DVD on Front Navigation Display - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
DVD on Front Navigation Display

Without going into all the grueling details... I recently installed a NAV-TV (www.avelectronic.com) tuner and aftermarket DVD player in my King Cab LE with factory Navigation system. This is not a cheap mod ($750) for the light hearted, as you literally have to take apart the entire center portion of your dash to get behind the NAV Display unit. I recently downloaded the Service Manual ($20 version) and it was invaluable knowing where every screw or clip was located or how something was assembled.

I assumed that all the wire splicing was done at the NAV unit under the passenger seat. Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! The tuner wiring needs to be spliced in directly behind the NAV display, thereby allowing the input to go directly to the screen and bypassing the rest of the NAV system. That is what allows the NAV to function as normal, while playing a DVD or watching broadcast TV.

That being said, I decided to locate both the TUNER and vertical mounted DVD player inside my center console. Great concept, poor execution! Although it works fine, there are way too many pieces and parts to the center console to make it the PREFERRED location. It is nice that all the wiring runs under the console up to the dash, but there isn't much room to move, especially since the connection out of the TUNER is hard-wired. Once you connect the wires to the NAV Display, there is no going back to re-route a wire or change the location of anything else.

I also opted to install one of the two enclosed TV antennas under the lip of the back window. Temporarily ran the wires down behind the rear center seat and under the rear floor mats. Couldn't find an easy way to get them under the carpet without tearing out the entire back seat. Not great reception, but it does OK. Not really interested in broadcast TV, just wanted to see if it worked. Overall DVD picture quality is fine, and the sound is picked up using the enclosed antenna Y-cable to connect to the internal FM Modulator (88.5). I guess there is a MOD coming that allows you to connect to the factory audio system, but the sound quality was fine. Even sounded better than most of the FM stations in the area. Haven't noticed if it fades out yet... Still amazed that the video portion actually works.

I have attached a few pictures of the finished product. Didn't have the heart to take pics of my torn up dash and parts scattered all over the shop at 3am last night. But trust me, you will want to set aside a good 8 hours to do this right. Not something you can hurry or cut corners if you want it to come out right. There are 2 IR "eyes" that control the TUNER and the DVD player separately. I "stuck" them up by the switches for the heated seats. Again, location everything near the center console. Once the DVD disc (also plays MP3s) is actually inserted in the player, everything can be controlled by the two remotes (and the push-button NAV/DVD selector switch) from either front seat.

If anyone would lke more detailed info, please PM me, as it gets way too complicated for general posting. There are things I would do differently, but I think everything is OK for now... For what's it worth, I have also installed a Tekonsha Brake Control Unit and the factory XM radio receiver and mast antenna. I can only imagine the look on the Service Manager's face when they tear apart my dash to finally fix my fading FM radio... Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
DVD on Front Navigation Display-console.jpg   DVD on Front Navigation Display-remotes.jpg   DVD on Front Navigation Display-switch.jpg   DVD on Front Navigation Display-twister.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,884 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like alot of work. Do you know of any reasonably priced way to have a rear view camera display on the NAV display?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 07:59 AM

Nice. As far as the camera, seems like you could hook it up the same way, just run the camera to the rear and hook it up to a switch, or to the switch that activates the reverse lights.

2002 Maxima SE (6MT) - stock
1992 Sentra SE-R - JDM Engine, Intake, Filled Mounts
Need a new Nissan? In the Indy area?
Come see me at
Ask for Kyle!
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
Nice. As far as the camera, seems like you could hook it up the same way, just run the camera to the rear and hook it up to a switch, or to the switch that activates the reverse lights.
O.K., say you get the signal wire(s) that goes from the NAV DVD player under the passenger seat to the NAV display. Then you connect that to an A-B video switch and also connect the camera wire(s) to the switch. Is it that simple? Or do you really need to tear the dash apart?

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestatchess
O.K., say you get the signal wire(s) that goes from the NAV DVD player under the passenger seat to the NAV display. Then you connect that to an A-B video switch and also connect the camera wire(s) to the switch. Is it that simple? Or do you really need to tear the dash apart?

I'd let ChrisCakes answer that one since he seems to know what he's doing.

2002 Maxima SE (6MT) - stock
1992 Sentra SE-R - JDM Engine, Intake, Filled Mounts
Need a new Nissan? In the Indy area?
Come see me at
Ask for Kyle!
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Rear Camera Option

The only reason to tear apart the dash was to connect the NAV Tuner wiring as close to the NAV Display as possible. The video signals aren't designed to go through the factory NAV system. Splicing them in right behind the display seems to be the only place they will work.

