Rear axle shaft removal - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan General Discussion General Discussion about the Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear axle shaft removal

Hello all. New member here and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this site. Unfortunately my first post is a question.

I have a 2007 Titan tow package and am replacing the rear parking brake shoes. The reality is the parking brakes on this vehicle are poor and due to that and my stupidity have driven on a couple of occassions with them on. Not that big of a deal as I recently replaced my rotors and calipers anyhow but was in a ruch and am now replacing the parking shoes and other components.

When I removed the rotor, I damaged the backing plate where the shoe retaining pins are housed. I am now replacing the backing plate but need to remove the axle as the plate does not fit over the wheel stud hub.

Is there any issues I should be aware of when removing the axle? I am presuming that there is an E-clip or similar inside the diff housing that I remove then simply slide out the shaft. Any advice would be appreciated before I finish tearing it apart tonight. Also, what rear end juice is recomended for this vehicle. I tow to the max regularly.

Thanks in advance, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Re: Rear axle shaft removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backtothesea View Post
Hello all. New member here and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this site. Unfortunately my first post is a question.

I have a 2007 Titan tow package and am replacing the rear parking brake shoes. The reality is the parking brakes on this vehicle are poor and due to that and my stupidity have driven on a couple of occassions with them on. Not that big of a deal as I recently replaced my rotors and calipers anyhow but was in a ruch and am now replacing the parking shoes and other components.

When I removed the rotor, I damaged the backing plate where the shoe retaining pins are housed. I am now replacing the backing plate but need to remove the axle as the plate does not fit over the wheel stud hub.

Is there any issues I should be aware of when removing the axle? I am presuming that there is an E-clip or similar inside the diff housing that I remove then simply slide out the shaft. Any advice would be appreciated before I finish tearing it apart tonight. Also, what rear end juice is recomended for this vehicle. I tow to the max regularly.

Thanks in advance, Jim
I'm not too knowledgable in the brake department, but I can reccomend Amsoil Severe Gear Oil 75w/90 for your rear differential.
Hope I could help.

2007 Nissan Titan SE Crew Cab Galaxy Black
HP: 347.6 TQ: 407.2 on 87 octane

PERFORMANCE: Uprev l Stillen LT Headers l Berk B-Pipes l Custom True Dual Rear Exit Exhaust with Flowmaster Super 44's l Grounding Kit l Injen Intake w/ Hydro Shield l Airaid TBS
INTERIOR: Green LEDs l Legit Accessories Green LMU Kit l MTX Audio Thunderform Enclosure l Custom Seat Covers
SUSPENSION: Pro Comp Stage II Suspension with ProRunner Rears l PRG Extended Endlinks l PRG Drive Shaft Spacer l Stillen Front Sway Bar l Metalworx Offroad Trac Bars
BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES: Stillen BBK l 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers l 18x9 Mamba M5's with Bullet Valve Stems
EXTERIOR: Billet Grille l Spyder Black Dual Halo Headlights l Black Altezza Tail Lights l Nissan Skid Plate l Short Bullet Antenna l Hornblaster's Shocker 240 Train Horn Kit l Stillen Diff Cover l BT Mirrors

COMING SOON: Legit Accessories Products l GlowShift Gauges l Custom Hood l Green Halo Anzo Headlights
#3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,882 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

75/140 synthetic is the spec for the gear oil in the rear axle.

I don't think there are any clips. It just unbolts and pulls out. Be careful not to damage the axle seal. If the seal leaks, you have to destructively remove and replace the bearing to get to the seal.

#4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for the reply. this saves me from draining the fluid.

Jump to top