Clicking noise under dash while driving - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Clicking noise under dash while driving

In the last week i have heard a clicking noise coming from under the dash near the underside of the steering column. It only happens when I am driving at highway speeds and it will start clicking rapidly for about 1-2 seconds and then stop clicking. It sounds like a solenoid chattering when you have a dead battery and there is not enough juice to power the solenoid.
It has happened about three times so far, the first time I had a bag on the passenger seat, so I though maybe it was just enough weight to engage and disengage the passenger airbag sensor, so I put the bag on the floor. The next day it happened again while driving, nothing on the passenger seat, so that throws that theory out the window. It seems to do it only when it is cold outside. Have no idea what it is and doesn't seem to affect the performance or operation of the titan, but sure would like to know what it is before something does go wrong. Any ideas? Anyone else had this problem and get it figured out? No codes or warning lights on the dash when it happens, so I have to assume it is not anything to do with the engine. I turned everything off as far as radio, lights, heater, and any other accessory sources last time and it still happened......I am at a loss at this point. It doesn't happen long enough for me to pull over and trace where the noise is specifically coming from, I can just tell you it is coming from under the dash, just to the right of the accellerator pedal.

2005 Nissan Titan KC SE 4X2 Tow package, popular package, drop in bedliner, Bilstien 5100's, running boards, 2* advance, 18" wheels, Rear sonar, adjustable pedals, 6-disc in dash CD, full frontal brush guard, heated mirrors, head mounted driver info center, auto adjust rear view mirror, home link system, Flowmaster Super 44 hidden dual exhaust, PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors, Cobra LTD 29 40 channel CB with dual antennas, tool box w/ black diamond plate, Firestone Destination LE RWL Tires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Re: Clicking noise under dash while driving

Mine does the same thing if I leave the fan switch on. Do you have the manual dial or Climate Control? If it's the manual, I bet you a doughnut, it's the fan switch. Mine hasn't quit working or anything, just clicks intermittently on cold startup when the fan is on low. I just got in the habit of turning the fan off when I get out- problem went away.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmshay6 View Post
Mine does the same thing if I leave the fan switch on. Do you have the manual dial or Climate Control? If it's the manual, I bet you a doughnut, it's the fan switch. Mine hasn't quit working or anything, just clicks intermittently on cold startup when the fan is on low. I just got in the habit of turning the fan off when I get out- problem went away.
Yea, i thought it might be that also but the last time it did it, everything was off (lights, A/C/fan controls, radio), it really doesn't sound like a noise that would come from a switch, sounds louder than that, more like a heavy duty solenoid (metal on metal clacking). Thanks for the response though.

2005 Nissan Titan KC SE 4X2 Tow package, popular package, drop in bedliner, Bilstien 5100's, running boards, 2* advance, 18" wheels, Rear sonar, adjustable pedals, 6-disc in dash CD, full frontal brush guard, heated mirrors, head mounted driver info center, auto adjust rear view mirror, home link system, Flowmaster Super 44 hidden dual exhaust, PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors, Cobra LTD 29 40 channel CB with dual antennas, tool box w/ black diamond plate, Firestone Destination LE RWL Tires

#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 1,003 Times in 609 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

I'm starting to have a similar problem. Mine as I discovered is the HVAC control selector switch. There are flaps that open an close depending where you want the air to go. Sometimes they will stick and if you move the selector or increase the air output it will make those same sound that the OP mentioned. When I move the selector from defrost to face/feet it will make that sound for a minute or two then stop. Sometimes I hear it in the morning on first startup. It sound like a clacking (metal to metal) like the OP described. Still trying to figure out how to fix it myself, when I do I'll post it.

L

My Galaxy '05 XE 4x1 modest mods:

Bilsteins HD, PRG adj. shackles, PRG swaybar endlinks, Stillen front and rear swaybar, RAS, Stillen Rad, BD PP, S&B CAI, DT LT's, Berk MP, SS Zoomers catback, Mag-Hytec rear diff cover, CF dash kit.

"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius."

