Introduction/ VK56 240SX Build - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Introduction/ VK56 240SX Build

Hello everyone,

I'm Yoshi and am in the process of putting a VK56 into my 1991 Nissan 240SX. I figured I would join up here and get some input from people who know these motors.

Here is what I have done so far:

Here is the car:

And now for a change of pace:

The Motor:

Beginning of the test fit process to see what will hit.

Engine on Stand

My little valve man protecting my car from big scary motor.

Here is the 370Z Trans and adapter plate bolted the the motor courtesy of Neo's Garage:

And here is a picture with the ITB's I'll be using.

I'm waiting for a couple of paychecks to come through and I'll be getting a TIG welder and a Plasma Cutter and I'm gonna get to work fabricating an oil pan as well as modifying my trans tunnel.

Lots of stuff to do and not a lot of time to do it. But be patient and I'll try to update as I go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the clutch and flywheel

Need to put the ring gear from my flex plate on.

So I did some test fitting with the new transmission..

This is how as far as it would go.

And this is the reason why:

Thus the need to make a new oil pan. I honestly thing that if I had the pan I would be able to slide it in place.

Here is the trans location . I don't think I'm going to need to modify the fire wall nearly as much as I had thought

And as you can see here the stock shifter on the trans will need to be shortened and will probably need to relocate the shifter hole.

Yoshi head courtesy of Turner:

And finally the engine and trans apart and the engine back on the stand.

I got a lot to think about. I cut down the intake to get the runners by themselves and with the ITBs on there it's just as tall, if not taller than the stock plenum. I expected that but it's gonna be tricky to make it work. I'm gonna try to figure something out though.

I am going to tackle the oil pan next. Once I'm back in January I'll be able to tear into it and get something figured out.

The welder and plasma cutter should be here next week, pretty excited.

Our shop has a couple of new additions,

Sorry for the ****ty camera phone pictures, I meant to bring my real camera but forgot :/

Well my welder and plasma cutter came in! One of the major selling points was that it came it a 110 adapter. When I took them over to the shop my buddy said lets just put in a 220 outlet. So we did. Then we made a giant 220 extension chord.

Sadly we couldn't get gas because the welding place in town is closed on weekends and I'm only here on weekends. So it will be about a week or so before I can get some gas and start messing with the TIG. The plasma cutter is set up ready to go though.

I took the thumb switch of the TIG torch because I don't like them. I prefer the control of the pedal more.

My "Electrician" works for beer

------------------------------------------------------------------

Got my welding cart in and set up:

Later tonight I'm going to pull the oil pan off and start test fitting the motor to get ready for the mounts. Since I am going to be building a new pan from scratch I won't be limited by the stock pan and be able to set the motor pretty low.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I did some work today. I had test fit the motor and found that the adapter plate hung too low and hit on my steering rack thus keeping me from lowering the motor and trans in as one unit. This would be a huge PITA. So I had to cut my adapter plate in order to clear the rack. This gave my little plasma cutter a work out but it worked like a charm. Once I got the plate cut, I painted it and put the trans back on the motor and was able to set the motor down in the bay, just about where I need it. Anyhow, here are some pictures:

The adapter plate cut, no worries I wasn't going to use those two holes any how.

The fit:

Almost flush with the trans

In the bay!

Trans tunnel clearance:

Trans

Shifter location, I need to cut that u joint off and 180 it:

Side view, can't even see the motor:

I'm going to try to pick up some material to do the mounts with tomorrow and see where I get.

I am also going to draw up the flange for the oil pan in auto cad and give it to a buddy of mine who says he can get me one cut... would be very convenient!

Getting there... slowly but surely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

$795 VK56 to 370z adapter plate
$595 Flywheel

The adapter plate could have been made cheaper but I went for convenience and it was costly, but at the time I was on my internship and didn't have time to draw one up and get it machined. The flywheel is a pretty neat custom deal they do and is pretty clever.

Things that could be done differently is have the adapter plate made, machine down the bell housing the thickness of the adapter and use a 370z fw clutch and starter. Not 100% on the starter deal though.

On a side note.
I am currently waiting for this to heal so I can effectively use my left hand again...

