Nissan Titan Forum banner

DrtyAzn's Project Wide Body 4X4 Titan...

46K views 141 replies 32 participants last post by  DRTYAZN 
#1 ·
As some of you know, I pulled the trigger on the roadrunner fiberglass combo, offered through mextitan... I have since installed the front fenders, with some fun grinding and sanding to get them lined up to flow alomst OEM...
Here's what the front end of my T looks like as of earlier today...
Oh yeah, I cut down about 1/4" of the lower headlamp edge and placed a foam weather strip around the headlight to get a good edge and cushion the glass against the headlamps...
This weekend, with good weather forecasted, will be the bedside installation... then I will post pictures afterwards... stay tuned...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
...and some side angle shots... sorry for the sideways shot, apparently my I phone was sideways too... :rofl

Attachments

#3 ·
Nice work bro. Any pics showing the tires too? I wanna see what the glass looks like on a stock track width titan.

Edit: haha, beat me to it. looks good!

#5 ·
Looking good man them 35s look small now haha

Sent from my samsung fascinate using the auto guide app
Thanks fellas... Yah, my tires were originally 1" wider than my fender flares (2" wider than stock metal), but the front tires are now 1" inside the flares (3" additional bulge)...
... and Yup! Those beefy 35"s now look like stockers on a lifted T because of the 4" additional vertical clearance...
My plan is to get a set of 37" tires, most likely on 20", maybe 22", deep dish wheels for "City Purposes" and keep my 35"s strictly for off road use... I like Eddie's stance w/ his CF fenders and deep dish wheels... even contemplating getting a matching wheel (except in aluminum or chrome finish)... but that'll be after the custom paint job...

#7 ·
Looks sick! Any plans to make this into a MT/LT Titan?

#8 · (Edited)
I already went through the torture of possible MT / LT conversions... The 4x4 MT kit thru PRG is available but the $ vs more couple inches of additional travel, I can't bring myself to get it at this time (I already researched it)... And the only way to get LT is to lose my front drive... Until I (or someone else) can truly find a cost effective way to fabricate a front drive assembly to allow MT, I am stuck with the current 10" movement I have managed to get with what I have... Maybe 12" after I cut the inner fenders and coil bucket front lip to allow full upward and downward A arm movement... Oh yeah, tomoro morning is the BEDSIDE SWAP DAY!!!

#12 ·
lookin god drty!

Reactions: DRTYAZN
#13 ·
I love the flared look of these fenders, your truck will look sweet when done.

The fit would drive me crazy,one would think after all these years someone would learn how, or take time to make a FG fender that would fit and line up so one doesn't have to spend days/weeks grinding and glass work just to get a decent product.

#14 ·
Where's the bed pics, looking good man

#15 ·
They are on my I Phone... We (Mario and I) started this morning at 10, taped off cut lines then went to town... First, I decided to keep my OEM tail light insert and leave the inner wall alone, where tailgate is, so I started off by mocking up the bedsides, taping off the glass to cut and overlap the OEM tail light area... After I did this, I riveted the rear into the remaining metal underneath... Fit snug and I will be adding a little bit of bond to blend the fiberglass into the metal... I riveted the inner rails and the front bedside section to the OEM inner bedside support, fit perfectly... Only thing I had to do was cut away a little bit of the front lower curve to keep it from striking the cab... I cut out the glass fuel insert, and installed my OEM fuel door insert under the glass, little bit of epoxy and it was solidly mounted and fuel door blends perfectly too, with only about 2" of needed fuel filler tube extension (to be done). I am beat up, sore as all h3ll, and will get around to the pictures later or tomoro morning.... Stay Tuned...

#17 ·
x2^^^ how the he!! are you pulling 18" of travel on a 4x4 titan with just uppers and coilovers.

#18 ·
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ^^^ Whooooooaaaa!!! Almost had a reincarnation of M101 of the suspension world... TYPO peeps... I am max'ing out at 10, TEN, ONE-ZERO, inches of travel up front, due to 6" PC Spindle with coil bucket and inner fender restrictions... GOOD CATCH NICK, I didn't proofread my post, just re-read it now... Post Editted. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#19 ·
OK, Here are before, during, and after pics of the Bedside Swap... I still have to grind, add material, and blend in the taillight surrounding surface... Then to get my Hood ordered and installed... then prep the entire T for paint, and get'r done... that's the plan for the month of May anyways... until then, I'll probably just rattle can the fiberglass in primer gray and a coat of rattle can silver (aluminum)...

