Mods to increase milage? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:57 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Mods to increase milage?

I love my Titan I traded up from my Quad Cab Dodge Hemi...

I want to do some mods but what I am primarly after is to increase the milage. Any real suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 07:43 PM

Nice to hear from you and welcome to the forum. So I hope you've been happy with your new Titan. Everyone here is a bona fide Titan devotee. Yup, we are all in love with our trucks. Do you have a 2wd or 4wd? Off road and or towing package?

What kind of mileage did you get with your hemi?

Finally, how do you compare the way the power comes on with the Titan compared with the Ram?

You'll have others that tell of the gains with intake and exhaust kits.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,882 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthdog
I love my Titan I traded up from my Quad Cab Dodge Hemi...

I want to do some mods but what I am primarly after is to increase the milage. Any real suggestions would be appreciated.
I was wondering if a lid or tonneau cover would make any difference. There is alot of interest in intake and exhaust mods here, just be careful you don't lose the low end.

#4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestatchess
I was wondering if a lid or tonneau cover would make any difference. There is alot of interest in intake and exhaust mods here, just be careful you don't lose the low end.
The heart and soul of the Titan.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:29 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TITAN21
nice! a hemi owner coverted to a TITAN owner, rejoice boys
#6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:27 PM

Turn down the RPMS-taller tires

I test drove drove a Hemi quad yesterday,and the Titan Today-I liked both of them.The Titan did feel quicker,but the Ram wasn't a slug either.The 20's on the HEMI made the ride a bit pogo like over small ,sharp bumps that a big side wall usually damps out.
What didn't you like about the Ram?I have to decide soon.Just sold my Tundra,so I am looking hard.(backseat too small,and I want something with a bit more zip).
On the mileage there really isn't much you can do
1)Keep tire pressure on the high side
2)The Bed cover won't help-one of the manu. tested them-,same story on taking the tailgate off(except for the weight loss it is pointless)
3)Intake and exhaust mods-no way will they increase mpg-,and no reason they would.
4)Make your rear end effectively taller by using a taller tire-lower RPMS,but you raise the truck a bit,and increase the total drag-increase spinning mass also.
5)Drive like an old man-no fun.
Well,just my thoughts on it.If you were really serious,you could drop the truck a couple of inches,put on smaller,lighter wheels(15") with a narrower,taller profile tire,and change your rear end about 20%.(say about 3:11.1 or so.The motor has the low end power to still pull with that tall gearing.
Let us know about the Hemi.Thanks,Charlie
#7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 05:50 PM

I installed the tornado in the intake. Doesnt seem to help much..
#8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 05:57 PM

Sorry Phoebisis, I have to disagree.. I believe a light soft tonneau cover will get rid of some of the wind resistance from the natural air flow over the cab and down into the bed that is normally blocked by the tailgate. Less resistance there. Quarter mile times were better with the tail gate DOWN rather than up, too.
I also get better milage with my CAI and Cat-back installed.
Any time you make an engine more efficient, you can expect to get a mixture of increased power output and decreased fuel consumption. That's pretty much the definition of efficiency on gasoline engines.

KC XE Smoke
#9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Titan4x4Aggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOEBISIS
2)The Bed cover won't help-one of the manu. tested them-,same story on taking the tailgate off(except for the weight loss it is pointless)

3)Intake and exhaust mods-no way will they increase mpg-,and no reason they would.
no offense, but you just lost all of your credibility.

in response to #2:

yes, putting a bed cover on or taking off a tailgate WILL increase gas mileage. with those mods, you will reduce the drag on the vehicle, making it more aerodynamic by reducing turbulance in the bed.

i wont help much at low speeds, but since drag is proportional to the square of velocity, it WILL help at higher (highway) speeds.

in response to #3:

intake and exhaust modifications allow your truck to breath and exhale easier. by having a free-er flowing intake and exhaust, your truck will effectively gain horsepower and be more efficient during combustion.

free flowing intake: during the intake stroke, the piston wont have to PULL as hard to pull the air into the cylinder, resulting in a more efficient intake stroke.

same for the free flowing exhaust: the piston will not have to PUSH as hard to get rid of the exhaust gas, resulting in a more efficient exhaust stroke.

with intake and exhaust mods, you will make two of four cycles of the otto cycle more efficient. you could also get better gas mileage by increasing the compression ratio and run higher octane gas. increase the ratio enough and you got a diesel engine.

