New Upgrades for my Titan! Suspension and Drivetrain - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 4,972 Times in 2,576 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JauntyBishop
New Upgrades for my Titan! Suspension and Drivetrain

After talking with Greg at PRG about my end goal with my truck, I decided to go forth with giving my truck a new look. I bought some suspension goodies a few days ago as well as new tires and finishing up my OEM 20x8 wheels.

First off here is my truck as it sits currently, picture taken a few days ago. I'm just going to list current suspension mods to keep the thread simple.

Current Suspension Mods:

Bilstein 5100 struts up front on lowest setting, factory oem 2wd coils.
Bilstein 5100 shocks out back with All Day Fab rear drop shackles.
NFABWORKS Traction Bars (these aren't made any more as they were made by CNALLICK with the diesel 5.9 cummins titan many years ago).
PRG Sway Bar Billet Mount/Bushing kit
PRG Sway Bar end links

Wheels and tires: KMC Rockstar 20x10 -24 Offset with Toyo Proxes ST2 305/50r20 on all 4. (Pinch weld mod up front)

Notice the ride height, nothing fancy. I'm a 2008.5 2wd CC but I use a 2006 4x4 rear axle with 3.36 and trutrac. The point being is the rear spring perches are taller on the 4x4 than the 2wd. The truck still looks like a stink bug with a lot of rake even with drop shackles. Even though the 2008+ come with a large rack from the factory, the taller perches compounded this before the ADF shackles.

These images below are the NFABWORKS Traction Bars I've been running since 2010 without zero issue. These will be FOR SALE very soon.

If you notice in this picture, the Shim/wedge between perch and leaf spring, yeah didn't know at the time there was a major height difference, but the 6-8 degree shims fixed it, no problems for all these years. 2008.5 2wd truck with 2006 4x4 rear axle.

PRG sway bar mounts/bushing kit and Endlinks installed along with Bilstein 5100s.

Ok now that the ''current'' and old stuff is out of the way, time for the new upgrades and route i'm going with.

I decided to purchase the PRG flip kit for the correct amount of drop in the rear and can alter the overall height with the ADF shackles. I'm replacing the 5100s out back with the supplied custom length Bilstein 5125. This was a better option in my opinion than going with removing the 3rd leaf spring, as it wouldn't lower the truck as much as i'd want and it would be possible I wouldn't like the ride. This is the correct way to do the drop and PRG includes a 3 leaf Add-a-leaf which will still allow me to have a payload of around 500-700lbs without issue. Just enough for my bike. PERFECT!
PRG Flip Kit (Custom length Bilstein 5125, 5/8 U bolts, Weld On spring perches, 3 Leaf Add-a-leaf, plates)

The next few mods were just stuff I wanted...

PRG Differential Cover, I really like the look of this cover and i've always wanted one, plus its time to change the rear diff fluid anyway so why not.

PRG ENGINE MOUNTS (urethane). These are something I'm going to install during my next header install (yes I said next header install, i'm getting new ones again...more on that later). I also think these will add a little more clearance, and the truck is 9yrs old, might as well replace certain wearable parts while i'm in there.

PRG Steering Rack Bushing Kit: This is something I've been wanting to replace as well, because I'm doing a front suspension refresh and might as well address these bushings while I'm in there. I'll post feed back results on these in terms of response and feel.

New Tires: Nitto 420S. I got two of these (rears) from WikedVK when I bought his OEM 20x8 wheels. Bought the fronts new a few days ago. The wheels are still currently at the paint shop getting powder coated... driving me crazy.
Front 275/55r20
Rear 285/50r20

So all this stuff has been ordered and awaiting for installation.

For the front suspension and lowering it, i'm going to do what Greg at PRG recommends and just retaining my 5100s up front and cold cutting a single coil from the bottom of the oem coil springs. This will lower the truck to the height I want as well as providing the correct spring rate.. 650lb if i recall?

Eventually I will upgrade to Radflo coilovers for a lowered setup, but for now this route will work fine.

Also, going to purchase new Nissan OEM Upper and Lower control arms since they come with ball joints and its tough to beat the quality since they've lasted this long at 150k miles and just now wearing out.

The final upgrade to the suspension is out back, i'm going to be selling the NFABWORKs traction bars and upgrading them to CALVERT RACING CALTRACS.

These are the CALTRACS courtesy of OSTAF for making this happen within the Titan community. Pics of them installed on his truck.

This is how they mount to the front of the leaf spring.

This is a PRG Flip Kit intstalled on a Titan for reference of how the leaf springs mount under the axle, notice the flat plate that the U-Bolts hook up too. I will see if Calvert Racing can provide me a titan kit with a flat mount so I can utilize them on the flip kit.

