Silver Ram Laramie 4x4 w/ leather and Alpine sound
2008 Red Brawn Titan SE 4x4 Popular package
[
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM

Ok, the front change went perfect, the rears however have not.

The stupid manual says "remove rear rotor." well thanks for all the help Nissan... I cannot get the rear rotors to come off. I can rotate them and see they are loose as they turn and hit the wheel studs both clockwise and counter clockwise. However, when I try to pull them straight off one side hangs up on what I believe is the silly e-brake on the inside. I'm not a hammer kind of guy so I can't bring myself to whack the crap out of ity to get the one side loose.

Is there somekind of secret? Do I need to release the e-brake from the backside or something?

And BTW- I'm very, very disapointed with how the rears have worn. The rotor looks like crap at 40k miles and my contact patch is just a small fraction of the entire surface and the pads are hardly worn. It's like these back brakes are along for the ride and the bias is way too front heavy.

I'm sick and tired of all the problems...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad T View Post
Ok, the front change went perfect, the rears however have not...
I haven't changed mine yet, so can't help you. But I will be having to tackle this job soon. What replacements are you going with?

06 SE KC, 4x4 BT OR Smoke; Level kit; 2* Advance; Dominator II Steps; Aux. reverse lights; Frozen Rotors Slotted / Hawk Performance LTS pads; Bilstein 5100s; PRG UCAs; Airaid MXP; JBA Cat Back
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHMTitan View Post
I haven't changed mine yet, so can't help you. But I will be having to tackle this job soon. What replacements are you going with?
My Titan is just a work horse, it ain't some fancy tricked out ride, I have 2-cars that I spend my mod money on. With that said I'm only interested in solid dependable function, I'm not looking for all sorts of flashy parts.

I have had awesome luck with Centric Premium Rotors on my track cars, and that is what is on the front of the Titan now, and still on the garage floor for the rears.

Pads though, differnt subject. I bought EBC Green Stuff and I would say NEVER EVER buy them! They perform great, but they are just way too dust, they make the OEM pads look like the cleanest thing is the world.

Auto Parts and Discount Truck Parts at Car Parts Wholesale.com
All 4 rotors - Centric Premium - $195.02 + shipping
Front $47.07 x 2 + Rear $50.44 x 2

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, the front change went perfect, the rears however have not.

The stupid manual says "remove rear rotor." well thanks for all the help Nissan... I cannot get the rear rotors to come off. I can rotate them and see they are loose as they turn and hit the wheel studs both clockwise and counter clockwise. However, when I try to pull them straight off one side hangs up on what I believe is the silly e-brake on the inside. I'm not a hammer kind of guy so I can't bring myself to whack the crap out of ity to get the one side loose.

Is there somekind of secret? Do I need to release the e-brake from the backside or something?

And BTW- I'm very, very disapointed with how the rears have worn. The rotor looks like crap at 40k miles and my contact patch is just a small fraction of the entire surface and the pads are hardly worn. It's like these back brakes are along for the ride and the bias is way too front heavy.
Quad T,

I believe you have run into the same problem I ran into when I tried to remove my rear rotors. I actually never went so far as to actually get mine off. On most other vehicles I’ve owned there was always a star wheel access hole on the back-side which would allow you to insert a flat bladed screw driver and relax the pressure on the pads. It appears our Titans only have an adjustment nut located under the dash on the e-peddle. I guess I’d try and loosen it up to see if it helps.

2006 LE KC 4X4 BT, Radiant Silver
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Scan Gauge II
Firestone Air Springs
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's
A.R.E. Z-Series Cap
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thclimer View Post
I actually never went so far as to actually get mine off.
Yup, I'm in the same boat, fresh parts on the floor in the garage, and no clue how to get the rotors off. I asked my dealer and they said use a hammer, and as I said before, I'm not thrilled about that idea because in my situation it is not going to be some light taps but some serious pounding.

NOTE- never had a problem on my Honda's because of this...

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yup, I'm in the same boat, fresh parts on the floor in the garage, and no clue how to get the rotors off. I asked my dealer and they said use a hammer, and as I said before, I'm not thrilled about that idea because in my situation it is not going to be some light taps but some serious pounding.

Ya I'm not too sure I'd start whacking it with a hammer. Since you have said it is wiggling around I believe it's the e-brake shoes, which are hung up. I'd try taking all the tension off the cable by backing off the adjusting nut up under the dash.

Let us know how you resolve it.

Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Scan Gauge II
Firestone Air Springs
A.R.E. Z-Series Cap
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM

Look from the back of the backing plate mounted to the axle housing, for a rectangular or oblong rubber plug. It could be on the top, bottom, frontward or rearward on the plate. You should be able to access the parking brake adjustment wheel. If someone with a service manual can check "Parking brake adjustment/replacement" to see if they explain how it's done, chime in.

2006 KC, SE 4X4, BT
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 6MT
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.TEE View Post
Look from the back of the backing plate mounted to the axle housing, for a rectangular or oblong rubber plug. It could be on the top, bottom, frontward or rearward on the plate. You should be able to access the parking brake adjustment wheel. If someone with a service manual can check "Parking brake adjustment/replacement" to see if they explain how it's done, chime in.
At least on my 2006 LE there is no access slot to adjust the star wheel with flat bladed screwdriver. Like you mentioned, other vehicles I’ve owned always had the rubber plug. I believe someone mentioned you might be able to access the star wheel between the rotor and the dust shield but I have yet to confirm this.

Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Scan Gauge II
Firestone Air Springs
A.R.E. Z-Series Cap
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Premium User

Thanked 60,199 Times in 18,944 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:

PM sent...

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I don't care that I'm insensitive
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 AM

I had trouble removing rear rotor....but was able to remove it with lubricants and banging with hammer.....just as if it was coming off any vehicle...trick is lubricants, banging left and right, up and down on rotor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke05 View Post
I need to replace rear pads and rotors soon. I plan on doing it myself. Any tricks or suprises I should be aware of?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Just repalced mine a few weeks ago... took about 10 minutes to do both sides... Just get a pry bar behind the rotor put some pressure on it then hit around it with a hammer, then move the pry bar to the other side and repeat... keep doing this till eventually it slips off the ebrake. Good luck sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top