Nissan Titan Forum banner

OBA opinions

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  honda250xtitan 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking about installing an OBA (on board air) system under my bed. I took a look down there and I think I can cram a tank right next to the cross member just in front of the spare tire. I want this for airing up my tires, my air bags, and just to have OBA for camping and off-roading. I've never absolutely needed it before but there have been times when it would have been really nice to have. I was wondering what yall's opinions were on mounting and OBA in general. I'm looking to spend up to $350.

#2 ·
Quite interested in this myself.

I've been debating on installing one either in the bedside storage box, or possibly working up a bracket to mount it on utilitrack since I have a locking camper shell.

As far as OBA I think it's a great idea to have around. It certainly can't hurt, right? Along with airing tires, the main reason I personally want OBA is so that I can use air tools on the go. It would be great to just whip out an impact gun to pop my wheels off whenever I need to get under the truck and do some work.

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about OBA as far as specs and what to look for. I was looking at VIAIR, particularly the Ultra Duty, as well as the Smittybilt compressors. I like the VIAIR because it seems like it's more or less a whole package, and would have whatever connections I would need or want.

I'm curious to hear what other experience other people have with OBA though. I'm sure it'd help with the decision making process.

#3 ·
interested as well.

#4 ·
Ya it would be cool to run air tools as well, but I've read that the use is limited. But, there are some really nice battery powered tools out there nowadays. I love my Milwaukee fuel set, and I want to get the new 1/2" impact as well.

I was considering the constant duty viair since it's a little cheaper. I'm going to crawl under the bed and take some measurements to see what size tank I can fit. I want this to be out of sight and I don't want to lose my spare or storage box. I'm thinking I'll put the compressor under the bed and run a snorkel into the tail light just like the diff breather mod. I might have to do a little welding...

#5 ·
If you do do that, I'd definitely be interested to see the result! It just might inspire me. :big_grin:

#6 ·
I crawled under the bed and tried to fit a box about 6" x 6" x 24" in the space that I think I might be able to put the tank, but no bueno. I think if I put that big of a tank in there it would interfere with the rear axle. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a smaller box there and a few more spots. There's a cavity behind the passenger side rear tire that might work. Any suggestions?

#7 ·
I've been thinking/ planning the same idea. Unfortunately the vehicle mounted compressors I've come across are waaaay to expensive for the CFM needed to run an impact comfortably without at least an 8 gallon tank.

The solution I've been working on is one of the 5 gallon twin tank compact style jobsite compressors like this. http://canadiantire.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0589315_1?$sri-image$

I originally wanted the tanks under the truck as well, but after measuring and farting around. The only place I found to put the tanks would be one each in front of the rear wheels vertically against the inside of the bedside and outer body panel. This seems like a whole lot of work, and might just barely fit.

So I'm now thinking I may just separate the dual tanks and the compressor it self and mount each half of the assembly on either side in the bed, just in front of the wheel wells and run soft airlines to connect the separate parts.

I picked up the compressor on sale for 100 bucks and then I found a 3000w inverter for $150 on sale to run the damn thing. I'm just not in a hurry as I have a few other projects on the go right now. Also, my truck has a tonneau cover, to keep everything dry. So I guess it's just a matter of running power into the cab for the inverter then the balls to cut up the compressor to give it a go.
That will be my take on it. Please post back here how you decide to go. I can't wait to see how she turns out.

#8 ·
One thing to remember is that if you drive around with a tank full of compressed air, you may be in violation of laws regarding the transport of compressed gases in your state/municipality. A tank of compressed air can be pretty violent if it's ruptured, and I know when I was working in a position to transport 10gal compressed tanks, we had to have special permits to transport even just one tank.

Check it out before you spend the money to install one.

#9 ·
Every tractor trailer on the road is driving around with compressed air. I can't imagine it being legal for commercial vehicles, but not for private use. It wouldn't surprise me if there are rules about having a tank properly secured. It couldn't hurt to do a little research on the regulations just to be sure.

#10 ·
Worth looking into, but remember a commercial cylinder is usually filled with a potentially hazardous gas or supports fire, explosion ect. Also a full commercial cylinder will be between 2000-4000 psi. But even empty placards are required because of the potential hazard. Pretty sure less than 200psi of air wouldn't require permits ect. Come to think of it, I've never seen a scuba diver driving around with a hazard placard, hehe. And they're 2000psi as well. Plus vehicles with airbag suspension with compressor and tanks don't need anything.
I personally plan to keep my tanks empty unless I'm using um though

#11 ·
i'll probably end up using a compressor generator combo mounted in the bed. my truck is probably going to become the legit company work truck in the next year. part out....lol

#12 ·
Dibs on the Kings.

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#14 ·
Ya I'm not sure about the legal aspect, but I drive around with my camper propane tanks full with the fridge running every time I take it out. So I'm thinking a 1-3 gallon compressed air tank is probably fine. I bet the only people who get sighted for stuff like that blast their train horns in front of cops. I'm not really using it for that.

They are pricy for what you get. Some of the packages from viair look really nice so I'll probably go with one of those.

IDK about running an inverter though, it just seems inefficient and more parts to fail. I'm definitely going to go with a DC compressor system.

I'll keep you guys posted.

#16 ·
might wanna browse the Tundratalk forum...bunch of Overlanding guys on there that would know what works and doesn't work.

#15 ·
Yeah I don't think you have to worry about the legality. When I worked for coca-cola we drove with CO2 cylinders for delivery all the time. They can be super dangerous if they erupt. We watched videos of what they did to trucks when they cut loose. The damage they could do was devistating. We never had any special permits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.