So now that you've seen both Caltracs installed on a titan and how they are cupped to fit the axle, as well as the PRG flip kit and it would require a flat mounting plate for the caltracs to install correctly as well as provide better ground clearance. Here are some images below of the Caltracs for Flip kit setups from other platforms.

Well, thats it for now.

I will post pics of each part that is installed.

I will be doing the Differential kit install first and the rest will be done at the shop.

Just waiting for these wheels to get finished powder coating and it will be a new truck in terms of stance.

Cory
2008.5 Crew Cab SE FFV 2wd.
Bolt ons...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
377rwhp/432rwtq (Dynocom 5000)

MOD LIST with Current Projects (Custom Headers and Cylinder head build) Link Below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JauntyBishop For This Useful Post:
Pale Rider (03-12-2017), TheeKB (04-10-2017), TX8STEP (03-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 AM

Garage
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Re: New Upgrades for my Titan! Suspension and Drivetrain

Don't we ever sleep? Good pics by the way. I hadn't seen those bars before.

New headers huh?????

2012 Titan Pro4X FFV
'Smoke'

Power mods: Airaid MXP, E-Lock Mod, Uprev tuned, JBA LTs, Cajun B-pipes 2.25'' catted & catless
, Gibson Side Swept Stainless w/ Borla muffler, Trans-Go shift kit.

Other mods: Husky floor liners, Wet-Okole, Magellan GPS w/ CCD camera, Go Rhino steps, PRG street bars, PRG end links, King all 4, DK Moog UCA, ARE Camper, Super Reverse 3.0 lights, axle vent mod, Firestone Bags, Trans Cooler

"Common sense is not so common."
Voltaire
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Awesome setup! definitely feelin' those traction bars! i gotta get around to changing out those swaybar bushings and steering rack bushings too!

2008 Nissan Titan LWB
Suspension Front:~Maxtrac Spindles~PRG 1.5" Spacer~Radflo 2.0's~DirtKing UCA's~PRG Endlinks~SPC Cambolts~Moog LCA's~PRG Derlin Spacers~PROTHANE Bushing~
Suspension Rear:~PRG Deaver C-30's~4" Blocks~Bilstein 5125 Shocks~Crown Suspension Adjustable Shackles~Custom CJD Racing 60" Traction Bars~
Wheels/Tires/Brakes:~20x10-24mm Fuel Hostage~35/12.5R20 Atturo MT'z~Maxtrac Extended BrakeLines~Front/Rear CrossDrilled/Slotted Rotors~
Lighting~Blk LED Halo Projector Headlights~XenonVision 35W 6K HID Kit~FogLight 5 CREE LED~White Interior LED Kit~3157 Switchback LED Turn Signal~Amber 450LM Led 194~
Exterior~Black Tow Mirrors~Iron Cross HD Step Bars~Carbon Fiber Door Handle Covers~AeroSkin Hood Protector~Upper/Lower Custom Satin Black Mesh Grill w/ Stainless Hardware~Fuel OffRoad Grill Emblem painted Satin Black/Carbon Fiber~20% Tint~AVS In-Channel Visor~PU Front Bumper w/ Bumper Cap Mod~Textured Fender Flares~SatinBlack Rear Bumper~SD Chargers Hitch~
Audio:~Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD~7"(2) HeadRest Monitors~FocalK2Pwr 6.5" Comp Frt/Rear~Tusunami 1.2FaradCap~Thunder2300X 4ch~Thunder280 2ch~Custom Sealed Enclosure w/ Polyfill~2 12" KickerProCompR~Fully Dynamatt Doors/Floorboards~Digital LED Voltage Display Fuse Holder~Stinger Gauge Pwr/Grnd Amp Wire Distribution Block~Stinger Pro 4 Gauge Blue/Clear Power/Ground Battery Wire~4/2-Channel 4000 Series RCA Cable~Stinger 14-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire~
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Premium User

Garage

Yep going to go with the new JBA 1-3/4 when they come out. They are going to be really nice. A lot better than what has been offered

Cory
Bolt ons...

MOD LIST with Current Projects (Custom Headers and Cylinder head build) Link Below.

The Following User Says Thank You to JauntyBishop For This Useful Post:
Cuban11182 (03-12-2017)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Premium User

Garage

Calvert Racing makes some high quality traction bars. Different than a long bar setup that attaches to the frame. These attach to the front of the leaf spring.

Cory
Bolt ons...

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JauntyBishop View Post
Calvert Racing makes some high quality traction bars. Different than a long bar setup that attaches to the frame. These attach to the front of the leaf spring.
How does
that differ?

