Nissan Titan Forum banner

Nissan Rogue key works on the Titan!

53K views 195 replies 68 participants last post by  Sketchyj89 
#1 · (Edited)
I wasn't a fan of the separated key and key fob combo that came factory on our trucks so I looked around for a better solution.

At first I ended up with one of the ebay flip keys, it worked alright just didn't feel very OEM. The actual key was loose and overall the quality felt cheap.

So I looked around for an OEM solution. Most of Nissans new models come with the Smart Key with push button start. Except for the Nissan Rogue. Bought it on eBay for $17 shipped (used to test). Just received it and it programmed flawlessly with the truck. 3 button key just like the original and all work as should.

And since I have Uprev I have NATs disabled (my truck does not require a chip to start anymore). Home Depot will cut the key for free since you brought it in. As far as trucks without NATs disabled I do not know if this will work and program with the chip requirement.

Size Comparison

Cut and unlocks and starts the truck perfectly

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats awesome. I hate having a huge the giant key ring as well.

#3 ·
Awesome. I read about others doing this and they taped their key under the dash so the truck thought the key was correct. Would that work?

#4 ·
Ya if I was to go that route, id buy a few these and have them cut and program them. Then I would take one of the OEM keys and chop off the key portion so just the transponder is left.

May end up doing that because when Uprev disabled NATs, the little red security light on the dash stays lit while driving and its annoying lol

#5 ·
All of the keys I found on ebay say they MUST be programmed by the dealer. Did you do it yourself?

#6 ·
They are referring to the chip.

There are three ways to get the chip programmed.
1. Disabled with uprev
2. Place a dummy key behind the ignition
3. Have the dealer program it

To program the lock/unlock/horn you can do that yourself.

I tried it, it works. First you need all of the transmitters ready because you have to clear the code and that will erase the existing codes programmed.
Enter car, close all doors. Insert and remove key from ignition 6 times within 10 seconds. The hazard lights will flash to confirm original code has been erased. Turn the ignition to the ACC position. Press any button on the first transmitter. Hazard lights will flash to confirm programming. To enter additional transmitters, unlock then lock the doors using the power lock switch on the drivers door. Press any key on the second transmitter, the hazard lights will flash to confirm programming. Repeat the unlock then lock step to program additional transmitters. When finished, open drivers door, then remove key. You can have a max. of 4 transmitters per car.
:)

#10 ·
google it - there is a procedure, if you have 2 original keys that start the truck, there is a procedure where YOU yourself can program a 3rd cut key buy putting in one at a time and starting the truck with each then starting the truck with the last key and the truck will recognize and program it...then you will have 3 programed keys...

i think my350z.com list it...

-J

#11 ·
Would you have to get these cut at a dealership?

#13 ·
does anyone know how much dealers charge to program the key?

#14 ·
google it - there is a procedure, if you have 2 original keys that start the truck, there is a procedure where YOU yourself can program a 3rd cut key buy putting in one at a time and starting the truck with each then starting the truck with the last key and the truck will recognize and program it...then you will have 3 programed keys...

i think my350z.com list it...
This doesn't work for the Titan. Wish it did though.

does anyone know how much dealers charge to program the key?
This depends on the dealer, mine was $40. I bought two blank chipped keys off ebay for about $10. You need all keys present to program.

#17 ·
I got mine for a ebay link called "yourkeylessremote". It was like 18.76 shipped and i got it in about 4 days. Havent programmed it uet but plan to in like an hour

#19 ·
Tag for more info.

#25 ·
I have and 11 T and I just ordered a Rogue key for it. When it comes in I'll reply to this thread and let you know if I can program it.

#28 ·
if anyone goes into the dealer and gets the chip programmed, can ya'll post costs? I've fixing to order one.

#29 ·
Got mine today, fob programmed in 10 sec. Lol. Will get it cut tonight or tomorrow. When I open the new fob, the chip just fell out so I'll transfer the chip from my flip key over and save this chip for when I can make it to the dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
I got the rogue keys off of eBay delivered today. Got them cut and programmed with no problem. The problem is that even with holding the oem chipped key near the ignition, the new keys will only start the truck one out of every 4 times or so. It's very inconsistent. Any idea why this is happening? I have the 2 new rogue keys and the old fobs all programmed to still work. Each one locks, unlocks and sets the panic alarm off. Even tried zip tying the chipped key on the ignition cylinder and using the new key to start it, but only cranks most of he time. What gives? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

#34 ·
Alright, heres the update. Spent this morning with two intact original keys from and the two rogue keys. I successfully removed the chip from the first original key and placed it into the rogue key. Broke the key where the ring goes through, pried the two pieces apart with a flat head and carefully peeled away the palstic. Worked like a charm. The second attempt didnt go as well and I ended up damaging the original chip when getting it out of the glued seating that it was in. There was a lot of glue in this one and seems that when removing the chip the glue clump didnt come away and pulled a piece of the chip casing off. So i have one Rogue key completely operational and one cut, but will not start due to the damaged chip.

Here is my question: the rogue key came with a chip in it. Can a locksmith program that chip to be compatible with the one that is already operational? Or are Rogue and Titan key chips completely incompatible? I don't like the idea of having only one key and am trying to save some money rather than go to the dealership.

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Shawn

#38 ·
Took chip out of flip key and put it in the Rouge key. The chip that came with the Rouge key is in the flip key but is unprogrammed.
I will eventually get to a dealer and have it program but it's not high on the priority list.:D

Project Rouge Key is in the book.:D Thanks Vilim

Just some info, the chip from the Rouge key had some writtings but there's nothing on the Titan's chip to compare to.
I'm pretty sure Nissan use the same chip in all their keys.

DXP
PCF7936AS
CAD710 53
Tn 12190

#44 ·
So do you guys think I should try to get the rogue chip programmed? I am wary of doing it since I only have one working key. If somehow it doesn't work I could be stuck with no functioning keys and having to pay a buttload to fix my mistake. Thought?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.