INTAKE AND EXHAUST MODS WILL INCREASE GAS MILAGE. assuming a lead shoe doesn't come with those parts.

My new gas saver!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan4x4Aggie For This Useful Post:
hitandrun176 (03-05-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:47 PM

I have to agree with PC and Titan Augie, I've seen a good increase in mileage so far with my mods. The myth that MPG doesn't increase (or even goes down) with simple bolt-ons is due to the fact that most people will drive more aggresively with their new found power and sound. And yes, the tailgate method and tonneu cover will improve your highway mileage (and a little around town), this has been known for years.

The most important factor is driving style. It becomes more noticeable as the weight and power goes up. In a Honda Civic you can hardly see any difference in gas mileage according to how you drive it, start throwing around some weight and a healthy V8 and it becomes the primary contributing factor.

CC LE Smoke
JBA Cat Back Exhaust
K&N CAI
10" Fosgate He2
More to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Life whilsts itself while you are preparing to live"

-Emerson
#11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Titan4x4Aggie
Big P: how did you put in that 10" fostgate. i have a RF sub, amp and cap left over from my other car. i want to put that system in my truck, but i want to keep the stock head unit. possible?

i'll PM you also.

My new gas saver!!!!!!
#12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:35 PM

Check your PM and here's pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3054.JPG
Views:	1645
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	2325   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3051.JPG
Views:	1320
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	2326  

CC LE Smoke
JBA Cat Back Exhaust
K&N CAI
10" Fosgate He2

-Emerson
#13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:41 PM

Covers help out a pretty good amount. Removal of the tailgate can actually cause you to lose gas mileage not save it. http://www.truck-bed-covers.com/Tonn..._save_fuel.htm read the article its interesting.
#14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:06 PM

Hmm, I've heard about damaging the tailgate while down, but never it actually hurting mileage, I haven't done it on my Titan but have in the past and have gotten 1-2 more MPG on average with it down. Ah whatever, I'm not ever going to put it down on my Titan anyway, that solid chunk of steel is liable to break right off if I go over a speed bump or pull in a driveway!

CC LE Smoke
JBA Cat Back Exhaust
K&N CAI
10" Fosgate He2

-Emerson
#15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:36 PM

Tailgate down-off-take a look at sleight of hands article

Hey,did you guys take a look at the date I wrote that?April 15-and now I'm being beseiged!!
Well,according to the article sleightofhand posted the link to,I am wrong on the covers,but right on the tailgate.
Titan4X4aggie,I understand the" why" on decreased pumping losses for a lower restriction intake,but you only get a decrease in total intake resistance at WOT,at part throttle operation(where everyone-except NASCAR- measures mpg) the total intake resistance will be unchanged,so pumping losses will be unchanged.How can this be,if the filter is lower resistance?Simply,the throttle plate is the main source of resistance in the system at part throttle.You want less resistance to get the same amount of air in at a given load-just open the plate a bit more!!On a carb motor it is a little different, since fuel flow is dependent on airflow-drops in pressure etc.In short(ha,ha)a lower restriction air filter won't lower the intake pumping losses at anything but WOT with EFI.
Exhaust side,well, isn't so easy to defend my position,and once again at WOT you can get more hp,and probably more mpg.At part throttle,I just don't think so.Usually an exhaust system that gives more peak hp,will give up a bit of low end hp-torque.This usually means the filling at those RPMS- is a bit less-probably because of sound wave tuning..Bigger diameter-or shorter- tubes mean better high RPM power,but less low RPM power.The MCycle manu folks have developed devices to overcome this in their 4 strokes,but I don't think the cars use anything like that.I think you probably lose the gain you get from the decreased exhaust resistance,because of poorer "extraction tuning"

Well,who knows.On the covers,I might have to concede,but the tailgate stuff-no way(except for the weight in low speed stop and go).Thanks,Charlie

Last edited by PHOEBISIS; 07-06-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Jump to top