Until that happens, I am painstakingly trying to locate the bolt holes of the vk oil pan so I can get a flange cut but it's proving to be a pain in the ***. Getting proper measurements off the pan is a pain. I'm going to work on a solution tomorrow though. We will see how it goes.

Drawing is only for the holes, the lines are there to get the x/y coordinates. They will be deleted once I have the holes in the right spot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Well... here is a small update...

I got the power steering pump and alternator put on the block and test fit it. Turns out the stock location for the power steering pump is NOT gonna work out. It hits the frame. I'm going to try to relocate it to the driver side but I am worried about the amount of belt contact I will have if doing that. I have some brain storming to do.... on to pictures:

Poorly put together panoramic of the shop..

So far a S13 Coupe, 280Z, Talon TSI, Grand National, Z31, S13 Hatch.

The other day I helped my roommate put a Stillen intake and Cat Back on his G37.

That's all for now. Will update when I figure out what to do with the PS pump.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently I am on the hunt for an MR2 Electric PS pump and a set of stock titan headers. If anyone has them I would love to relieve you of them haha. You can even keep the cats!

I'll keep this one updated as well.

Take it easy!

-bump steer makes driving more exciting- (>_<)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Yoshi For This Useful Post:
BBtruck (01-25-2012), gweasel77 (01-25-2012), kha_4554 (02-16-2012), Nick741 (02-07-2012), nightowl (05-29-2012), ostaF (01-24-2012), pcg_k25 (01-30-2012), redneckpapa1996 (01-24-2012), VinylImagez (01-24-2012), WIKEDVK (01-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 AM

Re: Introduction/ VK56 240SX Build

Welcome, Zivilian (I'm S130 over there). You should find some good parts here. Check Jareds thread, he's doing the same swap in an S130.

2007 Titan XE: Sold, still feel the regret of selling.
2006 STI: The daily, replaced the Titan.
1979 280ZX: Getting a Titan heart transplant at one point.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 AM

Thanked 3,764 Times in 2,339 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Really cool project!!! There are a couple other members currently doing VK56 swaps too!

I've got a question for you.

Where did you get the ITB's???

Quote:
Welcome, Zivilian (I'm S130 over there). You should find some good parts here. Check Jareds thread, he's doing the same swap in an S130.
Definitely check out Jared's thread! He's got a fab guy that makes custom headers!

2005 NISSAN TITAN SE KC
IRC VK56 TEAM MEMBER
performance:
UP/REV RB's/DS TUNED!!!
4" Airaid MXP CAI w/ GW77 4" Ram-Air Mod / TB Bypass Mod / FT90 Kit / LS7 TB / '08 IM / CSF 2 Row Race Rad. w/ Fumoto QuikValve / Modded Nismo 170*F T-Stat / TruCool SR4588 / Nismo LT Header's / BerkTech 2.25' SS B-Pipes w/ Magnaflow Hi-Flows / 2.25"-3" Crapmaster Y-Pipe / BORLA XR-1 Muffler / Relentless RPM Gen2 Catch Can / Detriot TruTrac LSD / Grounding Kit / Burnout Mod / IAT "Reaper Mod" / LP Mod / MT ET Street P295/45R/17 DR's / Mobil1 EP 5W30 / 75W140
exterior/suspension:
LSAL Ignite 8K HID's / Ruff Racing R286 22"x9.5" Chromes w/ 305/45/22 Toyo Proxes ST2's / Slotted "Cryo" Frozen Rotors / Hawk LTS Brake Pads / Gatorback Poly-V Serp Belt / Stillen Diff. Cover / PRG Traction Bars & TX Frame Mounts / Helwig RSB / Bilstein HD's / SpringTech 2" Drop Shackles / PRG camber bolts / SolarGard Tint
NEW PB 2014: 1/4- 13.55 @ 98.5MPH
Next Mods: CAJUN 2.5" B-Pipes & VIBRANT 2.5"-3" Y-Pipe / MGT IM / JWT S7/S2 CAMS & Level10 Trans!!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Subscribed... gotta see how this turns out...

2011 Pro 4X
Ebay special CAI (definite powa increase, and 2mpg better)
Grill Mod
Magnaflow muffler
Bully Dog Triple Dog GT

#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Yeah I saw the Z with the VK and got pretty excited not gonna lie.

I got the ITBs from 1300 CC Hayabusa.

I'll try to keep you guys updated!