There is an optional camera available from AVELECTRONICS. The NAV Tuner is actually capable of accepting 3 inputs + braodcast TV. I use Input 1 for my DVD player. Input 2 could be for an X-Box, Nintendo, Gamecube, VCR, etc. Input 3 is designed specifically for the rear camera. There is a separate wire that you connect to the backup switch or reverse light, that when activated will automatically switch your input to #3 so that you will see what's behind you the moment you put the vehicle in reverse.

Everything is plugged into the NAV tuner under the seat or in my case in the center console. Unless there is something wrong with the NAV Display, there shouldn't be a reason to tear apart the dash just to add an optional input.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCakes
The only reason to tear apart the dash was to connect the NAV Tuner wiring as close to the NAV Display as possible. The video signals aren't designed to go through the factory NAV system. Splicing them in right behind the display seems to be the only place they will work.

There is an optional camera available from AVELECTRONICS. The NAV Tuner is actually capable of accepting 3 inputs + braodcast TV. I use Input 1 for my DVD player. Input 2 could be for an X-Box, Nintendo, Gamecube, VCR, etc. Input 3 is designed specifically for the rear camera. There is a separate wire that you connect to the backup switch or reverse light, that when activated will automatically switch your input to #3 so that you will see what's behind you the moment you put the vehicle in reverse.

Everything is plugged into the NAV tuner under the seat or in my case in the center console. Unless there is something wrong with the NAV Display, there shouldn't be a reason to tear apart the dash just to add an optional input.
That would still be $$ for the tuner. I was wondering if there was any way some simple switch like:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2405&sku=41015
could be used.

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

I wish it was that easy (and cheap)...

The video signal from any source (DVD, camera, game, etc.) needs to be split into the 3 basic colors (RGB), synched back together and grounded correctly. There is no way to simply plug in any standard video source into the display. Unfortunately the NAV Display is not "cable ready", so you'd have to use something similar to the NAV Tuner. There might be something basic (only 1 video in/out, no TV tuner, no IR remote...) from someone else that would work.

Either way, you don't want to have non-NAVIGATION video signals going through the entire NAV wiring scheme. Unfortunately it wasn't as easy as wiring up the electric trailer brake or the XM receiver...
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 09:36 PM

Can someone post a link to where you download the service manual?
Thanks
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarkaZm
Can someone post a link to where you download the service manual?
Thanks
Here is a thread with the details:

http://www.titantalk.com/showthread....anual+download

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 11:58 PM

I know I am entering in on this thread a little late, but I am looking to do the same thing and have a couple of questions:

Will the system not function at all if the safety wire to the parking brake isn't hooked up?

If so, how would this work with a rear-view camera, where obviously the brake won't be set?

Thanks!

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

The SAFETY Wire needs to be connected in order for the system to function... Not sure about the rear-view camera option. My guess is that you have the parking brake set and take a "look" behind you to make sure the coast is clear. Then when you release the brake, the system quits working until you stop and set it again... Just a guess, as I opted not to install the reverse camera...

You can TEST the operation of the system by connecting the safety wire to any 12V NEGATIVE ground to make sure that everything is working correctly...

PM me if you have any other installation questions...
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:08 PM

I put in a dvd player+screen and the avelectronic swither for under $800. I didn't think it was that bad. It did take me a few hours but most of that time was spent tring to get the connection to the aux jack work. here are photo's of my install

http://www.titantalk.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=19
the full page http://www.titantalk.com/showthread....8&page=2&pp=15

Also here is a good link on all that goes into doing a tuner or switcher.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?
Cat=&Board=truck&Number=67723399&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

If anyone has questions or needs some help pm me and I'll try and help out. Again I'm a general do it yourselfer and it really wasn't that much of a pain (IMO). If you hook into the aux jack you need to get a line driver as the aux jack is weak. this is what I used to fix it.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=317

ps I just grounded the safty wire so my passenger can view video while we are moving
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCakes
You can TEST the operation of the system by connecting the safety wire to any 12V NEGATIVE ground to make sure that everything is working correctly...

I believe I am picking up what you are laying down here.

I have the factory DVD and am interested setting things up so that the DVD outputs to the front screen as well as the rear. Additionally I want to hook up that plate frame camera - I have a LOT of small kids in my neighborhood and ever since I got the Titan I've been paranoid about running one over when I back out of my driveway (I have the rear sonar, but don't have much faith in it). It'd also make it a snap to park.

On top of all this, I use my MP3 player via the line in jack, which I agree is totally weak. I've been looking for an elegant way to boost it by hooking something up behind the dash. It seems I've found the thread I was looking for

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 04:16 PM

Rear Camera

Did you guys take the 12volt signal from the backup lights and feed it to the coil of the relay for the camera. Where is everybody mounting the relay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top