Nissan Titan Forum banner

GM 14 bolt rear axle conversion

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  CVTitan05 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm considering putting a GM 14 bolt in for a rear axle. 6 lug disc brake conversion so I can keep my $4k rims... Im prob gonna adapt the stock tone rings to fit the back of the new 6 lug hubs, and fab sensor mounts. Will go from the weakest axle on a 1/4 ton truck to the strongest that can run up to 44 tires no prob. Just figured I'd open it up for discussion.

#4 ·
The titan rear axle isn't all that weak, as stated above, install a trutrac and it will hold. Numerous titans have gone to the track on slicks and sprayed nitrous leaving the line, with anywhere from 500-700rwtq and no one has broke an axle. Neglect and not using proper upgrades will kill them. Shock mounts, yes thats another story, but there are weld on upgrades for that. As for traction aids, look at either long bars if going lift, which i assume since you are going to run 44s. Or if staying near stock height, caltracs by Calvert Racing are the #1 traction aid.

#5 ·
I've broken two axles in mine already... I have 4:10 gears, trutrac, traction bars, and air bags in the rear so traction and suspension are not an issue. The stock axle is simply not strong enough to turn big wheels and tires when off-road, especially when loaded out for an expedition when the truck weights 9,500lbs. A 14 bolt free flow axle is probably 10 times stronger which is why I want to go 14 bolt.

#9 ·
Well theres you're problem, you're excessively the exceeding the limits of the oem stuff, 9500lbs full weight, i'd pick a different vehicle to ''expedition'' with. You're going to have more than just rear axle problems as well, the transmission is going to eat itself if not taken care of or built. I'm assuming you have factory cooling on that titan as well.

#11 ·
I'm going to call keyboard wizard on this. Too many things don't add up. Take a look at the pics on his so-called expedition vehicle site. One shows him throttled up in the sand. Except, he's only shooting one sand rooster, off the passenger side rear wheel. So he's not running any sort of LSD or locker. He claims 7 feet of water depth capability, but even including his lift, that's all but the last 8-10" of cab top, best case. Then he's on here complaining about his Titan as a 1/4 ton, but on his site, he blogs about how he went across the country off-grid, only stopping for gas, and everything works perfectly. And now he wants a "full flow" rearend? Something doesn't add up. My gut says, keyboard wizard.

And, for the record, the Dana 44 is plenty stout for all sorts of big meats and high stress. I've seen them under Jeeps, Broncos, F150s, and GM trucks doing just fine with 35s, 38s, 40s, and 44s. I've also seem a kid I grew up with trash multiple 3/4 ton diffs (fronts and rears) by doing stupid stuff. Somewhere in a box, I've got a spider gear which looks smooth like a bearing race from a high-power throttle response to a bound up rear wheel against a stump crossing a pond. Wish I knew where it was. I'd post a pic.

#12 ·
The ford Sterling 10.25 wouldn't be a bad axle to use either. Its what is under my 96 F350 with 7.3. 10.25" ring gear (Hence the name) Factory 4.11s and Limited slip, full float, and has a speed sensor built into the diff housing! Maybe able to use that speed sensor instead of adapting some to the ends of the 14b?

#13 ·
The 14 bolt being full float, sorry for the typo... Is inherently much stronger than a D60. Also the Titan can only function properly using the same speed sensors and tone rings, or a custom cad designed larger set of tone rings to the exact same working specs only made larger using a mathematical equation. I want to adapt my tone rings to the back of a 6 lug disk brake conversion hub so I can keep my beadlocks and save all that trouble. Obviously nobody on here has any idea what I'm talking about so I'll jump off for a while send post some pics when it's done. ???

#14 ·
Oh I know exactly what your talking about, and your not the first to do it, nor the last. WFO concepts has done 3 or 4 trucks, including D60 full floats, D70's, and 14bolts.

You want to remove the tone ring off of your existing axle shaft, and press it onto the hub of the 14 bolt, then create a little bracket that holds the speed sensor.

Its not rocket science. And theres no reason to be an a$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.