computer reset - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
computer reset

hey guys, i just installed my k &n intake and exhaust systems . can u guys tell me , how long do i have to keep my battery disconnected to reset the computer.also does it matter if i take off the postive or negative one.cuz i don't want to take the positve one off. cuz it has some kind of relay to it.all help will be appericated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 08:49 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
just remove the negative. I think 15 minutes is enough. juma

I yield to big plat's input. 15 minutes would do it on past cars but apparently the titan is different.

juma

Last edited by juma; 07-13-2004 at 05:38 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:34 PM

Actually, I don't think 15 minutes is enough. I had a check engine light come on after installing exhaust and just to check I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and the light didn't come off. I disconnected again, but after about 2 hours I had to drive somewhere and reconnected it and still didn't go off. I then disconnected overnight and the light came off.

CC LE Smoke
JBA Cat Back Exhaust
K&N CAI
10" Fosgate He2
More to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Life whilsts itself while you are preparing to live"

-Emerson
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:19 PM

I did mine over night just to make sure.
As long as you disconnect the battery and then after maybe 15-30 min, just crack a door to make sure the dome light sucks out any remaining juice... when the computer is not receiving power, it resets pretty quickly.

KC XE Smoke
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:52 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdiesel
cuz it has some kind of relay to it.all help will be appericated.

That box mounted to your battery is not a relay. It is your coil and distributor/rotor.

Bryan
In memory of Chris- CaliforniaTitan

2004 Nissan Titan SE Kingcab
280 rwhp/ 333 max torque

Born on 03/31/2004--Came Home on 04/15/2004
Red Brawn--Graphite/Titanium
Big Tow, Utili-Trac Package, Rockford Fosgate w/ Power Captains Chairs, Rockford Fosgate Punch P550.2 Amp, 2-Rockford Fosgate Punch P110S4 10" Subs,
Tech12Volt Enclosure, TechTubes Polished SS Step Rails, OEM Fog Lights, OEM Bug Deflector, ARE LSII Hard Tonneau Cover, Black Stubby Antenna, Volant CAI,
AutoExtreme Throttle Body Spacer, Flo-Pro Dual Exhaust, Polished Aluminum Billet Grille, ChromeTailgate Accent, 18"X8.5" MB Offroad Gunner 6's,
265/70/18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's, Garmin nuvi 255W GPS, PRG Mini-Lift W/ 2Ĺ" Front Lift/ 1Ĺ" Rear Blocks, Bilsteins Front & Rear,
LED's Front, Eagle Eyes LED Tails, JDM 6000K HID Lows & Fogs, SilverStar Halogen High-beams, LED Third Brake Light, Red Billet Aluminum Oil Cap,
Red Active Tuning Grounding Kit, Body Colored Front Spoiler, 2 Degree Timing Advance , Clifford Matrix 50.5X Security/ Remote Start
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks guy one more question whats the reason for having too reset the computer after the upgrade in the engine.i dont have any lights come on in my dashboard and no service engine light no nothing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:43 PM

supposedly it helps the computer adjust faster to any changes to the motor. if you don't disconnect it will still learn, it will just take a little longer (about 200 mles).

CC LE Smoke
JBA Cat Back Exhaust
K&N CAI
10" Fosgate He2

-Emerson
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Platinum
supposedly it helps the computer adjust faster to any changes to the motor. if you don't disconnect it will still learn, it will just take a little longer (about 200 mles).
Big Platinum, I am not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to interpret the two different opinions that I received. I was told by an authorized Nissan service tech that there is no need to disconnect the battery and that the computer learns instantly to any changes that are made. The idea of resetting and optimization was for the computers that were used in the 80ís. Now I donít know his qualifications other then the fact that he works for a Nissan dealerís service department. On the other hand, maybe you have factual information for the reasons for resetting the ECU.

King Cab LE 4x4
Overhead Rack
K&N Air Charger

Banks Exhaust
Lund Bug Sheild
Eclipse AVN2454
Rockford Fosgate Punch series 301
Rockford Fosgate Punch series 401
Infinity Kaapa series 50.5
Infinity Kaapa series 63.5
Rockford Fosgate dual voice coil 8" sub
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Platinum
Actually, I don't think 15 minutes is enough. I had a check engine light come on after installing exhaust and just to check I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and the light didn't come off. I disconnected again, but after about 2 hours I had to drive somewhere and reconnected it and still didn't go off. I then disconnected overnight and the light came off.
Hey bp it would be really useful to all of us "experts" If you might be able to get a code from the ecu when the check engine light is on. I find it hard to believe that 15 minutes wouldn't do it. In the good ol days we use to disconnect both battery leads then short them to unload any capacitors/stored voltage. I'm not bustin balls just seeking information.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
that mechanic is so wrong, he is out of touch. those factory parameters are set from the factory, once you make a change to that, the ecu takes notice, and begins to adjust to more air available to it, it also has to adjust to a more efficient exhaust system(less backpressure). everytime i've made a change that affects the ecu, it's taking 300-500 miles to redue its parameters. nobody knows your truck better than you. driving it everyday, let's know if all the elevators are working efficiently.

06 titan 4x2. LE. Granite.
zoomers exhaust tip.
factory chrome wheels.
hellwig swaybar.
carriage works grill.
armada spoiler.
trueflow intake
Goodyear eagle GTll
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Big Pete, on Nissanhelp.com, i read about the 200 mile thing. Many others here have said the same thing.

Dandy, just letting you guys know what happened, you can speculate all you want but I'm telling what really happened. After 30 minutes of my battery cable being disconnected the ECU didn't reset the trouble code. Only after all night was it cleared.

CC LE Smoke
JBA Cat Back Exhaust
K&N CAI
10" Fosgate He2

-Emerson
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 02:11 PM

Hey bp thats weird. But its new to me so I'm learning. I can't see how it stores codes overnight maybe the cts or ats had to cool off. (insert x-file music here)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top