Transfer case drain & fill - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transfer case drain & fill

I am going to be draining and refilling both front and back diffs soon. Motor oil too. I also want to do the transfer case too. Never done one before. (have done the diffs and motor before).

Couple of questions
1. Is it as easy as the diffs and motor oil?
2. Are the drain and refill plugs/bolts easy to get too?
3. I have the fluid chart someone posted, so I know I need matic fluid for it, but do I need a hand pump. Someone said you need one for the front diff., I never needed one for that.
4. Anyone have any pics or owner's manual diagrams so I don't drain the Tranny by mistake.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 1,075 Times in 761 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Re: Transfer case drain & fill

the diff's are the easiest. use a 3/8 extension to remove the plugs, drain, wipe off the crud from the plug and install. remove the upper plug and add your diff oil either Mobil1,Amsoil or Royal Purple. Sorry I cant post the service manual, left it home. Just ad the oil until its level with the upper fill plug for the diff's and transferr case

2014 Silver Ram Laramie 4x4 w/ leather and Alpine sound
2008 Red Brawn Titan SE 4x4 Popular package
[
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have done the diffs twice already (2004 SE CC 4x4), once when they were having the initial diff problems and once again when Nissan upgraded the fluid type to 140. I know how to do those. They are easier to do than the motor oil.
The transfer case is the new one to me. So the transfer case has a bottom drain and top refill plug like the diffs do?
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Got this info off a different Titan site. Everyone here must be busy or at work.

"Last was the transfer case. Like the other fluids this proved to be a pretty easy deal. You do need a 10mm hex head to get the drain plug out and when it comes out the fluid shoots back a good 8" or so. I have one of those big 15 quart drain pans/containers that you see at all the parts stores and I positioned it so that the forward edge was just under the back of the transfer case. The fluid stream ended up hitting about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back so that worked out quite well.

The plug much like the others was covered in goop and had quite a few metal shavings on it so I'd highly recommend an early change. The upper fill plug was clean and dry so the fluid level may have been a bit low from the factory. Since the fluid didn't come in a squeeze bottle I had to use a pump to get it in which was a bit interesting because I had to hold the hose in the transfer case. There is something right on the other side of the fill plug that prevents your pushing the hose in. It ended up taking just a shade over two quarts to refill the case. Do be sure to go and get new crush washers from the dealership before you begin.

All in all I'd rate changing the fluids on this truck as being pretty easy. The biggest thing is to be sure and have a catch basin large enough as there is a lot of fluid to catch if youíre doing more than one item. Also with both the engine oil and the transfer case be ready for the fact that the fluid comes out in a veritable torrent. It's certainly the fastest draining oil pan I've ever seen".
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM

You will probably need a fluid pump to get the ATF into the transfer case. Any auto store will have it for a few bucks - I needed one when filling with Mobil 1 ATF.

I'm going to do all my diffs soon too. Royal Purple for the rear diff and Transfer Case.

I'm not sure what I should use for the front diff - RP doesnt make the proper weight oil for the front diff in quarts, its only available in large quantities. What is everyone putting up there?

Also - the pump I bought has been laying in a sealed container for 2 -3 years now - with the old Mobil 1 residual still on there, what's the best and safest way (for the environment) for me to clean that up so I can use it again for the fresh fluid? Just wipe it down and go, or should I make sure its 100% clean?

Born on: 4/11/2005
Signed: 5/21/2005
Delivery: 5/23/2005

05 LE Crew Cab 4X4 SMOKE
Off Road, Big Tow, Navi, DVD, XM, Sunroof, Underseat Storage, Bed Divider, Bed Extender

Aftermarket:
Husky Liners, ActiveTuning Grounding Kit, JetTech Spring Helpers (currently removed), Undercover Tonneau, Lund Interceptor, Wade Window Visors, Fram Boost, Bushwacker Fender Flares, CompuStar 2W900FM-AS, 2* Timing Advance, Siemens HKW-700 Bluetooth Car Kit, Two 11.Kv.2s running of an eD NINe.1 in custom BWR boxes coated with bedliner, 4" PRG Perf Package (SAWs, PRG Arms, 1" Deaver Pack, Bilsteins), 20" Axis Titan rims w/ 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers

Coming Soon:
another new rear end.. haha
trutrac
trac bars
power steps
custom 12" fiberglass sub-box (thanks rcantu!)

Exhaust
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuvMan View Post
I'm not sure what I should use for the front diff - RP doesnt make the proper weight oil for the front diff in quarts, its only available in large quantities. What is everyone putting up there?
I'm sure Mobil 1 or Amsoil in the proper weight would be more than adequate. 80W90 or 75W90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuvMan
Also - the pump I bought has been laying in a sealed container for 2 -3 years now - with the old Mobil 1 residual still on there, what's the best and safest way (for the environment) for me to clean that up so I can use it again for the fresh fluid? Just wipe it down and go, or should I make sure its 100% clean?
Just wipe with a lint-free rag and go. It's an oil change, not a heart transplant.

