Nissan Titan Forum banner

Opinions on my intake?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  GalaxyPro4X11 
#1 ·
I bought the truck with a k&n and throttle body spacer installed, with the stock stuff in a box. I'd assume the filter needs oil, and everything I read points to spacers just being along for the ride. I really doubt that I'm interested in oiling a filter for my truck. I've just installed headers and the pipes and tune are on the way so I'm not looking to do anything that involves some larger bills for a bit. Would you
1. Leave it alone and suck up oiling the filter. (I'm not a huge fan of oiling, seems to me that if it relies on oil, it's not meant to catch what it should.)
2. Go back stock, it's not that big of a gain anyway.
3.? Throw on a new filter head? Are they all oiled?
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Thumbs

#2 ·
put the stock back on is what id do. If you don't wanna mess with oil. theres a free DIY you can do with the stock filter setup that is said to give you some decent gainzzzzzzzz....maybe look up ******* mods or something like that.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Anytime I've emailed these guys they got back to me right away and were very helpful

#6 ·
Cleaning and oiling a K&N filter isn't hard/expensive. They sell kits at any auto parts store for around $10.

Spray on the cleaner, rinse off with hose, let dry completely, spray on oil, put back on truck.

#7 ·
Thanks for pointing me towards that mod. After reading through that I got worried I'd open another can of worms! Checking out the "how to" on oiling a k&n I see they have some serious mileage between cleaning and oil, up to 100,00 miles in optimum conditions?!? Maybe I'll consider giving this filter a shot, I don't know.

#10 ·
AEM filters are dry units... I use one in my Nismo filter box. They will fit most any of the other filter boxes. Just get the right opening diameter and length. No oil here... just clean air crossing the MAF sensor. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
That's another thing that concerned me... Getting oil on the MAF. Not sure how frequently that's an issue though. Thinking I'll run this k&n for a bit until the cash bleed has slowed and then look at switching the tip to a different dry filter.

#12 ·
As long as you let it dry and don't over oil it (dripping off the filter) you're fine. I run a dry filter in mine, but just put a drop-in K&N in my wife's Maxima and haven't ever had an issue over-oiling one of those before.

#14 ·
I used to run one before I got my MXP, so 6-ish years on it. Had one in my wife's Mazda for 7 years before her current car. I've had to clean and oil them a few times.

Reactions: 9re9
#16 ·
I ran a K&N CAI on my 08 frontier an had to change a maf because of my own fault. I never ever had oil dripping off my K&N filter but clearly there was too much

Reactions: 9re9
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.