Attachments

#21 ·
Look's MEAN!!! I like it! :)

#22 ·
and after pulling it out of the bay, ready to drive home... until finding time to detail the edges and blend the taillight area...

Attachments

#24 ·
Definitely will do Bass, you'll the first person I'll PM if I decide to get rid of it... But as it stands, I'll prob keep it on until I figure out what direction I wanna go with the tailgate area, maybe tiregate... Heck, I might even just install a vertical spare mount through the tailgate (highly doubt it)...

#25 ·
Looks wayyyyyy better now that you have bedsides. I am surprised that i actually like it. :)

#26 ·
Looks sick!!!

#27 ·
I wonder how much it would cost for a shop to put these on... hmmmm

#28 ·
Well, first, they were definitely an 8 hour swap, with two of us... and I believe Nick also installed Izzyplaces around that time frame too... The problem with a "shop" other than someone (like Nick) who is passionate about the project will try and get the glass to fit without taking the proper time and details to grind, sand, and make adjustments to get a good fitment... and if they do, they will be charging you an extra arm and leg... so, in reality you will most likely be paying premium $'s for an auto body shop to properly install these... just taking a shot in the dark, prob 4-6 hrs for the front fenders and 8-10 hrs for the bedsides... If they run into bad fitment issues, requiring cutting and building new mount tabs or surfaces, add one day for that... All in all, if you (or friends) can do the work, do it yourself and take your time to do the customized trimming and fabricating...

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks... And don't let my taillight fabrication scare you from installing them... I just wanted to eliminate any potential taillight and tailgate fitment problems by doing the overlap... The bedsides both fit like a glove, very well made, and the glass is close to 1/4" thick, maybe thicker in some areas, so they are definite sturdy. I imagine if you drill out the rear spot welds and just remove the skin, the rear glass section will fit like a glove as well, but I personally chose to keep the metal, thaz all... without doing what I did, the whole swap would have probably been completed in 6-7 hrs, instead of 8... oh yeah, I also went to Harbor Freight and picked up two real respirator masks on sale for 5 bucks each... They came in very good use when grinding down the fiberglass, looked in the mirror afterwards and I looked like I aged 50 yrs with all the white powder in my hair, so a mask is a definite!

#33 ·
Heya DRTY I actually installed the bedsides myself nick just hooked up the supports I had never done them before but it turned out to be just that easy (as long as your careful with the cutting) and I agree 6 hours max if you had 2 guys working it that's all it took Nick and I to roll in and roll out of the shop seeing as I got there later then I had hoped

#34 ·
Cool deal, glad you took the opportunity to became one with your Titan as well... ;)
As for the bedside supports, instead of cutting off the front vertical bedside support, I actually used a chisel and cut out the spot welds between the outer skin and support panel, keeping the complete vertical panel still connected to the intact OEM support as well. The front bedside actually fit perfect against that vertical support panel, which was used to secure 3 vertical rivets, and one rivet underneath the curve. The rear lower bedside support was the only one I had to fabricate, and easily did it with some aluminum trim that was twisted and bent to desired length to keep the corner from flapping... I'll get some closeup pics later and post those areas...

#36 · (Edited)
Hell I might as well go to GIANT motorsports and get a pre-runner rear axle with tru trac and their GIANT L/T leaf spring kit... Why does California have all the bad @$$ shops!!! I'm guessing all the desert... I actually might be moving to Mesa, Arizona in a year which is about 6 hours outside of Cali... that would be an easy weekend trip for sure!!!

#40 ·
Cut out the interior fiberglass all together, used a grinder to grind down the interior glass surface to match the metal so it would sit flat all the way around, sanded both glass and metal with heavy grit paper then used some 2 part epoxy to affix the metal on the glass, afterwards used more epoxy to build around the metal edge and glass... It is solid, I tried to push the metal out and could see the entire bedside flex, so it's mounted solid... I'll try and get a photo from the backside for you...

#43 ·
I haven't gotten around to extending the filler but it looks like it might reach with the existing 2" section that is inside the OEM rubber hose, but if it won't reach, I'll probably just use a similar diameter pipe and an additional rubber hose to attach the filler to that section, and set it inside the OEM rubber hose going to the fuel tank... eventually I want to relocate the fuel tank into my bed as well... (that's later on down the line, prob next years' project)

I'll get some pix of the fuel filler extension when I do it as well, most likely tomoro or Saturday, with sanding and prepping for primer... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.