Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
kmccb23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ytown, OH
Posts: 163
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

What's up fellas. I just want a little growl for my T.

I like the sound of this: https://youtu.be/3PP-HOO25GU

It says it's a "dynomax ultra flo muffler"..

Anyone know the part number or roughly what it would cost to get something like this installed?

I got a boss / wife who would freak if I went and got something super loud. This sound seems like a nice growl and pretty simple, no?

Thanks for any advice..




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CrewCab
DRLs // Carbon Fiber Vinyl // Interior LEDs
kmccb23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Registered User
 
danman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

I don't have one, but I hear the JBA catback sounds good, just a little louder than stock, for under 400. If you are looking for a direct muffler swap and keep everything else, it trickier, especially with your 2008. The two in one out muffler market is limited for tame mufflers, imo, and you will probably get more bark than you bargained for....and worse, drone.

that dude in the youtube vid has an older model titan, where "stock pipes" is single in/out at the muffler. the newer style, like you have is dual in, single out so this muffler wont work as a simple swap...

there is always the cajun system...then you can use this muffler


"more LED`s, fake lifts, and how to change a dam headlight bulb is what this place is all about, wow!... hahahahaha"

~Pale Rider~


flowmaster attached with clamps and flex pipe for epic exhuast notes...right...

danman is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Registered User
 
Lee-the-Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Posts: 1,783
Thanks: 570
Thanked 573 Times in 399 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Just hack off your pipes at the muffler, screw on a pair of 45 degree turndowns, and drive it like you stole it for a few days until the new MM catback system you will order arrives. After that a few days of nasty snarl and ripping noises, even the loudest and proudest Titan catback system will sound nice and tame to the wife.

Seriously, contact Cajun and tell them your desires, they'll set you up nice.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!
Till it falls apart................Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/niss...king-totm.html


-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
Lee-the-Impaler is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-the-Impaler For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-17-2017)
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 119
Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

My advice is get a Borla muffler. How much you looking to spend?

I got mine for $200, with professional installation.
TheLaSwamp is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLaSwamp For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-17-2017)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Supporting Vendor
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member
 
nightowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Shreveport, La.
Posts: 7,600
Thanks: 8,593
Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,370 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 137 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

A set of Cajun bpipes will do it but if you go with a muffler swap i recommend JBA or Borla these will work with headers down the road when the manifolds crack and headers are installed...do your homework to save $$$$ down the road.

YOUR CRACKED MANIFOLD ONE STOP SHOP

-CUSTOM BPIPES
-JBA HEADERS
-JBA CATBACK
-AXLE VENT KITS
-2.5" CAJUN Y PIPES
-VIBRANT ULTRAQUIET RESONATORS
-CUSTOM TUNING "NO DYNO NEEDED"


http://www.cajunbpipes.com
UPREV INFO-CAJUNTUNING@GMAIL.COM
nightowl is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
kmccb23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ytown, OH
Posts: 163
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
A set of Cajun bpipes will do it but if you go with a muffler swap i recommend JBA or Borla these will work with headers down the road when the manifolds crack and headers are installed...do your homework to save $$$$ down the road.
Jeff asked me to call him to point me in the right direction and I'm hoping to do that tomorrow..

Manifolds crack? I know nothing about mechanic stuff.. That sounds bad... Is that common on our T's? Mine is an 08 with 38,000 miles..

2008 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CrewCab
DRLs // Carbon Fiber Vinyl // Interior LEDs
kmccb23 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to kmccb23 For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-18-2017)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
kmccb23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ytown, OH
Posts: 163
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaSwamp View Post
My advice is get a Borla muffler. How much you looking to spend?

I got mine for $200, with professional installation.
I was hoping for $150 or under.. $200 isn't bad.. You have a sound clip? How loud is it and how bad is the drone?

Thanks!

2008 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CrewCab
DRLs // Carbon Fiber Vinyl // Interior LEDs
kmccb23 is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Registered User
 
danman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccb23 View Post
I was hoping for $150 or under.. $200 isn't bad.. You have a sound clip? How loud is it and how bad is the drone?

Thanks!
You need to search this forum, lots of threads on this topic...