2012 Titan Pro4X FFV
'Smoke'

Power mods: Airaid MXP, E-Lock Mod, Uprev tuned, JBA LTs, Cajun B-pipes 2.25'' catted & catless

Other mods: Husky floor liners, Wet-Okole, Magellan GPS w/ CCD camera, Go Rhino steps, PRG street bars, PRG end links, King all 4, DK Moog UCA, ARE Camper, Super Reverse 3.0 lights, axle vent mod, Firestone Bags, Trans Cooler

Voltaire
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Premium User

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban11182 View Post
How does
that differ?
Well on a 2wd lowered truck like mine you want the rear mounting point to be lower than the front point. The Caltrac does this as it also mounts to the front leaf spring vs the Nfab works long bars which are typically designed for lifted trucks and attach to the frame. Currently my T bars sit lower in the front than the rear.

You'll have to scroll above and look at the pics as well as look how both long bars and Caltracs work with leaf spring suspensions. I don't have any photos currently as I'm not on my laptop.

They both achieve the same thing however which is preventing wheel hop/axle wrap.

You can adjust preload and help make the truck launch better and quicker.

Front and rear shock compression and rebound come into play as well as weight transfer. But honestly these are daily driven trucks... traction bars like Caltracs on a lowered setup should be sufficient if properly set up right.

Cory
Bolt ons...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Premium User

Garage

Going to order Goodridge stainless brake line kit as well.
5 line kit.

Also Greg mentioned shimming the carrier bearing to raise it after the flip kit install. Help reduce drive line vibrations. I've heard people do this even with adding drop shackles.

Cory
Bolt ons...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Premium User

Garage

It doesn't end there either... I talked to Pat at level 10 and I'm going to have him build my valve body. Get that out of the way. Now this won't be until after my cams are installed.

Plus it saves some money for when I do the fill level 10 build next year.

It never ends... I mean I guess I could stop and put this money towards another platform to build upon.

Cory
Bolt ons...

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Garage

There's nothing else for us to do! That's the thing.

2012 Titan Pro4X FFV
'Smoke'

Voltaire
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

If you end up needing a little extra leveling capacity, you can install Hellwig spring helpers. I installed a flip kit on my 08 Tundra installed some. Hellwig makes helper springs that are two piece. One in front and one behind the axle. I took a shot in the dark, and they worked under the axle. They are progressive load, so you can snug up a little with a socket wrench if you need the extra capacity. I believe they are 1500# leveling. Using one side gives you an extra 750#.

Factory:
-Big Tow, Utility Max, Sunroof, Entertainment, Leather, Spray Bedliner, seat storage, Titan Front floor mats, 2013 Titan air dam

After Market:
-ARE Tonneau Cover, bilstein 4600's, window tint, Injen CAI, JBA headers 6400SJT, Cajun catted bpipes, Cajun catback, Cajun tune, Vibrant resonator, Borla 400436, Borla 20251 Exhaust Tip, 22" Black Rino "Peak" w/Hancook Ventus 305-45R22, Hellwig Rear Swaybar, Belltech front swaybar w/ PRG mounts & Moog endlinks

Last edited by TX8STEP; 03-13-2017 at 12:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TX8STEP For This Useful Post:
JauntyBishop (03-14-2017)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Premium User

Garage

Quote:
There's nothing else for us to do! That's the thing.
Nonsense lol. I'm building my engine starting in november. Its going to be a one of a kind. Think large displacement. Been talking about it for years, finally have the resources and knowledge base to help get me there.

Plus i'm going to have Level 10 build the transmission.

It will all happen, i've decided on the goal and to proceed with the building the titan to what I want. I've already got the build sheet spec'd out for what needs to be accomplished. Will it be expensive, yes but similar to building a Coyote 5.0 for NA. But that's why we have loan programs/lines of credit.

I've definitely had second thoughts of just stopping and leaving well enough alone and just getting me an E46 M3 6spd, but that can come later too. I really want to get this truck to a point where no one else has ventured (to my knowledge).

My thinking is, aftermarket companies won't remotely entertain the idea of producing new or upgraded parts for the Titan if no one decides to take initiative on something that hasn't been done yet.

With me... No sponsors etc.. unless someone comes to me and offers voluntarily.. I'd rather pay for the product and support the company for their R&D.

The best way to get a discount is not to ask for one. Let your reputation work for you. In this day in age of Facebook and forums in regards to reputation... We rarely meet the people we interact with on social media even though our lives are governed by the ''like'' button as it seems.. so you treat it as you will.

Whether good or bad as long as your reach your end goal, thats what matters. You can't take any of this with you, plus i'm not married with zero chilrens... so why not..?

Cory
Bolt ons...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JauntyBishop For This Useful Post:
honda250xtitan (03-14-2017), Pale Rider (03-14-2017)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JauntyBishop View Post
Nonsense lol. I'm building my engine starting in november. Its going to be a one of a kind. Think large displacement. Been talking about it for years, finally have the resources and knowledge base to help get me there.