- 2004 Galaxy Black KC OR 4x4 -
Towing Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch, Nissan aluminum finned diff cover, Amsoil 75w-140 synth gear lube, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, 7-way plug where the 12v bed outlet used to be.

Adam Model 2020 3-horse gooseneck trailer

Last edited by mjw357; 04-08-2009 at 03:33 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

going to be doing this too in a couple weeks. thanks guys

2006 Crew Cab 4X4 SE Big Tow
Performance Mods: 2* Timing Advance, AEM Brute Force CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust, Superchips 91 Tune.
Audio Mods: Alpine Type R Door speakers, Boston Acoustics S35 3.5" 2-way Speakers in the dash.
Other Crap: 8000K HID lows beams, B&W Tow and Stow adjustable Tri ball hitch, Burn out switch, Prodigy brake Control, 2" NCD level and 275/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Mesh Grill
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Got the front and rear diff. fluid cheaper at Wally World. It was the Wally World brand but meh. I was there to get motor oil for the two vehicles anyways. Trucks going in Fri. to have the power steering and brake fluid changed, I will get the Matic D transfer case fluid from them while I am there.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I did mine today too. It was pretty easy. I did buy a torque wrench, and the 10mm hex key, and tightened all the plugs and fill holes to 25 ft. pounds. It didn't seem too much, but I hope it's enough.

I got Royal Purple in the rear, Castrol 80W-90 in the front, and Castrol Matic J compatible in the transfer case. It took longer than I thought, but my fluid pump I got at the parts store was a joke. If I would have had the proper tools, (pump), it would have been done in an hour if not less.

All 3 plugs had the grey junk on them, but the fluid didn't seem too dirty. Who knows what was suspended in it though when it drained out.

**What is that terrible smell in the diff's? I must have gotten some on me I can still smell it.

I'd like to thank all the folks who put good info on this website. No way would I have felt comfortable doing this myself without the info I got on here!! This job was simple.

Purchased 03-29-08

Searched for a Truck for a year, almost bought several before....

Red Brawn 08.5 Nissan Titan

No Mod's yet

It's the best truck ever!!!!

Joe B.

I'll keep my guns; you keep the 'Change.'
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Gear oil smells... oh well nothing abnormal it's an aquired stench

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Wanna know something weird? I can use the same oil filter on the Titan and the Z.

Whoever at the factory put the refill plug in the new rearend I got back in 06 (upgraded at request, never a problem) really horsed it down. I had to get off the creeper and lay on the ground to get leverage to get it loose.

The factory gear oil in the rear diff looked like crap. The front diff oil which I changed 5-28-05, looked like new golden honey.

I will take the Titans 4 bolt skid plate over the Z's 16 bolt spalsh guard anyday when changing the motor oil. Oh ya, and no ramps needed. What a pain. Oh, well, at least it's done.

Last edited by FLfinfan; 04-09-2009 at 06:40 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLfinfan View Post
Got the front and rear diff. fluid cheaper at Wally World. It was the Wally World brand but meh. I was there to get motor oil for the two vehicles anyways. Trucks going in Fri. to have the power steering and brake fluid changed, I will get the Matic D transfer case fluid from them while I am there.
No need to pay the dealership for D-matic, it's just Dexron. I'd buy the pump for the transfer, it will make things much easier. I changed mine at 15K and then at 56K and it was dirty looking. The 2 1/8 quart of fluid does alot of work and overlooked the most.

2004 Titan LE CC 4X4 Offroad
PRG Performance Package Lift
PRG Rear Shackles- PRG Sway Bar End links
Bilstein Rears
Detroit Truetrac
315 BFG's All Terrain's
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM

I agree with Bama334, why use D-matic? I pumped mine full of Mobil-1, may as well install a low pour point synthetic fluid for the cold winter and a higher temperature tolerable fluid for the hot summer periods. Most likely cheaper too...
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 PM

I know my transfer case fluid was really bad looking at 30K. I highly recommend changing it regularly.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memsu View Post
I know my transfer case fluid was really bad looking at 30K. I highly recommend changing it regularly.
+1 Just changed mine and I was about 1/2 quart low, fluid was black and the drain plug had the typical thick layer of fine metal shavings. I just got my T back from the dealer because the front diff and one of the transfer case sensors was leaking.

Found the leak when I went to drain the Tcase, don't know if that would account for the low fluid level, but glad I checked. Mine is at 26K.

2005 LE CC, 4x4, OR, DVD, NAV, Side Air bags, Sunroof, BT, PRG 2" Leveling kit, BFG KO's, KC slimlites in the bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top