titan vs. tundra - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
titan vs. tundra

Im looking to buy a new truck and i was deciding between the new titan and the new tundra. and i just wanted to know what types of issues u guys have had with your titan during offroading. i want a truck that can handle my almost daily offroading and also have lots of power for towing. thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM

Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,922 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vilim12
Re: titan vs. tundra

Cleaning it sucks, thats the only issue Ive had
and btw the Titan isnt new lol,

2008 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC LWB Smoke
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

the titan has ALOT more ground clearance compared to the tundra. the tundra is taller, but looks can be deceiving. compare how much clearance you have between the two by looking under both and measuring.

other than that, both are reliable trucks for towing. just make sure you hook up the one you choose with GOOD aftermarket suspension if you plan on doing the occasional off roading.

'06 Smoke XE CC FFV
Mods: AEM Intake, Stillen Dual Rear Exhaust, 2° Timing, 8k HIDs, 2" Leveling, Deaver C-30 pack, rear Bilsteins, PRG DCBB, 18x8.5 AR Marins, BFG AT KO 305/65r18, Custom Grill, color-matched rear bumper, smoked tail lights, debadged I need new pictures

"Taste the rainbow." -Shakespeare
Loading Swag...
████████████████ 100%
Complete.

Last edited by albonismo; 04-07-2009 at 11:07 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM

You can get the Pro 4X package in the Titan. That includes a rear locking differential, OR tires, some extra skid plates, lower gearing and some cosmetic differences from other models. As far as I know the OR version of the Tundra is just tires, skid plates and cosmetic. The Titan has been the best rated truck off road in all truck comparisons that I have seen. The Tundra seems to be a let down in terms of "real" truck usage from most opinions that I have personally heard. They are notorious for body flex and bed bounce, not good for off road use. As far as off roading problems, I have had none other than getting stuck, that was due to me pushing my luck. I went through some mud successfully and got ****y and tried to do it again in a deeper area. No stock truck would have been able to make it through that mud. I probably would have been okay if I had better mud tires. I towed a 4500 pound boat once and that is all the towing experience that I have had. I did not even know the boat was back there. I would be willing to say that both the Titan and Tundra will tow around the same level. If I were to tow more than 5000 pounds often, I would get a diesel. Test drive both and see. I think you will like the Titan better and when you get pricing on both, you will see the value in the Titan. It is a BA truck. I drove all of them and nothing compared to the Titan overall. Look up "nissan titan offroad" on youtube. Here are a few links that I found online with a quick search.

Nissan Titan, King of Nissan Off-Roaders | Roadfly.com: Car Reviews & Road Tests

2008 4x4 Nissan Titan Review - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com

2007 Smoke LE
Crew Cab
4X4 with Off Road package

Mods
OEM Nissan brush guard
2.5" Radflo Coilovers front
2" Radflo shocks rear
2 inch Fabtech cast block for lift in rear
PRG upper control arm
PRG off road traction bars
22" Magnaflow muffler with stock pipes
315/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Tires

Last edited by 2007 TITAN LE; 04-07-2009 at 11:05 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

I'd go for Titan over the Tundra. But that's if I had to pick between JUST the two. I test drove the Tundra and on city roads, that thing was BUMPY! going over the same road in my Titan, felt like a car compared to the Tundra..so I could only imagin the banging around you'd get offroad in the Tundra.

Both trucks will pull what you need..hell any truck these days will. The Silverado/Ram/Tundra/Titan all will do the same towing wise..so will the F150, just slower lol

The Titan can be a great truck. Some guys (including myself) have had horrible luck with their trucks, and seeked other options, but honestly, most the guys have had very minor issues and from what's going around with the 08/09 guys, the prior year problems have all been corrected.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,879 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

The Titan has a full boxed frame. The Tundra does not.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanked 1,286 Times in 701 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Both great trucks, can't go wrong with either. Both are better trucks then what the big 3 are offering.