The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshi For This Useful Post:
gweasel77 (01-25-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Nice. I love these setups.

We have the lowest prices on Titan performance & accessories.

Bilstein HD & 5100 Shock Price CANNOT be beat.

We are here for you! Contact us today with price matches, product inquires, and general information!

M-F 8AM-5PM PST
Sat 9-1PM PST
The Following User Says Thank You to AJUSA.com For This Useful Post:
gweasel77 (01-30-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Garage

Quote:
I got the power steering pump and alternator put on the block and test fit it. Turns out the stock location for the power steering pump is NOT gonna work out. It hits the frame. I'm going to try to relocate it to the driver side but I am worried about the amount of belt contact I will have if doing that. I have some brain storming to do.... on to pictures:
Is there anyway to notch the frame right there where the PS pulley hits?

2005 NISSAN TITAN SE KC
IRC VK56 TEAM MEMBER
performance:
UP/REV RB's/DS TUNED!!!
4" Airaid MXP CAI w/ GW77 4" Ram-Air Mod / TB Bypass Mod / FT90 Kit / LS7 TB / '08 IM / CSF 2 Row Race Rad. w/ Fumoto QuikValve / Modded Nismo 170*F T-Stat / TruCool SR4588 / Nismo LT Header's / BerkTech 2.25' SS B-Pipes w/ Magnaflow Hi-Flows / 2.25"-3" Crapmaster Y-Pipe / BORLA XR-1 Muffler / Relentless RPM Gen2 Catch Can / Detriot TruTrac LSD / Grounding Kit / Burnout Mod / IAT "Reaper Mod" / LP Mod / MT ET Street P295/45R/17 DR's / Mobil1 EP 5W30 / 75W140
exterior/suspension:
LSAL Ignite 8K HID's / Ruff Racing R286 22"x9.5" Chromes w/ 305/45/22 Toyo Proxes ST2's / Slotted "Cryo" Frozen Rotors / Hawk LTS Brake Pads / Gatorback Poly-V Serp Belt / Stillen Diff. Cover / PRG Traction Bars & TX Frame Mounts / Helwig RSB / Bilstein HD's / SpringTech 2" Drop Shackles / PRG camber bolts / SolarGard Tint
Next Mods: CAJUN 2.5" B-Pipes & VIBRANT 2.5"-3" Y-Pipe / MGT IM / JWT S7/S2 CAMS & Level10 Trans!!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM

I could and that was what I was thinking but trying to avoid that because one of the reason people don't do this swap is because they don't want to have to do any frame/firewall modification and I want to show that there are ways around that.

gweasel77 (01-30-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Garage

Good info! I thought it might be easier than relocating the PS pump to another location, then trying to find a belt that fits it in its new location? I see what your saying though! I'm sure you will find a way!

2005 NISSAN TITAN SE KC
IRC VK56 TEAM MEMBER
performance:
UP/REV RB's/DS TUNED!!!
exterior/suspension:
#10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 1,027 Times in 542 Posts
Send a message via MSN to VinylImagez Send a message via Yahoo to VinylImagez
Subscribing, this is gonna be cool !

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

"LA CALDERA"

Titan LE 06'
Performance Mods
Nismo Headers
Airaid MXP CAI
Uprev-Custom Tune By DanBlp
Jim Wolf S7/S2 Cams
True Dual Exhaust with Bullets
Stillen B pipes (there off my truck, I got the CAJUN'S on Now)
CSF Racing Radiator
perma-cool e-fans
FT90mm (ex-relentless rpm 90mm user)
Level Ten Tranny
Heavily Modified 08' Intake manifold, with a 90MM neck to accept 90mm LS7 DBW TB, internal runners were shorten, ported and polished,Home Made Mod aka PBMIM (uninstalled)
Truetrac/stock gears
Stillen Supercharger/uprev tuned, 725cc Injector Dynamics, 255 Walbro Fuel Pump, 27"x7'x3.5' Heat Exchanger, Jabsco Pump, 5.6 Gallon Icebox (still working the bugs out)
RC Traction Bars
Laser Interceptor Dual Front Sensors

Interior
Q-56 Cluster, Autometer Boost Guage

Exterior
Stock Wheels/285/60/18 Primewell PZ900
Hoosier Drag Slicks For The Track