Last edited by BBtruck; 02-23-2009 at 01:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBtruck For This Useful Post:
Titan-ization (02-23-2009)
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 AM

Thumbs up Re: Clicking noise under dash while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtruck View Post
I'm starting to have a similar problem. Mine as I discovered is the HVAC control selector switch. There are flaps that open an close depending where you want the air to go. Sometimes they will stick and if you move the selector or increase the air output it will make those same sound that the OP mentioned. When I move the selector from defrost to face/feet it will make that sound for a minute or two then stop. Sometimes I hear it in the morning on first startup. It sound like a clacking (metal to metal) like the OP described. Still trying to figure out how to fix it myself, when I do I'll post it.

L

Thanks BB, you are the second one to mention this as the issue I am having, I will have to look into this myself and see if I can find a root cause. If I do, I will post up a fix.

Mike

#6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 AM

This is gonna sound moronic...lol...I know but, I once heard this clicking noise while driving and well...here goes....it was my friggin' keys! The stupid "TITAN" logo'd key chain was tapping the plastic under the ignition! Other than that, I can't say I've heard the same you guys have.

[
The Following User Says Thank You to HudsonValleyTitan For This Useful Post:
Titan-ization (02-23-2009)
#7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValleyTitan View Post
This is gonna sound moronic...lol...I know but, I once heard this clicking noise while driving and well...here goes....it was my friggin' keys! The stupid "TITAN" logo'd key chain was tapping the plastic under the ignition! Other than that, I can't say I've heard the same you guys have.

LOL, yea, this sound is defenitely not my keys, but thank you anyway for pointing this out because I have never really thought about that before. But I can say without a doubt that the sound I am hearing is not coming from my keys. It is a very rapid clicking sound, the "speed" of the clicking sound is similar to the sound you hear when you put a poker card in the spokes of a bike wheel.

#8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 AM

hmmmmm. i know that if u sit in ur Titan ater turning the ignition off, after a few minutes you'll hear a few "clicks and clanks", and i was told thats just the dash's electronics re-setting themselves. but w ur prob while its running, i dont know?

The Following User Says Thank You to phugoid For This Useful Post:
Titan-ization (02-25-2009)
#9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 AM

I had this same problem...again a stupid fix

The passenger seatbelt did not retract all the way up and it was hanging limp, and it would make a clicking as the buckle hit the plastic of the passenger door. At first it sounded like it came from the dash, but then I realized what it was and now after someone sits there I just have to make sure I help the seatbelt come all the way back up or it will make a noise similar to what you described. I hope your fix is as easy as mine was!

2005 Titan LE King Cab 4x4 Offroad Big Tow FFV.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

2012 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - Wife's ride
The Following User Says Thank You to NBhunter80 For This Useful Post:
#10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM

I had the same clicks from under the dash, like the sound of the relays. I don't know what caused it but I know when it happened. It only happened after I parked the car outside. I never heard it in the morning after parked in the garage but only after work, after I parked outside for the whole day. It only happened in the cold weather. In the last 4 months, I parked indoor at work and I haven't heard it since. I think it has something to do with the air/humidity and causes some vent to close/open like someone mentioned above.
The Following User Says Thank You to amati5 For This Useful Post:
#11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amati5 View Post
I had the same clicks from under the dash, like the sound of the relays. I don't know what caused it but I know when it happened. It only happened after I parked the car outside. I never heard it in the morning after parked in the garage but only after work, after I parked outside for the whole day. It only happened in the cold weather. In the last 4 months, I parked indoor at work and I haven't heard it since. I think it has something to do with the air/humidity and causes some vent to close/open like someone mentioned above.

Yup, I am thinking this is my problem too, happened again this morning one time on the way to work, it was 17* outside, only happens when it is cold it seems like. Only last about 1-2 seconds and then stops.....really wierd.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titan-ization For This Useful Post:
WOLFYURASH (12-26-2013)
#12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 AM

My money is on the air mix door solenoid on the heater box,check with your dealer,there is a bulletin out for this repair.

Drive it like you rented it.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan Mike For This Useful Post:
#13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan Mike View Post
My money is on the air mix door solenoid on the heater box,check with your dealer,there is a bulletin out for this repair.
That would sound like a fit to my mysterious noise, will check it out...Thanks

#14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 PM

I am noticing this clicking sound as well, seemed to be behind the gauges in the dash but also from the center towards the windshield. I work at Sears and took an auto tech friend of mine with me and he couldn't identify what it could be either. Was the solenoid the solution? Thanks for any help.
#15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 AM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

my 04 makes tehse same sounds every time I turn on the ignition... it is only for a few seconds then it goes away. I would like to know what it is also.

Jump to top