Plus i'm going to have Level 10 build the transmission.

It will all happen, i've decided on the goal and to proceed with the building the titan to what I want. I've already got the build sheet spec'd out for what needs to be accomplished. Will it be expensive, yes but similar to building a Coyote 5.0 for NA. But that's why we have loan programs/lines of credit.

I've definitely had second thoughts of just stopping and leaving well enough alone and just getting me an E46 M3 6spd, but that can come later too. I really want to get this truck to a point where no one else has ventured (to my knowledge).

My thinking is, aftermarket companies won't remotely entertain the idea of producing new or upgraded parts for the Titan if no one decides to take initiative on something that hasn't been done yet.

With me... No sponsors etc.. unless someone comes to me and offers voluntarily.. I'd rather pay for the product and support the company for their R&D.

The best way to get a discount is not to ask for one. Let your reputation work for you. In this day in age of Facebook and forums in regards to reputation... We rarely meet the people we interact with on social media even though our lives are governed by the ''like'' button as it seems.. so you treat it as you will.

Whether good or bad as long as your reach your end goal, thats what matters. You can't take any of this with you, plus i'm not married with zero chilrens... so why not..?

I can't wait to see what you do. I'm more than comfortable building my own engine when the times comes, so I might follow suit. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

After talking with Pat the first time, that's what I'm going to do as well. My dad lives about an hour away from him, so I'll just drive the truck up. Plus I want a little time with the transgo so it won't seem like a total loss ofmoney.

You had me going on that F150 5.0. I was pricing everything out, but after all my Titan is paid for. Anything I do now is much cheaper than getting a new truck and then modding it.

My guys at work love my truck and for the most part tell me to keep it and get a play car. Not sure I can swing a CJ7 and a play car....maybe a new wife if it comes down to it, lol.

I agree, but with our phased out body style and now a newer engine in the gassers, I hope you're right.

You picking at someone?

My problem is I have no idea what I want my end goal to be. I'm thinking cams, trans and that's it. But who knows? I change my mind like I change my underwear.

2012 Titan Pro4X FFV
'Smoke'

Voltaire
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:48 PM

I don`t care for the VVL in the new Armada`s, is this the same engine in the new Titan as well.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Premium User

Garage

Quote:
I can't wait to see what you do. I'm more than comfortable building my own engine when the times comes, so I might follow suit. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

After talking with Pat the first time, that's what I'm going to do as well. My dad lives about an hour away from him, so I'll just drive the truck up. Plus I want a little time with the transgo so it won't seem like a total loss ofmoney.

You had me going on that F150 5.0. I was pricing everything out, but after all my Titan is paid for. Anything I do now is much cheaper than getting a new truck and then modding it.

My guys at work love my truck and for the most part tell me to keep it and get a play car. Not sure I can swing a CJ7 and a play car....maybe a new wife if it comes down to it, lol.

I agree, but with our phased out body style and now a newer engine in the gassers, I hope you're right.

You picking at someone? No not at all. I See where you are coming from though about it however.
I've washed my hands clean of that situation and moved on. It's not worth the drama. I wish the best of luck to them.

My problem is I have no idea what I want my end goal to be. I'm thinking cams, trans and that's it. But who knows? I change my mind like I change my underwear.
Yeah I have my engine goal being sorted out. I've been studying compression heights, rod lengths using different strokes. Then taking into account rod ratio and piston speeds. Rod angle and forces on piston thrust side.

With the build I'm going with it will stay all motor and not use forced induction.

It will be at a minimum of 377ci. Larger stroke than bore or undersquare which is fine for the end goal and rpm.

I'm retaining the MGT90 intake manifold and going to build a torque monster more so than what it is currently.

It will make 500rwtq all motor. That is my goal and it's plenty.

Also going to look at swapping first and second re5r05a transmission gear ratios from the titan version to the 350z/g35. Utilize first gear a little more. Or just leave it be and swap in 2.94s.

Will give me an opportunity to WPC treat the entire gear set and input/output shafts as well as the other components aside from friction plates and clutch packs.

Titan left vs 350z right

1st 3.827. 3.54
2nd 2.368. 2.264
3rd 1.52. 1.471
4th 1.0. 1
5th .834. .83

Something I've been pondering is WPC treating the valve body plungers/valves. Less friction possibly quicker actuation. Or even the valve body passages themselves.

But that's a big risk as there is more than just fluid flow happening. I imagine harmonics and a certain level of friction etc play a role.

This is just brain storming.

Down right silly for a titan and some may think it's wasteful or ludicrous...

That's fine too.

Cory
Bolt ons...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top