airaid mxp filter - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:22 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
airaid mxp filter

I just installed an airaid mxp cai. The filter seems like it could be made differently for better flow. It is very large but the big black oval piece at the inlet end blocks the incoming air from the fender. Do they make another filter that is open at the end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:24 PM

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
I just confused myself. :what:

14.041 @ 96.4 in 1700 DA

Last edited by tsunamilogan05; 12-21-2012 at 06:27 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM

Thanked 1,362 Times in 844 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Re: airaid mxp filter

If the filter was open on the end, all the air would go through there, and not be filtered. Dirt and debris in the intake manifold isn't a good thing. The MXP already flows more air than the Titan could need anyways, even when supercharged.

07 1wd Titan SE KC BT Majestic Blue
Performance: JBA Ceramic LT's/2.5" SS Catless Cajun B-Pipes/2.5-3" Y-Pipe/Borla XR-1/UpRev Tuned/Airaid MXP/IAT Mod/TB Bypass Mod/Drilled&Slotted Rotors
Exterior/Misc:'09 OEM 20's/Bilstein 5100/5%Tint/LSAL 6000K HID
Audio: JL 12W7 Subwoofer, CDT HD Components, JL 1000/1v1 and 300/4v1 Amps, Pioneer AVH-x4500BT
TEAM VK56
13.877@ 98.44/8.883@ 78.17 in FST
#4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Volant and RBP CAI use the Donaldson's PowerCore filter.... best filter on the market, and feed the air like that so there is a more direct flow and less restriction. Not made for Airaid though....

Last edited by JoeTitan04; 12-21-2012 at 06:30 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
A filter designed like you are talking about has a flaw. If the end is made completely out of filter media you won't get use out of most of the rest of the media. Air acts like water and follows the path of least resistance. All of the air would be trying to enter through the end and through the entire filter area. That's my opinion anyway. These filters are huge. If you took one apart and spread out all of the pleats you would be amazed at how big they really are. I will see if I can find some specs on how many square inches of material is in one filter for ya just for reference.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Thanks cayers 1122. I see what you mean now.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude6968 View Post
I just installed an airaid mxp cai. The filter seems like it could be made differently for better flow. It is very large but the big black oval piece at the inlet end blocks the incoming air from the fender. Do they make another filter that is open at the end?

The AirAid MXP CAI will flow more air in CFM than what the motor will/can pull in. This system is even better with a supercharger. When you are moving the air is constantly rushing into the front of vehicle (i.e. headlight area) where the filter is mounted. With all the air rushing in front of the vehicle there is no need for additional ram air sources. The design of this MXP is the best on the market. The BIG filter has enough flow even for a supercharger, The bigger intake piping aids into less noise turbulence compared to a small intake pipe, not to mention the built in velocity stack for the best flow. The Mass Air Flow sensor is in the BEST or sweet spot for optimal A/F reading. There is no need for an enclosed box as you will starve the motor for air. Just think... You shorten the length of piping to the motor, the less time you'll have for throttle response.

Although, there are a couple of people on here who put additional custom ram air mounts and i think it's really COOL ~literally!! If you can drop the intake temperature down (compared to the hot engine air temp) you'll make more power. But once you're rolling the hot air is expelled out and of the engine bay. PROS/CONS here...

PROS: What these guys are doing helps out for the drag strip. Lowering the intake air temp and forcing the air into the motor. Great MOD!

CONS: it's Not for everyone.. When it rains, going off road, etc. you might have a chance to scoop of all that water into the intake and right into the motor. Even with a pre-filter you can't guarantee it will not stop submerged water.

If you plan to do it. Most of the forum members put the scoop as high as possible and right next to the headlight (right next to the driver side headlight) & don't forget to use a water barrier or pre-filter made to fit the filter specs.

Check out GW77 Ram Air Mod!!

If you have the MXP Intake and want a Filter Wrap CLICK HERE
#8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Banned

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I lost 1 hp and 1 ft/lbs on back to back runs after removing the air filter.

294 RWHP and 383 RWTQ with the filter on the first pull

293 RWHP and 382 RWTQ without the filter on the 2nd and 3rd pulls.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike @ TAP View Post
The AirAid MXP CAI will flow more air in CFM than what the motor will/can pull in. This system is even better with a supercharger. When you are moving the air is constantly rushing into the front of vehicle (i.e. headlight area) where the filter is mounted. With all the air rushing in front of the vehicle there is no need for additional ram air sources. The design of this MXP is the best on the market. The BIG filter has enough flow even for a supercharger, The bigger intake piping aids into less noise turbulence compared to a small intake pipe, not to mention the built in velocity stack for the best flow. The Mass Air Flow sensor is in the BEST or sweet spot for optimal A/F reading. There is no need for an enclosed box as you will starve the motor for air. Just think... You shorten the length of piping to the motor, the less time you'll have for throttle response.

Although, there are a couple of people on here who put additional custom ram air mounts and i think it's really COOL ~literally!! If you can drop the intake temperature down (compared to the hot engine air temp) you'll make more power. But once you're rolling the hot air is expelled out and of the engine bay. PROS/CONS here...

PROS: What these guys are doing helps out for the drag strip. Lowering the intake air temp and forcing the air into the motor. Great MOD!

CONS: it's Not for everyone.. When it rains, going off road, etc. you might have a chance to scoop of all that water into the intake and right into the motor. Even with a pre-filter you can't guarantee it will not stop submerged water.

If you plan to do it. Most of the forum members put the scoop as high as possible and right next to the headlight (right next to the driver side headlight) & don't forget to use a water barrier or pre-filter made to fit the filter specs.

Check out GW77 Ram Air Mod!!

If you have the MXP Intake and want a Filter Wrap CLICK HERE
my friend has a little ram air tube on his evo 10.. i was checking it out and noticed that before the intake, the tubing had a little drop down section that would open/release when it got to heavy. this way, water passing through will fall into that section and when enough builds up it will just drop out through the bottom..

i dont know if this is already something common that people do, but I thought it was a pretty sick idea and want to do something similar when i build mine
The Following User Says Thank You to trevorkavanaugh For This Useful Post:
Chas @ TAP (12-28-2012)

Jump to top