How to clean the MAF sensor - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How to clean the MAF sensor

I am looking for directions on how to clean the MAF sensor on my 05 Titan LE.

I am having rough idles that sometimes cause the motor to die. It only happens when stopped or LOW rpms, but when driving down the road never has a problem.

The rough idle causes the truck to shake and giving it gas seems to make it go away.

I am looking for ideas. The code I got from the shop they said it was generic and could be 1 of 14 things. They said the PCV valve was dirty and replaced it, and that didnt help.

The other suggestions with the error code was bad plugs, electrical stuff, etc.

Im thinking even being a noob I can probably clean the MAF sensor (read about it on here) and do the plugs, and maybe do the ipdm install if needed.

Any thoughts on the problem, directions on cleaning the MAF sensor, or a place to order a new ipdm is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Re: How to clean the MAF sensor

Also, any suggestions on what new plugs to put in my 05 titan?
#3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Unscrew the sensor and spray lightly with CRC Brand MAF Sensor Cleaner. It is in a green can I think. Most autoparts stores have it now. Cost is about $4 or 5. Gently shake it a little bit and let it dry a minute. Reinstall. Do not touch the sensor insides!

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

MD Chapter Director
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanBlue For This Useful Post:
Dragon21 (05-31-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 PM

Again, pardon my COMPLETE ignorance, but im trying to find out WHAT it is, and WHERE it is.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM

It is located in the air intake tube next to the air filter box. The plastic housing that holds the MAF sensor is bolted to the air box and a hose clamp connects the housing to the air intake tube. There will also be an electrical connection to this housing. Remove the housing and inside of it will be a little tube that has holes in it for the sensor to do its job. spray the cleaner in there and shake out the excess. You can use the above listed cleaner or an electric contact cleaner. DO NOT use a carburator or brake cleaner. These will leave a residue film on the sensor and it will not work properly.

2008.5 CC Pro4X, PRG minilift, Truxedo LoPro cover, more to come pending the funds
#6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:29 PM

Is the piece that comes out of the tube, and the power plugs into, the MAF sensor? That entire metal piece I just spray? Or the small rectangular hole at the bottom (opposite of the plug in) just spray in that small hole?

Also, should that entire metal piece show dirt and be dirty? Its clean so I wasnt sure if a spray cleaning is necessary...

Last edited by MujZeptu; 04-03-2009 at 05:55 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Ok, I think I got it figured out.

It looks like it has helped some with the rough idle issues. It seems to come out of the dying knock faster. So, should I try cleaning it more? Buy a new one? Or could it be something else?
#8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujZeptu View Post

It looks like it has helped some with the rough idle issues. It seems to come out of the dying knock faster. So, should I try cleaning it more? Buy a new one? Or could it be something else?
How long did you spray it with cleaner? Just a few squirts or a few seconds of constant spraying? If it seemed to have helped a little I would try to clean it again using a longer spray time shake it a little then spray again. Let it dry out and put it all together and test. While cleaning you might want to disconnect the battery to allow the ecm to reset. To get a new one could cost quite a bit of money. However, since you say it is only at idle that you experience the problems it may not be the MAF that is the problem.

It could be any number of things due to these engines having a lot of sensors all over the place and computers controlling everything. Just start going through the air intake system, i.e. filter, maf, intake tube, any vacuum lines. If anything looks bad or out of place inspect it closer. It maight also help if you had access to a code reader/diagnostic tool you could plug into the OBD connector to check the system while running the engine. These electronically controlled engines are very complicated system for a novice to troubleshoot. I am not saying I am an expert though. There are quite a few others here that are.

edit: by the way.. Do you remember what the code was that you got?