If you go cheap cheap, you will have a truck that sounds like hot garbage...spend a little more and get something that will last longer than you'll probably own your truck...Jeff makes his parts with 409 ss...great great great...and it won't break the bank if you do your research beforehand. Jeff will fill you in on all the juicy details tomorrow if you ask the right questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


"more LED`s, fake lifts, and how to change a dam headlight bulb is what this place is all about, wow!... hahahahaha"

~Pale Rider~


flowmaster attached with clamps and flex pipe for epic exhuast notes...right...

danman is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
kmccb23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ytown, OH
Posts: 163
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
You need to search this forum, lots of threads on this topic...

If you go cheap cheap, you will have a truck that sounds like hot garbage...spend a little more and get something that will last longer than you'll probably own your truck...Jeff makes his parts with 409 ss...great great great...and it won't break the bank if you do your research beforehand. Jeff will fill you in on all the juicy details tomorrow if you ask the right questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


Lol. "If I ask the right questions.." I feel like this is a test. One I will most likely fail. I'll give it a go tho!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CrewCab
DRLs // Carbon Fiber Vinyl // Interior LEDs
kmccb23 is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Registered User
 
danman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccb23 View Post
Lol. "If I ask the right questions.." I feel like this is a test. One I will most likely fail. I'll give it a go tho!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, you have a lot to learn, but this is the resource for learning...Mostly lifts, led's and junk like that, but if you follow some serious motor heads like jaunty bishop and pale rider for recent threader and older posters who are no longer active like deerslayer and 05cc reading all the relate to historicals, you will learn a lot from tested titans past...and present.

Jeff is a good guy...he won't steer you wrong. He'll tell you more about your exhaust than you know...or thought you know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


"more LED`s, fake lifts, and how to change a dam headlight bulb is what this place is all about, wow!... hahahahaha"

~Pale Rider~


flowmaster attached with clamps and flex pipe for epic exhuast notes...right...

danman is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Registered User
 
Lee-the-Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Posts: 1,783
Thanks: 570
Thanked 573 Times in 399 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
Well, you have a lot to learn, but this is the resource for learning...Mostly lifts, led's and junk like that, but if you follow some serious motor heads like jaunty bishop and pale rider for recent threader and older posters who are no longer active like deerslayer and 05cc reading all the relate to historicals, you will learn a lot from tested titans past...and present.

Jeff is a good guy...he won't steer you wrong. He'll tell you more about your exhaust than you know...or thought you know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As an 'LED and junk" guy myself, I'll tell you straight, I watch the actual performance build threads closely, because when the day comes I have my warning strobes, armor, full floater rear, 9" or better front diff, eight lugs, 3.73 gears, Custom trac bars, Long travel front, Icons, and tow mirrors...The tranny goes the way of the dinosaur and the motor is getting serious steroids (or replaced). I have never seen the point of building massive power only to rip apart everything south of the shaft. Yeah, we're fly-by-night, dirt driveway hobbyist knuckle-busters...but a custom LED lower grille project, or painting our calipers scratches the mod-addict-itch while we do more important things, like gather $ for builds and teach ourselves to weld.

OP: Keep educating yourself, no knowledge is without merit, and there's more on TT about our trucks than you'll ever absorb. Nothing done right on a Titan comes cheap, in $ and/or in effort. I've done several mods that cost very little money, but took a lot of time. Unfortunately, apparently, they are worthless because they just look cool, and don't cause me to destroy expensive tires at every hammer-down start. If it interests you, go for it.. You'll be good at this stuff before you realize it.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!
Till it falls apart................Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/niss...king-totm.html


-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
Lee-the-Impaler is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-the-Impaler For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-18-2017)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 AM
Registered User
 
danman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 161
Thanks: 39
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-the-Impaler View Post
As an 'LED and junk" guy myself, I'll tell you straight, I watch the actual performance build threads closely, because when the day comes I have my warning strobes, armor, full floater rear, 9" or better front diff, eight lugs, 3.73 gears, Custom trac bars, Long travel front, Icons, and tow mirrors...The tranny goes the way of the dinosaur and the motor is getting serious steroids (or replaced). I have never seen the point of building massive power only to rip apart everything south of the shaft. Yeah, we're fly-by-night, dirt driveway hobbyist knuckle-busters...but a custom LED lower grille project, or painting our calipers scratches the mod-addict-itch while we do more important things, like gather $ for builds and teach ourselves to weld.

