Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

What's up fellas. I just want a little growl for my T.

I like the sound of this: https://youtu.be/3PP-HOO25GU

It says it's a "dynomax ultra flo muffler"..

Anyone know the part number or roughly what it would cost to get something like this installed?

I got a boss / wife who would freak if I went and got something super loud. This sound seems like a nice growl and pretty simple, no?

Thanks for any advice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2008 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CrewCab
DRLs // Carbon Fiber Vinyl // Interior LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:46 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

I don't have one, but I hear the JBA catback sounds good, just a little louder than stock, for under 400. If you are looking for a direct muffler swap and keep everything else, it trickier, especially with your 2008. The two in one out muffler market is limited for tame mufflers, imo, and you will probably get more bark than you bargained for....and worse, drone.

that dude in the youtube vid has an older model titan, where "stock pipes" is single in/out at the muffler. the newer style, like you have is dual in, single out so this muffler wont work as a simple swap...

there is always the cajun system...then you can use this muffler

"more LED`s, fake lifts, and how to change a dam headlight bulb is what this place is all about, wow!... hahahahaha"

~Pale Rider~

flowmaster attached with clamps and flex pipe for epic exhuast notes...right...

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 PM

Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Garage

Just hack off your pipes at the muffler, screw on a pair of 45 degree turndowns, and drive it like you stole it for a few days until the new MM catback system you will order arrives. After that a few days of nasty snarl and ripping noises, even the loudest and proudest Titan catback system will sound nice and tame to the wife.

Seriously, contact Cajun and tell them your desires, they'll set you up nice.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!
Till it falls apart................Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/niss...king-totm.html

-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-the-Impaler For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-17-2017)
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:53 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

My advice is get a Borla muffler. How much you looking to spend?

I got mine for $200, with professional installation.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheLaSwamp For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-17-2017)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Supporting Vendor
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,370 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 137 reviews

A set of Cajun bpipes will do it but if you go with a muffler swap i recommend JBA or Borla these will work with headers down the road when the manifolds crack and headers are installed...do your homework to save $$$$ down the road.

YOUR CRACKED MANIFOLD ONE STOP SHOP

-CUSTOM BPIPES
-JBA HEADERS
-JBA CATBACK
-AXLE VENT KITS
-2.5" CAJUN Y PIPES
-VIBRANT ULTRAQUIET RESONATORS
-CUSTOM TUNING "NO DYNO NEEDED"

http://www.cajunbpipes.com
UPREV INFO-CAJUNTUNING@GMAIL.COM
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
A set of Cajun bpipes will do it but if you go with a muffler swap i recommend JBA or Borla these will work with headers down the road when the manifolds crack and headers are installed...do your homework to save $$$$ down the road.
Jeff asked me to call him to point me in the right direction and I'm hoping to do that tomorrow..

Manifolds crack? I know nothing about mechanic stuff.. That sounds bad... Is that common on our T's? Mine is an 08 with 38,000 miles..

The Following User Says Thank You to kmccb23 For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-18-2017)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaSwamp View Post
My advice is get a Borla muffler. How much you looking to spend?

I got mine for $200, with professional installation.
I was hoping for $150 or under.. $200 isn't bad.. You have a sound clip? How loud is it and how bad is the drone?

Thanks!

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccb23 View Post
I was hoping for $150 or under.. $200 isn't bad.. You have a sound clip? How loud is it and how bad is the drone?

Thanks!
You need to search this forum, lots of threads on this topic...

If you go cheap cheap, you will have a truck that sounds like hot garbage...spend a little more and get something that will last longer than you'll probably own your truck...Jeff makes his parts with 409 ss...great great great...and it won't break the bank if you do your research beforehand. Jeff will fill you in on all the juicy details tomorrow if you ask the right questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"more LED`s, fake lifts, and how to change a dam headlight bulb is what this place is all about, wow!... hahahahaha"

~Pale Rider~

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
You need to search this forum, lots of threads on this topic...

If you go cheap cheap, you will have a truck that sounds like hot garbage...spend a little more and get something that will last longer than you'll probably own your truck...Jeff makes his parts with 409 ss...great great great...and it won't break the bank if you do your research beforehand. Jeff will fill you in on all the juicy details tomorrow if you ask the right questions.

Lol. "If I ask the right questions.." I feel like this is a test. One I will most likely fail. I'll give it a go tho!!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Lol. "If I ask the right questions.." I feel like this is a test. One I will most likely fail. I'll give it a go tho!!

Well, you have a lot to learn, but this is the resource for learning...Mostly lifts, led's and junk like that, but if you follow some serious motor heads like jaunty bishop and pale rider for recent threader and older posters who are no longer active like deerslayer and 05cc reading all the relate to historicals, you will learn a lot from tested titans past...and present.

Jeff is a good guy...he won't steer you wrong. He'll tell you more about your exhaust than you know...or thought you know.