2008.5 CC Pro4X, PRG minilift, Truxedo LoPro cover, more to come pending the funds
#9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanBlue View Post
Unscrew the sensor and spray lightly with CRC Brand MAF Sensor Cleaner. It is in a green can I think. Most autoparts stores have it now. Cost is about $4 or 5. Gently shake it a little bit and let it dry a minute. Reinstall. Do not touch the sensor insides!
hey, that's what i have! stuff works like a charm! my idle was rough and up and down, inconsistent. one day i was walking thru autozone and saw the can of CRC just sitting there in an odd spot on the shelf. i looked and read what it did. figured, hmmm... i wonder if it really works... bought it, read the instructions, went thru the steps, cleaned the maf and voila! idle is smooth and it rarely pulses like it used to. damn K&N type filters get over-oiled and that red sh!t gets stuck on the maf...

#10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujZeptu View Post

Spray the crap out of it per the can instructions and let dry. You can't over-clean it. If you don't have a SES light, and the trucks idling rough, I don't see cleaning the MAF fixing it but, it can't hurt. If you have an oiled hi-flow air filter, clean it often. As forthe plugs, how many miles are on your 05? The factory plugs are platinum NGKs good for 105k miles. You have probably one of the best plugs you can get already in there.

[
#11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM

I Just Cleaned My MAF Sensor. I have a Banks Air Intake and a Magnaflow Muffler. I have no reprogramming on my ECU so its stock. My 05 Titan has around 105k miles on it. I've maintained my truck since its purchase myself and just last year all my fluids where replaced, spark plugs, and I just washed my air intake filter. I wondered about the MAF sensor and Throttle Body and if either needed maintance. I wish I came to this conclusion sooner when my truck was still new and with all my MODS, I could have had better performance. I knew no filter is perfect in capturing contaminates, so I imagined the MAF sensor would probably get dirty after some time. I then read as much as I could to try to understand the function of the MAF, and what could happen if it was dirty. So my T has 105k miles on her and sure enough my MAF sensor had residue. I took some pics so you could see what it looked like dirty and then cleaned. After removing the neg battery cable and removing the MAF S, I sprayed a few times maybe six time with a 1 or 2 sec spray action using the CRC MAF Cleaner. I probably could have sprayed more but didn't. To tell the truth I was a little nervous using this stuff, but went ahead and cleaned it. Afterwards spending 8 dollars for such a simple task it was well worth it. Seriously I noticed some power gains and my shifts were smoother and quicker than when it was dirty!!!! Talking to people about the MAF and the Throttle Body, some said the Throttle Body can affect shifting, but I did not imagine the MAF sensor would affect shifting performance also!!!! My task to tackle next is the Throttle Body... Im nervous about cleaning that too after reading other posts, but Im hoping if I disconnect the battery I won't affect the position of the butterfly if I move it a little when I clean around it. Hopefully it will just re-set itself after I reconnect the neg battery cable. I PRAY!!!!!! Oh one other maintance Ive been doing to help improve performance is that Ive been using Lucas fuel injection cleaner every fill up for over a month now as it seems the safest to use. Alright heres the pics of my MAF Sensor.

Last edited by dragonballzgtvegeta; 03-22-2012 at 07:58 PM.
#12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Thx for the info. My SES was on recently and I pulled codes for mass air flow and system too rich, so ripped apart my intake and found it a little dusty inside. Just finished reoiling my filter after cleaning the crap off yesterday. When removing my maf sensor and tube it fits in, I noticed dust had been leaking in at the sensor itself(past the little rubber seal), so this time I put it back together I'll use some automotive sensor safe silicon for a sure seal. Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker.

What can go wrong if you don't unplug neg terminal and when removing maf sensor? I considered cleaning my throttle body as well while it was all apart but guess I'll read some more before I mess with that!

Also, the hole on the sensor shown in the pic above, when installing the sensor does that hole face the filter or the throttle body? I failed to notice on removal.... >.<

Last edited by skreamz; 03-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Hole faces the filter...make sure you removed excess oil from filter so it doesn't gunk up the MAF sensor again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Big A For This Useful Post:
skreamz (03-19-2013)
#14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Hole faces the filter...make sure you removed excess oil from filter so it doesn't gunk up the MAF sensor again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Cheers thx mate, will do

Jump to top