OP: Keep educating yourself, no knowledge is without merit, and there's more on TT about our trucks than you'll ever absorb. Nothing done right on a Titan comes cheap, in $ and/or in effort. I've done several mods that cost very little money, but took a lot of time. Unfortunately, apparently, they are worthless because they just look cool, and don't cause me to destroy expensive tires at every hammer-down start. If it interests you, go for it.. You'll be good at this stuff before you realize it.
Hey man, the "motor" has big power potential. I think if the intake was designed differently, not much could touch a vk56 na...pound for pound

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


"more LED`s, fake lifts, and how to change a dam headlight bulb is what this place is all about, wow!... hahahahaha"

~Pale Rider~


flowmaster attached with clamps and flex pipe for epic exhuast notes...right...

danman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:
Pale Rider (04-19-2017)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Supporting Vendor
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member
 
nightowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Shreveport, La.
Posts: 7,600
Thanks: 8,593
Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,370 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 137 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccb23 View Post
Jeff asked me to call him to point me in the right direction and I'm hoping to do that tomorrow..

Manifolds crack? I know nothing about mechanic stuff.. That sounds bad... Is that common on our T's? Mine is an 08 with 38,000 miles..
This is exactly why you should call me before you spend a dime. It will happen eventually.

YOUR CRACKED MANIFOLD ONE STOP SHOP

-CUSTOM BPIPES
-JBA HEADERS
-JBA CATBACK
-AXLE VENT KITS
-2.5" CAJUN Y PIPES
-VIBRANT ULTRAQUIET RESONATORS
-CUSTOM TUNING "NO DYNO NEEDED"


http://www.cajunbpipes.com
UPREV INFO-CAJUNTUNING@GMAIL.COM
nightowl is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 119
Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccb23 View Post
I was hoping for $150 or under.. $200 isn't bad.. You have a sound clip? How loud is it and how bad is the drone?

Thanks!
For that price installed, you're looking at a straight muffler swap.

The Borla install I have is common on this board, the Borla 40348. There are lots of sound clips floating around for the Titan and this muffler. It has a nice sound, but it's not obnoxious. I've taken my Titan out on the interstate at 70mph and there was no drone. You can hear the muffler, but it's not unpleasantly loud. I had a Flowmaster 70 series on my Frontier V6, which I liked, but the Borla on the Titan sounds much throatier. Of course, that has much to do with the Titan being a V8 vs. a V6.

Based in what you've told us, the Borla will probably be a good choice for you. And, it will be future proof for when you upgrade to headers from Cajun. Because we are all going to be talking to Cajun at one point or another. It's just a matter of when. I am lucky to live near him :-)
TheLaSwamp is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Registered User
 
Lee-the-Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Posts: 1,783
Thanks: 570
Thanked 573 Times in 399 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
Hey man, the "motor" has big power potential. I think if the intake was designed differently, not much could touch a vk56 na...pound for pound

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I totally agree, other than a 460 with granny, and the 8.1 vortec in my wife's suburban, I've never owned a V8 with so much sheer low end grunt...In other words, nothing within 100cui and even then only with 4.10s. If I do a swap, it will most likely be a vk56vd (Right letters?)..since There's no way I could fit a Cummins ISX in...lol

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!
Till it falls apart................Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/niss...king-totm.html


-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
Lee-the-Impaler is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Jump to top


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growl began 1 mo ago- ? cause. Machado7 Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain 9 02-14-2013 03:45 AM
Growl began 1 mo ago- ? cause. Machado7 Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain 0 02-10-2013 07:00 PM
Cheapest RAS? cmhynds Titan General Discussion 6 01-07-2013 02:31 PM
Cheapest Nismo cvorrias Titan Performance Modifications 8 10-24-2008 04:04 PM
gator growl cassio Florida Forum 13 10-31-2007 06:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On