Nissan Titan Forum banner

Reduce drone on Magnaflow 22"??

16K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  A.I.I.Raciing 
#1 · (Edited)
I just installed a custom dual Magnaflow system last week, and it sounds great at idle and most speeds. Here's the details: 2.25" pipes from stock cats back, Magnaflow #12568 muffler (dual 2.5" in/dual 2.5" out), 2.25" pipes to the rear side exit, and dual 3" polished tips. The problem is that I'm getting some serious drone at 1600-1900 RPMs under moderate load. I've searched the forums and it seems that some of the solutions for drone include cutting off 12" of the tailpipe, or just dumping it after the muffler. The reason I did this custom install is because I wanted the dual side exit like the Nismo exhaust, so I'm not willing to give that up. I have two questions for the exhaust pros:

1) Would adding a pair of resonators (or even two pairs) help reduce/eliminate the drone?
2) If I only did one pair of resonators, would before or after the muffler be better? (I was thinking after would be better, since people mentioned that cutting the tailpipe reduced their drone).

The resonators I'm looking at are the Jones AR3514B at Summit ---> Jones Exhaust AR3514B - Jones Exhaust AR Series Aluminized Welded Resonators - Overview - SummitRacing.com.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, he is.

This post has been deleted
#7 · (Edited)
I take it you didn't even read my first post. :ftard:

Yes, I was asking if a resonator would fix the drone. The problem with the Magnaflow resonator you posted is that it is 6" round. My dual 2.25" pipes in front of the muffler are about 3.5" apart. So to install resonators side by side, they would have to be ideally 3.5" round or less, which would reduce the gap to under 2".

I think I'm going to get the ones listed up top. They are 3.5" round and 14" length -- should fit okay on my Titan.

#8 ·
I would think adding reso's will only help imo. Just a reso tip on mine helped.

#9 ·
Alright, I was kinda in a hurry to get these ordered because I want to get it taken care by the end of the week. Ordered four of those Jones AR3514B resonators listed at top, total was $69 shipped, and should get them by Wednesday. I'll post here the results of adding resonators.

#10 · (Edited)
So I went in on Friday to have the resonators installed at my local exhaust shop. When I got there, I was curious to compare the Jones Racing resonators I bought on Summit (Jones Exhaust AR3514B - Jones Exhaust AR Series Aluminized Welded Resonators - Overview - SummitRacing.com) to the resonators they carried on hand (brand unknown). When you look inside of a resonator, there are raised metal "louvers" that slow down the airflow a little and have holes with fiberglass inside that absorb some of the sound. Well the Jones resonators had little bumps with holes about 1/8" diameter -- pretty much a straight through design with very little obstruction. But the resonators that my exhaust guy carried had larger, elongated louvers that looked like they might actually do something, plus these resonators were 18" long vs. the 14" length of the Jones. At $60 installed each, I decided to go with the other resonators (Summit Racing has a generous return policy that I will be taking advantage of).

The resonators installed are 18" long, 3.5" diameter, 2.25 in/out, and one on each midpipe just before the muffler. After driving around a bit with them, I have to say that they did quiet down both the volume of the exhaust and the level of drone a little bit. If the volume of the exhaust was 5/10 before, now its more like 4/10. And if the level of drone was 6/10 before, now its more like 3 to 4/10. One thing I noticed is that the range of drone changed and became narrower. Before it used to be pretty bad between 1600-1900 RPM, and now it seem like its only noticeable between 1550 and 1750 RPM. I definately think these resonators helped, and at this point I'm on the fence as to whether it is still problematic enough to add more resonators.

Reactions: TI'TNTUFF
#11 ·
I have the same issue, drone at 1700-1900 RPMs. I purchased the Single exit Cat Back system complete from Magnaflow. According to JDP Motorsports (Titan Talk Magnaflow man) adding a Magnaflow Resonator will remedy the problem or change 18" muffler to a 22". He's sendng me some options via email.

