Nissan Titan Forum banner

Quietest 3" in / out Muffler?

15K views 93 replies 19 participants last post by  nightowl 
#1 ·
After listening to my leaking manifolds and droning Banks cat-back exhaust for way to long, I finally pulled the trigger on some JBA LT headers and the Cajun 2.5 to 3" header back system (with catted b-pipes). As everyone knows, the Cajun system doesn't come with a muffler or tip. I'm more or less over the loud exhaust thing, so I'm looking for the quietest 3" in / out muffler that wont kill the efficiency of the Cajun 2.5 to 3" system. Something with zero drone and CIS and something that not very loud while towing a 7500 lb trailer in 4th at highway speeds.

Jeff from Cajun recommends a Borla 40944 but most video i have found seem to be showing off how loud their exhaust is under a heavy foot. Just try to figure out if the Borla 40944 with a Ultra Quite will be quit enough or do I need to find something else.

Thanks for any input.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Borla also has the 400436 which is a 24" round version. I currently run that with the UQ and its not bad at all. The 400436 is just a tad quieter than the 40944 but more expensive at $185.

#7 ·
I have been looking into that muffler. Not sure if it's worth the swap since you have confirmed it isn't much of a difference. The 40944 sounds awesome but gets to be a little loud on long trips. Not sure what to do now. I have actually been considered installing another UQ in front of the 40944. Nightowl what are your thoughts on that idea?

#14 ·
Mine is an 2004. I need a single in/out muffler. Are you running headers?

#8 ·
The Gibson 788025(aluminized steel) or 420887(stainless steel) will both be a decent amount quieter than most other mufflers on the market. If its still too loud after you install the muffler, you can put a UQ after it.

I'm running long tubes, stock B pipes and a Gibson Dual Sport cat-back and its not obnoxiously loud but i can see how it would be too loud for some people. I dont notice an interior drone at all with this setup. However, i've had the setup for almost 2 years so i may just be used to it.

#10 ·
Do you have some pics and specs of those mufflers? Customers are always worried about noise with the Cajun package and I would love a few more options to throw their way.

#11 · (Edited)
What kind of specs are you looking for?

Muffler is 24" case, 8" diameter. 3" center inlet, 3" center outlet.

The muffler is designed with a 3 chambers inside with a louvered core and no packing. Let me see if i can get a cutaway pic of one so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Edit: Here is a cutaway from the basic Gibson muffler. Louver size and pitch will change throughout the product line. Example: something for a v6 would have smaller louvers than a v8 muffler. This is so we can tune the frequency in the muffler and try to knock down drone.

#17 ·
I dont have any clips of my exhaust. Mainly because no one else drives my truck.

I can tell you though, under WOT, this thing gets loud. Its one of those setups that you can be relatively quiet if you need to be but you can piss off the driver next to you if they're on the phone or something. Ive had people roll up windows and stuff from driving next to the truck with their windows down and i goose it.

#20 · (Edited)
Reactions: MJockey
#21 ·
May be time for a new muffler as the Maggy has fiberglass packing and is likely gone from age. The Ultraquiet resonator will kill drone and tame noise about 25% when added to the tailpipe. The large 22-24" Maggies do a good job with noise but do not sound as good as the Borla.

#24 ·
Well the Headers are here so I quest it is time to make a decision.

I guess I'll try the Borla 400436 and hope that combined with the catted b-pipes and Ultraquite, it will be quieter (and no drone) than my Banks w/ Ultraquite cat-back. If it's to loud, then I'll try the Gibson.

#25 ·
Keep in mind, there is a difference between an interior drone and an exhaust just making noise. My truck doesnt drone on the freeway but i can hear my exhaust if the radio isnt turned on. If i turn the radio up to 10 or higher, i cant even hear the exhaust anymore.

You are going to hear your exhaust however, it may not necessarily be an interior drone.

#26 ·
Well the Borla 400436 was back ordered until 2015 so I got a Borla 40944. I did the install this past weekend.

First, many props to Jeff and Joe at Cajun. Jeff took time on Sunday to help me figure out a exhaust hanger issue, and Joe did my e-tune Sunday evening. Some of the best costumer service around.

I drove the truck yesterday to work and my wife drove it today. The consensuses is even with a UQ, it just too loud. My wife had family from out of town in the back seat and they said it hurt their ears. So I just ordered the Gibson 420887, hopefully that will do the trick.

On a side note, the torque and power increase over my past setup is very noticeable. The Titan will be an even better tow rig. :big_grin:

#32 ·
Did you purchase, receive and install the gibson? I ordered the 400436 on Nov. 4th from Jegs. I called Borla to see why its taking so long. I am a bit unhappy with Borla's customer service. When I called them the person that answered the phone was an a##hole. Didn't care about customer service for a single person since I am merely a one time buyer in his view i guess. If he would have been nicer I can understand there are many people are trying to purchase this product. I want to go with something else like the gibson, but there is little info from anybody running the 420887. I keep hearing "wait on the borla". I want my truck back.

#33 ·
I order the Gibson late Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It shipped Monday. I hopping to get it soon. I have a 2000 mile road trip this weekend, it would be nice to put it on before that. I'll post my thoughts on the Gibson as soon as I put it on.

Did you call Jegs? When I switched my order with Summit they weren't sure when they would get the 400436 in. I just looked at their site and it now says "ships today", but I would call and confirm they have them in stock.

I decides to try the Gibson because, I was told that the 400436 is only a little quieter than the 40944 that I have on there now. Currently my truck is as loud or louder than it was with the Banks catback without the UQ and stock manifolds (although it is a cleaner sportier sound now). I looking to make it more than a little quieter.
:wink:

#34 ·
Good talking to you today fdpeanut!

Really wanting to see what you guys think of the volume of your exhaust with that 420887 on it.

My truck is long tubes, stock (resonated) b-pipes then a Gibson Dual Sport exhaust. Its not loud to me inside the truck. I can imagine that under hard throttle, its outrageous outside the truck but inside, my intake is louder (Volant Gen3). If its under load (a trailer) then yeah, it makes some noise inside.

#38 · (Edited)
Well for those few that are looking for the performance gains of headers and a 2.5" to 3" exhaust without making your truck much louder than stock, I've found your setup. Now it has been over 6 years since I've had a stock exhaust but, if stock was a 1 and straight pipe open headers is a 10, this setup is around a 2 to 3.

The Borla 40944 w/ UQ was about a 3 at idle, a 6 when accelerating and a 4 at cruising speeds. There was a mild drone in the 1500 -2000 range.

The Gibson 420887 w/ UQ is about a 2 at idle, a 3 when accelerating and a 2 at cruising speeds. No drone or CIS. Since the UQ was already in my tailpipes section, I didn't try the Gibson without the Vibrant UQ.

I shot some video of all three exhausts and hope to get a comparison video posted soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.