Austin UpRev Dyno #'s 415rwhp 427tq
The Following User Says Thank You to VinylImagez For This Useful Post:
gweasel77 (01-30-2012)
#11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Anyone by chance have a stock set of headers? haha

Schools been hectic this week so no updates really. I have a shift linkage I need to get on the trans. Also looking into an oil pan solution... will find out soon if it will work.

gweasel77 (02-01-2012)
#12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Anyone by chance have a stock set of headers? haha

Schools been hectic this week so no updates really. I have a shift linkage I need to get on the trans. Also looking into an oil pan solution... will find out soon if it will work.
1. Subscribed
2. Welcome Yoshi & best of luck! I love how far the VK has been going these past few years
3. Do you seriously want stock headers? I guess they're good for dimensions but the cat is built in from factory,, like Gweasel said Jared has a headers guy who would probably share dimensions at the least,,, but I have a set of stock 2005 QX56 headers sitting in my garage if your need em.

2005 Infiniti QX56 -- Project Moonlight
Car Domain Youtube Vimeo

Audio: Subs: 2 JL 13W7 Mids: 2 JL C5 speakers Amps: 2 JL 1000/1, 1 JL 300/2, 1 JL 400/4 Deck: Pioneer AVIC Z110BT Aux: PS3, MacMini, Ipod Screens: re-mount OEM display to roof, touch-screen Mac display, Pioneer Deck custom mount, two 8-inch swivel-mount flip-down screens in second row (headrests to follow )
Interior: Custom upholstery, headliner, speaker mounts, speaker cover, sub box & amp rack, Champagne bottle & hidden mousepad... i think thats all
Muscle: AEM Brute Force CAI, Stillen SC, Stillen Ceramic headers & b-pipe, full custom true-dual exhaust, B&M Tranny & Oil cooler kit, Stillen Big Break Kit (front) & 3 Kinetik Batteries (2000W+ 2*1200W), *2 Magnaflow dual 3" tips

give me a VK56, or some Rossi's, either way i wanna go fast till I hit terminal velocity, ride hard till it burns, and carve till the rest are all behind me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moonlight For This Useful Post:
AJUSA.com (02-08-2012), gweasel77 (02-07-2012)
#13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM

Well I'm not going to use the cats and they will be cut off. I am just testing to see if they fit. If not I can cut off the tubes and use the stock flange to make my own. I appreciate your offer but about 2 days before you posted I had found a set on here.

Okay so I'm looking into standalone options. I have been looking into the Vi-Pec as well as an AEM universal.

I'm also looking into the Performance Electronics PE3.

PE3 Series ECU, full build

Any other suggestions? Not gonna lie I don't know much about the topic but I'm researching.

Last edited by Yoshi; 02-15-2012 at 09:53 PM.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanked 3,329 Times in 2,458 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Dude! this is sick!

2011 White CC pro4x
Flowmaster Y
Banks Muffler/ 3" tail pipe/ 5" black tip
Airaid MXP 4" Intake
PRG UCA's
Bilstein 5100's Middle Perch/2" spacer
PRG Camber Bolts
Homemade Traction Bars/ 1" rear lift blocks
Fuel Boost 18x9
Toyo Open Country ATII 325-60-18
BORA 1.25 Wheel Adapters/ Pinch Weld Mod
6K HID's
10" Sub/Kenwood Amp
Weathertech Floor Mats

Traded In: 06 KingCab 4x4
6" ProComp, Bilsteins 5100's, 08 4x4 coils, PRG UCA's, Banks CatBack, Nismo Cai, Superchips Cortex, Custom Bumper, 35's on 18's
#15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Garage

Quote:
Okay so I'm looking into standalone options. I have been looking into the Vi-Pec as well as an AEM universal.

I'm also looking into the Performance Electronics PE3.

PE3 Series ECU, full build

Any other suggestions? Not gonna lie I don't know much about the topic but I'm researching.
I know RIPZ Racing uses the Vi-Pec standalones in all the turbo RB30 dragsters & project vehicles. Haltech is another that i've heard of & also MSD.

2005 NISSAN TITAN SE KC
IRC VK56 TEAM MEMBER
performance:
UP/REV RB's/DS TUNED!!!
exterior/suspension:

Jump to top