Nissan Titan Forum banner

Convince me to keep my hard Tonneau Cover

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BWV 
#1 ·
SO...
I bought this 2012 SV with the appearance package... and it came with a color matched(galaxy black) Leer hard tonneau cover (looks like its a 550)... a really beautiful machine.

I thought right from the start, that the one piece hard cover might be useless and hinder the use of the cargo area...
When the salesman said..."well this cover alone is worth like 2 grand" I told him it was worthless to me, and I'd be happy if they took the 2 grand off and kept the cover.

But... it looks real nice, and I am sure it will be really nice when the snow flies here in upstate NY.

This weekend, I thought "Hey, I have a Pickup now!!" and off I went to collect my patio furniture in it (too lazy to carry it all, all the way around to the garage)... and realized that I could only fit a few pieces under this thing..seriously, a truck this big, and I cant fit more than 2 patio chairs(on the tailgate) and a love seat cause of this cover

I do have motorcycles(they don't see the back of a truck much... but if ever i needed to...), I go buy shrubs and typical homeowner stuff from the big box stores, I have had to bring LED TV's home(they need to be vertical...) etc...

The more i think about it.. the more I think about taking this thing off and finding a decent roll up, or tri-fold Tonneau.

I've toyed with taking two sets of bike lifts (the rope and pulley things you hang bikes from your garage ceiling with) and using them to help remove it, and store it near the garage ceiling when i need use of the bed...

Other than the fact that it looks really sweet..... Am i missing why I would want this one piece hard cover?

Convince me to keep it... or share your ideas for easier removal and storage when not needed.

See less See more
#2 ·
You're on the right track. Get some pulleys rated for the weight, and some lines rated for well above the weight (for you non-boaters, lines is the real name for ropes), and some eye bolts and such. Mount a set of pulleys, rigged to a single draw line point, and be sure to attach the hardware to the joists in your garage ceiling. You'll find it to be pretty easy the one weekend s month, or so, you need to pop the cap on that bed. The rest of the time, you'll love the sleek, secure, dry storage.

Or, alternately, you can deliver that cover to me and I'll pay you for it. But the salesman was pulling your leg. It's only worth about $100. I'll pay you an additional $100 for transporting it, since I'm super-nice.

#3 ·
Having both soft and hard covers myself, I can appreciate what your saying. If you need height clearance to the bed on a regular basis, it's time to dump the hard cover. A hoist system is indeed the way to go in your garage for storage if you keep it. I always thought of hard covers being on sport trucks, which never really carry anything in its bed other than a few amps/base tubes. Personally the aesthetics of the hard cover can't be beat, but for all around ease of function a soft cover is the way to go. I'm sure if you advertise to sell, someone here will buy it. Dubyam is already offering you a deal you can't refuse. lol.

#5 ·
Ditch the solid hard top cover and get a trifold. I've had both and the trifold is easier to use, more versatile, and easier to remove. When I installed my cover the first time I used some whiteout to make marks on my bedliner. When the top is properly installed it barely covers the marks and the top is aligned properly. It takes me less than 2 minutes to remove or install my trifold.

#7 ·
When I bought my used Titan, I loved the look of my A.R.E. tonneau cover
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

but like you, questioned the practicality. I don't haul stuff on a regular basis but when I need a truck, it sure it handy to have one. Also, I just took up drag racing on my motorcycle and it's a lot easier to haul it to the track rather than ride it.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Motor vehicle

So for the summer (which are very short here in South Dakota) at least, here's my solution.

Home Depot has this ceiling storage lift that either hand cranks or using a ½" drill to operate it. I use it to store the tonneau cover during the summer. I bought some tie down straps that have the flat wide hooks (like the truckers use) that have a plastic coating (to prevent scratching)
Auto part

and some pool noodles.

I used zip ties to secure the pool noodles to the underside of the lift so as to further protect the tonneau cover from scratches.
Ceiling Electrical wiring

I then used the tie down straps over the top of the lift, slide the flat hooks under the tonneau cover and carefully tightened the straps. Then I just cranked the lift up, raising it to be stored over the garage door (after removing the hardware that secure the tonneau cover to the bed, of course). Sorry, I neglected to take a picture with the tonneau cover actually under the lift.

Racing season is over :frown: so the cover is back on, but I suppose if anyone really wants to see the actual final result, I could remove my cover and take pictures. I've kind of been toying with the idea of making a YouTube video of it anyway, so this may encourage me to get it done.

#8 ·
Thanks Guys!

I was thinking of the rope lift/flat hook/soft bumper type system.
(heheheh...never thought pool noodle.. was thinking pipe insulation)

What I don't want to do is store something for years then put it back only when I trade the truck in or sell it in 20 years...

I am seriously considering a hard trifold top. I do like the idea of the inside of the box being clean and dry when I want...

I'd ask for some hard trifold recommendations, but I'm betting if i use the search function I'll find lots...

The funny thing is, I had a Sequoia... I used that as a truck more than a car with a huge trunk... I've hauled things with that many wouldn't believe...

Thanks guys!

#9 ·
dfhowes

Thank you!!!
I may go in this direction if I decided to keep this thing. Thats exactly the desired end result... Thank you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.