Nissan Titan Forum banner

Anyone Else Have the Overhead Storage Break?

13K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  dkmura 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Crew Cab with the overhead storage compartment for sunglasses and other stuff. Has the cabin lights and rear window switch integrated into it. A few days ago the plastic on both sides toward the back developed stress cracks and broke, then the front stressed and broke. I'm sure I'm probably not the only person this has happed to. Any problems getting a replacement? Anything to look out for? I have an extended warranty, hope its covered....

#2 ·
It's a common problem with the 08

swyped from my rooted gnex

#3 ·
Mine did. I noticed it on a Saturday in Washington DC just before I was leaving to come to Arkansas. Truck had just under 36k miles. I took pics of it and my mileage causer no dealers were open. Had about 38k when I got to my dealer. They told the rep what happened and how I had 2 titans and a Sentra and they didn't need toake me mad and got it replaced free

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
My rear overhead broke, so I ended up custom fabbing it and added a TV...the spring loaded sunglass holder at the front broke a tab, so I superglued it, it broke again, so I put a crap ton of super glue on it and don't use it anymore.

#6 ·
Had the same happen on my 09 and my 06. I JB welded my 09 sunglass holder (lost the spring). When I bought the 06, one of the rears was already broken off. I found one on ebay and swapped out the entire console on my 06. The I took the sunglass holder out of the broken console and replaced the one on my 09. Keeping the JB welded one just in case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone needing some of the grey console doors (unbroken ones) let me know and I'll post them up for sale! I can post the whole console minus the doors too if some one wants it.

#9 ·
Sorry reposted

#10 ·
The fix for this is installing large fender washers BEFORE it breaks and falls on you. I noticed small hairline cracks around my mounting holes so I removed the console from the roof and epoxied the cracks to strengthen the holes and then I installed large washers with longer bolts. Total cost was $5.

For those who still have a console that has not called down yet DO THIS MOD before its too late! The $5 and 30 minutes of your time will save you hundreds in the long run.

#15 ·
Using larger washers under the bolt helps, but it only moves the stress to the next section of plastic. After reinforcing this area a few years ago, the area around the tab eventually weakened and let go on my '08 KC LWB. These failures are likely related to the cyclic stress this part is exposed to, along with how it's supported from above.

Has anyone else come up with a method of making a bulletproof repair of the overhead console? Surprised there haven't been any aftermarket solutions to creating a foolproof solution.

#16 ·
Has anyone else come up with a method of making a bulletproof repair of the overhead console? Surprised there haven't been any aftermarket solutions to creating a foolproof solution.
It appears the answer to this question is NO. There are no good repair schemes or aftermarket alternatives. Guess we're stuck :eek_surprise:.

To make matters worse, I purchased part #96939-7s201 and found it was the wrong part for my Titan. So, if anybody wants a brand new rear overhead console with lights and radio controls (grey finish), let me know for a quick and easy sale.

#17 ·
We need to 3d print some bolsters/gussets and super glue them into the corners. One of the mods on this site has a 3d printer. Hmmmm.

#18 ·
After inspecting my broken overhead console and the brand new OEM one, the problem is a little bigger than that. Using wood blocks as reinforcements last time only helped with reinforcing the plastic tabs and gussets. It moved the stress areas down to the main structure, which is what broke.

The entire console itself is pretty heavy and the unfortunate part is adding additional bolsters/gussets and super gluing them into place will only add to the weight. Gravity and normal bouncing on the roadway does the rest. The console metal tabs that slide into the roof are pretty robust (ask me how I know!), but are too few (4) and too small to hold up to the repeated stress cycles. There are also two 10 mm nuts that I've also reinforced in the rear map tray to help spread the load, but they're also not enough.

It's a problem that begs for an aftermarket solution, but no company has stepped up, to my knowledge.

#19 ·
When in doubt, rip it out. Not easy when it's brand new, but once it gets up there in age I'll be like "f*ck it" and out it goes, put some headliner in its place, something

#20 ·
Problem will be what to do with the electronics that are integrated into the overhead console. The Bluetooth microphone and interior lights would become inoperable, and that's unacceptable to give up. But if you are willing to put up with a non-functional, crappy looking interior, than go for it.

#21 ·
Ah, yes...high-tech gadgets. I forgot about that. I hate all that tech stuff (bluetooth, gps navigation, pandora etc etc). I like the basics. I do like my power windows, but that's about all I needed when I bought this truck. The job wouldn't have to look "crappy" though, if done right. I'm an artist and love my trucks and hate half-assing anything, so if I were to rip out the overhead console, it would be handsome and functional when I was through. :)

#22 ·
The only high tech item in the Titan's overhead console is the Bluetooth microphone. And having interior lights is hardly high tech, but is very useful on those dark nights. Still, it's a challenge to put together an artistically done, lightweight and homebuilt overhead console, so I invite you to post some pics of yours!

#23 ·
Lol thanks. I was imagining digital compass, time and temp etc, that never occurred to me. I'm not ready to rip apart my Titan, but my 2004 Xterra is a work in progress. I have a 6ft/7ft headliner board in my bedroom waiting to be wirebrushed and customized...having trouble deciding what fabric to use. Too many options :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.