2006 KC TITAN SE 2WD,
THE BEAUTY
RETROFITTED OEM HEADLIGHTS: QUAD PROJECTORS FX-R AND MH1. GATLING SHROUD WITH HIDDEN MORIMOTO ORANGE LED HALOS. POWERED BY MORIMOTO ELITE HID KITS. DEMON EYES

YELLOW FOG LIGHTS, ARMADA LIP SPOILER, 2" DROP SHACKLES, EYELIDS TINTED TAILS. 24" DEMODA DF1 WHEELS, AVH3300 HEAD UNIT, 2 KICKER CVR 12S, MEMPHIS MC AMPS, MEMPHIS MC SPEAKERS/TWEETERS

THE BEAST
BANKS MONSTER CB, CUSTOM 2.5" Y PIPE, BORLA XR1 MUFFLER, AIR RAID 4" CAI , 07 INTAKE MANIFOLD, POWERAID TBS, CAJUN B-PIPES, STILLEN Long Tube Headers, VIBRANT ULTRA QUIET RESONATOR R1 CONCEPTS CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS LTS PADS, BILLSTEIN HDs ALL SROUND, STILLEN 2 ROW ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR, LO-TEK A-PILLAR GUAGE POD, PROSPORT EVO WIDEBAND AFR & OIL PRESSURE & WATER TEMP GAUGES, GO GROUNDING KIT

UPREV TUNED BY JTRAN STUDIOS
#8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 AM

I just bought a Titan a few months ago and was considering the Tundra. Both are great trucks as others have mentioned but you'll get a better deal on the Titan right now with the 5K rebate. Ultimately this is what set the two apart for me. The Titan is also slightly nicer IMO. The interior of the Tundra seemed awkward but I prferred the exterior styling of the tundra...
#9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I must disagree with the one magazine article that the above links take you to about the towing power. I just completed a 3800 plus mile cross country move. I had my 08.5 stock truck with the towing package, my wife, puppy and I in the cab with laptop, camera and a few other things. In the bed I had four sandbags against the front of the bed, two smaller tool boxes and then all our bags and the dog kennel, the bed was full to the top. On the back I had a uhaul auto transport, on the transport I had my wifes jetta full to the brim with crap we needed when we first got to rhode Island. Trailer is 2k empty, her car is about 3600 give or take a couple hundred. I towed over the Washington mountains and all other from there to Rhode Island with all the power in the world. Doing 65-70 uphills, 75 on the flats and averaged about 12 for the whole trip. Some may cringe at this, but total scale weight was 12740 as I rolled over a scale in North Dakota. These trucks have balls, they are comfortable and I would never trade mine. Only addition that will be made is some firestone helper bags to help with the squat of being loaded. Amazing truck, my wife still can't believe how great it was for the trip! Hope that helps! Oh yeah, off road...My 04 had some good offroad time. Skidplates are amazing and I need to get them for the new one. Handled like a champ! Enjoy!

Traded for now, will have one again eventually though! For now i'm sporting a 2012 Jetta 2.5SE

Air bags and onboard air

Pictures of my Mods

-Fellow Homebrewer as well!!!
#10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,713 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Get a Pro-4x, it's a whole lot more truck for your $$$. I'm pretty confident that I could put a Tundra through the wringer. There's a Lifted TRD running around here that I'm pretty sure his M/T's would be his only advantage over mine if I remove my running boards.

2005 Armada LE 4x4
#11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Oh man...you guys are just screaming for Tundraman himself....Skyhammer, to chime in....again!

[
#12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

well the question is do you like catfish?
#13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:07 PM

Why can't people use the search function... There are a couple of these threads around and they all end up to be pretty epic threads... and yeah, what HVT said.

2006 Titan 2wd CC SE Granite w/Big Tow with 144K miles

2006 BMW 330i as my DD
#14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 AM

I might swap out suspension anyways so TRD or Pro 4x wont benefit me at all.

My main question is have you ever had anything bend or damage? Whats the max depth in water the Titan can go?
#15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
I might swap out suspension anyways so TRD or Pro 4x wont benefit me at all.

My main question is have you ever had anything bend or damage? Whats the max depth in water the Titan can go?
Maybe it's a boat you want? lol..anyhow, I've not heard of anyone bending frames or anything like that while offroading. As for swapping suspensions, that's a small part of the PRO-4X. I mostly chose it for the interior and rear locker.

[

Tags
ad eats guano , adam buttphucks catfish , adam dry humps himself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top