Nissan Titan Forum banner

Bought a turbo ! Need help

5K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  1mntitan 
#1 ·
HEY GUYS I BOUGHT A GARRETT T04B90 T4 TURBO AND NOW NEED HELP TO SEE WHEN FULL BOOST (RPM) WILL KICK IN.THE SPECS ARE 3'' IN 3'' OUT
60 A/R COMPRESSOR SIDE (coldside) & 96 A/R HOUSING SIDE (hotside). I KNOW YOU TAKE THE ENGINE SIZE AND MULTIPLY WHATEVER WHATEVER TO SEE WHAT RPM YOUR TURBO WILL HAVE FULL BOOST.IM SUCH A NEWB, I GOOGLED TURBO CALCULATOR BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOIN AND THIS IS FOR THE TITAN 5.6 !!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME GUYS

#4 ·
But he wasn't thinking 4th dimensionally....

Reactions: Warp09
#9 ·
If you really want to got through with this than more power to you but I would start looking in to it more. Look a Toomnymods post about his turbo and talk to some of the guys on here that really know their stuff

#10 ·
The only difference from toomnymods turbo is his
Is ball bearing and big. I have the same hotside as him but
My cold side is low it's good for low and mid power and his is top end. I'm
Using some of the same parts like him but mine will be alot less after pricing
Some more parts and all it's bout 3grand my turbo is journal bearing it's old school tech

#14 ·
Dang you guys are really blasting on me but it's
Cool I really could careless what you'll think get on my level or keep up with
Your stock t's. I thought a forum is a place you go to get advice or help
Your fellow Titan brother out guess I'm wrong

#17 ·
He needs to talk to toomanymods and that one guy that sold his Supercharged T to the guy in Alaska. the supercharged T has over 30k in mods i think. Sturdiest T on the road though

#30 ·
I here people talking about my truck!!! lol Megatron has over $40K in mods. Neither I nor Galen[previous owner] have had any problems with the S/C. Right now it has over 85,xxxmiles on it and runs perfect like my old N/A 06 titan, well a bit stronger obviously. I dont see running into any problems as long as I keep doing proper maintenance on it. Weighing in at 6300lbs, it runs respectable times. I just wish I could run it once weighing what others weigh around here and see what it could do. Good luck with the turbo build.

#19 ·
Warp how did the t run with the stillen supercharger
And why you sellin it what went wrong? I would
Have love to get a s/c but don't know why I didn't buy that
Instead the turbo would have been a grand cheaper

#21 ·
Kewlkarim I got a hell of a deal
To good to pass on the turbo with out
Thinking I jumped on it I did do some research on the
Turbo specs I just wanted to see if anyone can figure out
When it will kick in

#22 ·
If I were you living in Texas. I would talk to the guys over at Uprev. You are probably going to need them anyway before you are done.

#23 ·
I don't care what anybody says they have done to their Titan. DON'T ADD BOOST.

Reactions: RobKar
#25 ·
What ever happened to Toomnymod's? Haven't heard anything in a while.

#26 ·
I'm boosting that's final tired of stupid silverados messing with me
I'm not afraid to blow my motor up I really don't care it's almost paid off and it's giving me hell I got another project in mind. What happen to mychael101 relentless toomnymods that's 3 turbo titans I'm wantin to be # 4

#27 ·
hey bro, more power to you.
go for it be #4 if you do get it to work right, i'll personaly will come out to the track to watch your truck run (about once)
i would like to see it.
all those guys you mentioned, have had problems with their turbo.
Mychael101 claims he built his own turbo, and wouldn't give out any info regarding his system out (what a friend huh?)
Relentless had their own shop, their own R&D department, they had a lot more resourcess than most people.
Toomanymods well he had too many mods. and he did a WHOLE lot of research.

#28 ·
A Garrett t04b can be a big or small turbo depending on which compressor or turbine wheel is inside. If I were you I would measure the compressor wheel inducer (smallest diameter). Just for an example a turbo dsm can spool a Garrett T4 50mm turbo 20psi by 4000 rpm from a 2.0l 4 banger (with the appropriate exhaust turbine wheel). If you had that turbo on a Titan it would spool maybe too fast for easy tuning.

When I had the itch to turbo my titan I had choosen to go with at least a 60mm turbo. If they use those on 450-500 whp street driven dsm's it must be good for a titan with almost triple the displacement. One important factor is the exhaust turbine wheel and housing size. That will determine if the turbo is going to be laggy and have insane top end or lightning fast spooling and non-existent top end.

I encourage you to go on with your project but I think the Titan just isn't the ideal platform for a turbo project for a beginner. Not because of the engine (I think it has great potential) but mainly because it doesn't have support in the tuning/modifying department. The ecu interacts too much with the engine and trans control and we have no way to modify those parameters ourselves. Also not many people here have the knowledge or will to modify those trucks for insane hp so no internet support (really important in my mind).

Go check e30tech.com and turbobrick.com. It's all about old BMW's and Volvo's. They have so much turbo information a newbie can turbocharge his/her own car! That is the power of an internet forum.

In my mind the Titan is a great pickup but in order for more people to mod and share their experience we need a stand alone ecu that we can tune ourselves for bigger fuel pump/injectors/maf and ignition timing and control that damn RE505A trans without going to a speed shop to do the tuning. I can do the stand alone engine side but I have no electronical knowledge to tackle the transmission side. Uprev is good but limited for the diy'er.

That's my opinion... you don't have to agree! In the meantime I will keep driving my "stock" Titan until I finish my payments and then I'll go get a 2007-2009 BMW 335i for my mod car.

#29 ·
Thanks had a ? If it's a 60 mm that means the a/r is .60 correct that's on coldside
And the .96 a/r is hotside so can you please tell me it will work or not

#34 ·
I would measure it but it hasn't came in yet
Its being shipped out tomorrow morning. I will measure
The inducer/exducer turbine wheels and housing when it comes
In thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.