~Pale Rider~

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Garage

Quote:
Well, you have a lot to learn, but this is the resource for learning...Mostly lifts, led's and junk like that, but if you follow some serious motor heads like jaunty bishop and pale rider for recent threader and older posters who are no longer active like deerslayer and 05cc reading all the relate to historicals, you will learn a lot from tested titans past...and present.

Jeff is a good guy...he won't steer you wrong. He'll tell you more about your exhaust than you know...or thought you know.

As an 'LED and junk" guy myself, I'll tell you straight, I watch the actual performance build threads closely, because when the day comes I have my warning strobes, armor, full floater rear, 9" or better front diff, eight lugs, 3.73 gears, Custom trac bars, Long travel front, Icons, and tow mirrors...The tranny goes the way of the dinosaur and the motor is getting serious steroids (or replaced). I have never seen the point of building massive power only to rip apart everything south of the shaft. Yeah, we're fly-by-night, dirt driveway hobbyist knuckle-busters...but a custom LED lower grille project, or painting our calipers scratches the mod-addict-itch while we do more important things, like gather $ for builds and teach ourselves to weld.

OP: Keep educating yourself, no knowledge is without merit, and there's more on TT about our trucks than you'll ever absorb. Nothing done right on a Titan comes cheap, in $ and/or in effort. I've done several mods that cost very little money, but took a lot of time. Unfortunately, apparently, they are worthless because they just look cool, and don't cause me to destroy expensive tires at every hammer-down start. If it interests you, go for it.. You'll be good at this stuff before you realize it.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-the-Impaler For This Useful Post:
nightowl (04-18-2017)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-the-Impaler View Post
As an 'LED and junk" guy myself, I'll tell you straight, I watch the actual performance build threads closely, because when the day comes I have my warning strobes, armor, full floater rear, 9" or better front diff, eight lugs, 3.73 gears, Custom trac bars, Long travel front, Icons, and tow mirrors...The tranny goes the way of the dinosaur and the motor is getting serious steroids (or replaced). I have never seen the point of building massive power only to rip apart everything south of the shaft. Yeah, we're fly-by-night, dirt driveway hobbyist knuckle-busters...but a custom LED lower grille project, or painting our calipers scratches the mod-addict-itch while we do more important things, like gather $ for builds and teach ourselves to weld.

OP: Keep educating yourself, no knowledge is without merit, and there's more on TT about our trucks than you'll ever absorb. Nothing done right on a Titan comes cheap, in $ and/or in effort. I've done several mods that cost very little money, but took a lot of time. Unfortunately, apparently, they are worthless because they just look cool, and don't cause me to destroy expensive tires at every hammer-down start. If it interests you, go for it.. You'll be good at this stuff before you realize it.
Hey man, the "motor" has big power potential. I think if the intake was designed differently, not much could touch a vk56 na...pound for pound

~Pale Rider~

The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:
Pale Rider (04-19-2017)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Supporting Vendor
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,877 Times in 2,370 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 137 reviews

Quote:
Jeff asked me to call him to point me in the right direction and I'm hoping to do that tomorrow..

Manifolds crack? I know nothing about mechanic stuff.. That sounds bad... Is that common on our T's? Mine is an 08 with 38,000 miles..
This is exactly why you should call me before you spend a dime. It will happen eventually.

YOUR CRACKED MANIFOLD ONE STOP SHOP

-CUSTOM BPIPES
-JBA HEADERS
-JBA CATBACK
-AXLE VENT KITS
-2.5" CAJUN Y PIPES
-VIBRANT ULTRAQUIET RESONATORS
-CUSTOM TUNING "NO DYNO NEEDED"

http://www.cajunbpipes.com
UPREV INFO-CAJUNTUNING@GMAIL.COM
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:11 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:

Thanks!
For that price installed, you're looking at a straight muffler swap.

The Borla install I have is common on this board, the Borla 40348. There are lots of sound clips floating around for the Titan and this muffler. It has a nice sound, but it's not obnoxious. I've taken my Titan out on the interstate at 70mph and there was no drone. You can hear the muffler, but it's not unpleasantly loud. I had a Flowmaster 70 series on my Frontier V6, which I liked, but the Borla on the Titan sounds much throatier. Of course, that has much to do with the Titan being a V8 vs. a V6.

Based in what you've told us, the Borla will probably be a good choice for you. And, it will be future proof for when you upgrade to headers from Cajun. Because we are all going to be talking to Cajun at one point or another. It's just a matter of when. I am lucky to live near him :-)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Garage

Quote:
Hey man, the "motor" has big power potential. I think if the intake was designed differently, not much could touch a vk56 na...pound for pound

I totally agree, other than a 460 with granny, and the 8.1 vortec in my wife's suburban, I've never owned a V8 with so much sheer low end grunt...In other words, nothing within 100cui and even then only with 4.10s. If I do a swap, it will most likely be a vk56vd (Right letters?)..since There's no way I could fit a Cummins ISX in...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top