#12 ·
I have the 22" muffler, so the only option for me was adding resonators or going back to stock. After adding two resonators (I have a dual system), the drone is still there, although I think its gotten better over time with more miles on the system. I'm thinking about adding two more resonators after the muffler to see if that fixes the drone. If not, it will be back to stock for me.

#13 ·
The drone comes from the tailpipe section...in my experience (I use a 22" magnaflow as well). A resonator needs to be placed in the right spot to cancel the "resonation", and the tailpipe is that place.

If you cut the piping off right behind the muffler, and do a turn down...there will be no drone. It will be louder overall, but no drone. The only issue here, is the "card in spokes" sound will show up, if your truck makes that noise (some Titans don't).

I tried several different things...

--Shorter stock piping (after the muffler) = drone in the range you're talking about, and under light load. It was cut off right at the rearmost exhaust hanger.

--Turndown after the muffler (I used a 12" overall long piece of 3") = Barely any drone, but louder overall...some "card in spokes" sound.

--3" Resonator in the same (shortened) stock piping = no real change, a little less drone. Not much.

--Added a 15" long piece of straight 3" with a slash-cut to the stock tailipe (with the resonator)...very quiet, no drone.

I have a welder, so I just played with my Titan exhaust stuff in between other car projects.

- Brian

Reactions: TI'TNTUFF
#15 ·
--Added a 15" long piece of straight 3" with a slash-cut to the stock tailipe (with the resonator)...very quiet, no drone.
Brian, please explain this a little better for me -- after the muffler, how much pipe is there before the resonator? What size is the resonator (length, diameter)? How much pipe is after the resonator? And where does the exhaust pipe end (in relation to the last hangar)?

Cut the tailpipe off an inch or so after the last hanger, and that will reduce the drone by at least 50%.
I wish I could, but the main [self imposed] problem I have is that I have two new shiny exhaust tips with "Magnaflow" embossed in them, exiting out of the side a la Nismo style. I can't shorten the tailpipe with these exhaust tips placed where I want them. So that's why I was hoping to place resonators somewhere just before the exhaust tips, hopefully to cancel out the drone.

#14 ·
Cut the tailpipe off an inch or so after the last hanger, and that will reduce the drone by at least 50%.

#16 ·
Yes, it's a tough choice to to cut off a polished stainless tip (two tips in your case), but you can sell them to someone on the forum. My JBA tip is on a Titan somewhere in Texas.

Attachments

#18 ·
this is sort of cracking me up...the 22" magnaflow has BY FAR the least amount of drone of any of the exhaust combinations I've had, almost stock is what i would describe it as. Go out and get a 2 chamber flowmaster and have turndowns welded on just after the muffler....THAT, my friends is drone...LOL.

#19 ·
You can laugh if you'd like, but I've had Flowmasters on other vehicles before and certainly know what drone is. If I had a stock system on my T with just a single in/single out 22" magnaflow swap, then I'm sure the volume and drone would be less. In hindsight, perhaps that's what I should have done. But instead I have a complete dual system with a dual in/dual out magnaflow with the x-pipe built in. Certainly, you can understand that two pipes are going to be louder than one.

#20 ·
That's the same setup I had when I had the 22"...it was too quiet for me and I now have dual in/dual out 2 chamber flowmaster with duals out the back and 3.5"tips....to each his own.

Edit: I also have the rear cats removed...that may make a difference in the drone but not sure if it would make it better or worse...

#21 · (Edited)
I'm going to resurrect this thread. I just had a Magnaflow 22" installed on my 2012. I have the same loud booming sound between 1600-1800rpm. Today I cut off the exhaust just after the last hanger, and it made literally no difference at all.

So now I have three options:

1) Resonator, but this is not ideal because the exhaust is already so quiet, I like the volume it is at now.

2) Dump before the axle, will his help?

3) 1/4 Wave resonator tube

4) Maybe some sort of insulation material around the exhaust hangars? Idk.

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.