Nissan Titan Forum banner

Worth it or am I crazed and just wasting money?

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  bigdeal 
#1 ·
I upgraded my exhaust this winter to a Flowmaster cat-back dual exhaust system and I've been mesmerized by the change in power.:devil:

However, my already horrid gas milage (high of 16.0, average of 14.8 when not plowing) plummeted (12.6 in the winter when not plowing, 13.8 average in spring). Is it worth getting it dynotuned, or am I over thinking it? Is there a smarter alternative than dyno?:nerd:

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
UpRev is what you want. Dyno tuning is dumb when you can just data log your truck, email the logs to someone, and have them tune it for you. You'll probably only see a max gain in mpg of 1-3, but it'll feel great. I would contact Seymore4 here on the forum about UpRev.

#9 ·
Please tell me your not serious with this statement!! To the original poster. DO NOT just send your ROM out to anyone to tune your truck. This is not something anyone can do or should be attempting to do unless you are HIGHLY experienced with our trucks. Dyno tuning is not dumb!!! A combo of dyno/street tunes are FAR better then DATA logs and hoping for the best. Some of the best tuners in the world always use dynos.

#4 ·
You definitely want to get an Uprev tune, but NOT a dyno tune. We offer a complete tuning service where you get the Uprev cord so you can reflash the truck yourself and record datalogs so we can tune you remotely for a much better value. And in many cases a better tune too.. Not every guy with a dyno knows how to properly tune a Titan

Custom-Tuning

#5 ·
Yeah...seymore4's da man! You won't be disappointed.

#6 ·
UpRev with Seymore fo sho!

#10 ·
^^^ I think the "someone" he was referring to is a pro tuner or someone very familiar with our trucks. Randy and Joe have a ton of experience along with a few others.

A bad tuner is a bad tuner regardless of whether they're tuning via dyno or datalog. I think the moral of the story is to get someone that knows what they're doing and knows our trucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
I specifically said seymore4. It's in the quote.

#12 ·
Every mod I have ever done seems to decrease my MPG. Heavy aggressive tires and a heavy aggressive right foot kills MPG. At least it does for me. Getting rid of all the air and exhaust restrictions, and a tune just makes you want to drive faster and harder.
If you are 4x4 with 3.36 gears your MPG is right where it should be.

#17 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into UpRev. My worries of dynoing where I am is the only shop that does it semi-locally (within an hour) seems to be run by some hambones. My foot is heavy and I won't deny it, but as I said, I used to get 1-2 MPG better, and I haven't changed the way I drive. Looks like I may have to switch rides with the missus for commuting purposes (she drives 3 miles in an Altima, I'm driving 53 in the hog).

#20 · (Edited)
It all depends on who's doing the tune. Just because it was done on a dyno does not make one tune better than another, heck I've had guys come to me begging for me to "fix" their tune after they paid $700 for a "custom dyno tune" and it still didn't run right...then the shop wouldn't give them the time of day... Couple days shooting datalogs back and forth and they had a huge grin and were back in love with their truck again.

That being said if the tuner knows what they're doing (how to properly tune with Uprev AND experience with Titans) then yes a dyno tune will give better results than an etune. Ideally you would want a combination of both.

HOWEVER, for most Titan owners it just isn't worth the added cost/ hassle

#19 ·
Given that the people with a dyno that actually know how to tune a titan...an e-tune your getting real world driving in the area you drive in with the correct variables..for example I had my 450 dyno tuned at an elevation of 3,000ft -/+ and most my riding is at 800 ft elevation, so I had to make a few adjustments on my own to get it dialed in. A dyno also can't simulate load as a data logs obviously will. Not saying a etune is better but it all just depends. Seymore tuned my truck and prob a 1000 other Titans, vs a shop which maybe has dynoed 1-2 titans. If we were talking mustangs or corvettes than obviously there would be more options.

#21 ·
Uprev - Seymore tune and maybe get rid of the chokemaster.......

#23 ·
Seymore4's tunes. I promise you wont be dissatisfied. If your getting 14 mpg thats good. Mine dropped to 11.5-12 with superchips now iv changed my exhaust (only thing stock is bpipes) and intake plus uprev its around 14-14.8. And the power gain is amazing! Thank you seymore4.

#25 ·
Dude seymore4 did my base tune in like 2 hrs. I sent him my ecu part number he sent me my base tune which btw ran better than my truck ever ran even with bully gt. I will be posting my reviews on uprev and seymore4 when we are done. But i can already Seymore4 is legit. Fastest customer service ever. Also just went 150 miles on 8 gals of fuel you do the math.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
anyone that thinks dyno tuning isn't good ur wrong with the right tuner and dyno u can yield up to 20+ hp, yes I said 20 because I saw it done on a m45 while I was waiting for my dyno runs, it's about the tuner and if he knows what he's doing, put the sniffer in the tailpipe and read ur afrs at every 1000 rpms and makes changes as necessary. It's not easy takes yrs to get good at this and it's a fine art to be safe but get the most hp out of ur truck, but e tunes are great not downing them I'm still e tuned/ partially dyno tuned, he made some necessary adjustments.

#27 ·
The reason I use seymore over dyno, I have my own cable I pay one $500 fee up front and never pay for retuning. So its lifetime (life of the vehicle) support and retunes as needed. Dyno tune (where im located) you dont get your own cable and have to pay again everytime you retune for future mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.