Nissan Titan Forum banner

My modded titan is feeling sluggish compared to a stock titan, help please!

7K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  MSrockyblue 
#1 ·
Alright guys i wanted to see if i could get some help with my truck

so i have a 2007 crew cab le big tow
its has a 6inch lift on 35 ud tires
performance mods so far are
Jba long tubes, cajun 2.25 catted b- pipes, borla muffler swap, uprev tuned and my most recent mod was a airaid intake

i also have a 2008 king cab se flex fuel
it only had a leveling kit and 325 all terrains
the only thing it has is a flow master muffler swap

so the 07 thats modded is my is my daily driver and since i added the intake its felt like its slower. i have a friend with a 2010 tunrda 5.7 and when i put on my headers, b pipes and go it tuned he got a k&n intake and we raced a couple of times and i would keep up but he would still beat me (he is also running 35 mud tires), when i got my airaid intake he got a flow master muffler swap and we raced a week after and he beat me even worse and we've raced a couple of times since then and its the same thing its like im not even modded. so im not sure if my truck got slower or his got faster.

And there past couple of days ive been driving the 08 titan with only a muffler swap and when you put your foot into it it pulls good and keeps pulling till it tops out at 117 but it feels like it still has more, when i put my foot into the 07 it feels good only in first and second gear and once it gets to 65-70 it feels like it dies out and it seems like it takes forever to get to 80 compared to the 08 and it'll only get to 100 it really struggles to get passed 100

I think i have an exhaust leak on the 07 but i dont know if it would affect performance as much, does anyone have any ideas as to why my truck is feeling so sluggish? sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as possible

See less See more
#2 ·
An exhaust leak will definitely kill power but not sure how bad we're talking. Say for example, if your header flange gaskets get burnt and brittle and blew a chunk out, it would be really sluggish. Just depends. Also, I've read here and there that the airaid intake hurts gas mileage but I haven't heard of it killing power. With long tubes, you shouldn't be falling flat at 70. Get the leak checked and also your afr's.

Also, is your 08 a non big tow? That would explain it's ease of going over 100, if so.

#3 ·
I already got the header gaskets changed once because they burnt out, they were the ones that jba sends, so I bought oem ones, could they have burned too? And yes the 08 is non big tow, does that mean its faster in higher speeds, like if i were to race them both starting at lets say 60, would the 08 i have be faster? or why do they have less trouble getting over 100.

#4 ·
Have you been re tuned since adding the Airaid? 35s and CC weight aren't helping in the 07vs08 discussion but with your mods the 07 should be quicker.

I say datalog and re flash with a new tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
what are the actual size of the 325's, ie 325/xx/x? Also are you monitoring your speed with the speedometer or a Nav unit? 35's could throw your speed off. Now that your suspicious you may be finding things that you haven't really noticed before. I might would put the old intake on and feel it.

#6 · (Edited)
35's and 6" of lift are killing it for you. That lift adds a lot of weight to the truck not to mention exposes a lot of frame and sub frame. Couple that to tire size and yeah, the truck isn't goin to pull like a race truck. I agree with what was mentioned, a retune would help to account in the AIRAID.

#7 ·
35's and 6" of lift are killing it for you. That lift adds a lot of weight to the truck not to mention exposes a lot of frame and sub frame.
Beat me to it, exactly what I was going to post. aerodynamics take a massive dump when you lift it

#12 ·
Faster 0-60, not 80-120. Wicked has been doing a lot of testing rehearing and what's best. Not sure what he ended up concluding but he also said he probably wouldn't say what gears he ended up with but I'm not sure. Our trucks fall flat on their faces at higher speeds so keep that in mind,

#13 ·
The low tow gears are good for 140+ but unless you make alot of power, it's slow climbing after 120ish.

#14 ·
Its not the gears. Your prob running rich. Have your rev limit raised a couple hundred rpm and Manually shift. You wont run out of gear that way and short shift. Whoever is tuning you need to bring your vvt on way sooner it helps alot

#16 ·
I know when I went from the afe intake to the mxp Joe said I was running really lean, and I could feel it the way it was sliggish during logs, after he richened it its been fine. Not sure whos tuning you but I recommend Joe from cajun. Hes done all my tuning and him and jeff have helped me with my exhaust mods and walked me through it. Both are great to work with and will bend over backwards to keep the customer happy. Shoot him a PM "seymore4" and see what he'd charge to look at your logs and tune you. But like said before your lift and tires are robbing power from the truck.

#19 ·
my 09 thus far has zero engine or DT mods, except a factory style K&N filter and orange paint on the cover and intake pipe. Bone stock it will eventually bury the speedo and that' on 285/65/18s. after 110 it takes .. a LOT of runway to get up that high. I always assumed that was a computer thing. And no, I'm not a big tow. On the interstate, between 60-95 it seems the only things with beds that can hang with the stock T are the high mod dodgees w/ cummins. A lot slower off the line lately, but then, like I said, stock and still running the factory sparkies..lol:devil: and that's at 120k

#22 ·
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Reactions: NIS_TITAN06
#24 ·
I think you need to chill out man. I never came at you trying to argue.

You posted that a Titan can do 140mph no problem with 2.94's and the OP has a lift and 35's... Its pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together and assume you were talking about his truck being capable of doing that.

Should i start putting "lol" after my posts to make sure the sarcasm comes across? "lol"

#25 ·
I'm completely chill, but there's a couple things wrong with this. I said "A" 2.94 is good past 140. I never said "your." This was just an illustration to show that his other truck that he's comparing his modded truck to, should naturally have a higher top end than his 3.36 geared truck, for obvious reasons. You assumed what I was talking about and I don't think you read any of the posts before that one. And then you felt the need of schooling me on the top speed limiter, for whatever reason. I was genuinely trying to give the OP some useful info, but you, offering nothing constructive to the OP's worry, jump straight in, for no reason, to scold me on "safety." And for the record, I'm not upset or pissed off, so you guys can stop acting like it's me "with a short fuse." And for all the elitist members of this forum, just because someone has a low post count, or you just don't recognize them, because they're not one of the cool kids, doesn't mean you get to gang up and bash on them. But it's all good. I will continue to ask questions when I need help and help other people with questions or problems, if I can. If you don't like something I post, take a minute to "put 2 and 2 together," and make sure your math is correct before you respond, OR, don't respond at all. It's that simple. Lol

#26 ·
Anyways OP bottom line....more mods makes everything better :)

#41 · (Edited)
So guys a little update, i re tuned the truck for the intake and its running alot better, also still have an exhaust leak I need to take care and I will be re tuning again.
I was also wondering if im the only one lifted and on 35s that cant go past 110, the limiter is off but for some reason my truck just wont pull past 110 I've tried several times
And thanks for the re tune joe and letting me know about the leak

#42 ·
So guys a little update, i re tuned the truck for the intake and its running alot better, also still have an exhaust leak I need to take care and I will be re tuning again.
Also I was wondering if im the only one lifted and on 35s that cant go past 110, the limiter is off but for some reason my truck just wont pull past 110 I've tried several times
Well on 35's you shouldn't be doing 110 at all :lol: even if the truck can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.