Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tuning for better gas mileage - does it work?

16K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  aero320 
#1 ·
Anyone in the Austin area have a tuner that would help me out in tuning my 08 Armada for better gas mileage? Is it a big difference - anyone who has done this?

I am from the Rio Grand Valley / Texas but I will be in the Austin, TX area beginning of April.

Let me know,

Thanks!

#2 ·
Tuners can only be used on one vehicle. Most you could get not owning a license on any tuner is a 2° timing advance. That wont do much at all. As for a tune gaining mpgs.....your pissing into the wind. You'll get maybe a 2mpg gain with intake and tune.

#3 ·
I get better MPG using my Uprev 87 octane tune than I do when in the stock map. I doubt you would get a short ROI with Uprev. I haven't done the math on it but you would have to drive a lot of miles before you broke even.

#4 · (Edited)
A tune will def help. According to a certain magazine..an engine is most efficient where the torque and horsepower curves cross. If you can lower that in the rpms...should see a gain. I personally have seen a bottled up 80's model truck suck gas with a small carb but actually increase mpg when added a carb more suited for its size. I guess if you can add hp or torque without expanding the displacement allowing for lower rpm..your going to see an increase, provided you can keep your foot out if it. :) Im with the others, 2-3 mpg tops.

#5 ·
I had better MPG with the Bullydog GT. It's all about how much money you have to spend and how long it will take to reclaim funds spent on mods for better MPG.

#6 ·
Before I got the Uprev eTune, I did fuel mileage testing on a specific 32 mile course using the tunes from BDGT and comparing with Stock. This was before the addition of any mods to the truck. I could equal the the stock MPGs but could not exceed (which tells me Nissan has these tuned for mileage). That might change when you add a mod that lets the engine breath better (like and exhaust system). It appears that my mileage has improved with the Uprev eTune but it will take more testing to know if the improvement is real or not. I am definitely getting better mileage at higher highway speeds (75-80mph) with the eTune.

#7 ·
I went from 17mpg leveled on stock 20s to 12.5mpg when I added my 305/55s and a 2 inch spacer. I threw a tune on it using the hypertech and gained 2mpg on the hwy..if you factor in the cost of the tuner ~$200 and gas at approx $3.30/gal it'll take u a while to offset the cost. Perks are that you feel better when u get more miles to a tank (40/50) and more power so you'll smile a bit when you're on the gas. Just my experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
I went from getting 15mpg completely stock on the highway to over 20mpg with my current mods.

DT Long tubes
Gibson Dual Sport Catback
Volant Powercore intake
2/6 drop kit
92lb a piece wheel/tire combo that has a 11" contact patch.

I bet i could do better on a lighter tire/wheel combo and if i were to have a light weight tonneau. Although, it has been proven, with the tailgate up, it created an air vortex in the bed and doesnt really make a difference in mileage.

#15 ·
I was gonna say the same thing lmao. But really save yourself a headache of trying to get "good" fuel mileage in a titan. Some say they get 20mpg but most are full of crap. 15-19 is good for these hogs. Its a 10yr platform with ZERO fuel saving technologies....

#16 ·
You get uprev to get better performance. After I did all my mods which included uprev I got worse gas mileage, not because of the mods but because I drove it like an *** hole. Too much fun worth every penny!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
Mine went from 12.5 pre header and pimary cat delete to 14.5 with seymores tune and LT headers. Probably increase with secondary cat replacment of magnaflow cats, borla and new tune. Havnt been babying it just drive normal.

#20 ·
I also run 87 octane non ethanol gas only so it helps with mpgs some. But when I installed superchips,rims and 10ply tires I went from 16 to 12.5, then done uprev, LT headers, mxp, runinng true duals and stock bpipes right now and this is about the 3rd tune sense last mod of mxp. Power gains were very noticeable and mpgs jumped from 12.5-13 to 14.5-15. I was told theres no garentee that uprev will increase mpgs but it will not hurt them.

#23 ·
I can get 22 MPG on the open highway going 65 MPH in the summer (non-winter fuel). I'm hoping to get closer to 23 this summer with the change to an e-fan.

#24 ·
I don't understand how guys that are 4x4 can get over 20 in our trucks. I couldn't get that much out of mine highway when I was completely stock. I think the most I ever saw hwy was around 18. So, a bully dog is going to add about another 5?!! That's why im calling bs.

#32 ·
Hmmmmmm, another MPG thread to put on ignore.

#46 ·
I have a 2013 Pro-4X. I added Nismo cat-back exhaust and a K&N drop in air filter. I have Uprev and have absolutely seen an improvement in gas mileage. I am getting as good or better mileage as I did with my 2011 2WD. On the interstate, I can consistently get 17 while running 75-80 mph. Before the mods and Uprev, the mpg was about 15!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.