Nissan Titan Forum banner

UpRev Tuning - ?

18K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Max_Jividen 
#1 ·
I had a local shop tune my truck on a Dyno claiming they could adjust timing, remove speed limiter, remove WOT restriction, etc etc etc... I know this is all possible with UpRev, was especially wanting to take advantage of any Cam Timing left on the table and gain any power everywhere possible. Long story short... They didn't touch the timing and stated they rarely have to change timing, they said they removed the limiter yet its still in place, I honestly can't tell about the WOT restriction feels the same as it did before. They wouldn't remove my rear O2 Check engine light due to headers/catless b-pipes... They kept telling me their files are held on Up-Rev's servers and they didn't have access to my license for my truck or the file after they tune...

2008 Nissan Titan XE - 2.94 Gears - 4x4
-Volant CAI
-Headers
-Catless B-Pipes
-2.5" Dual Exhaust
-2.5" Dual In/Out Super 40 Flowmaster Muffler
-TransGo HD2 Shift Kit
-Traction Bars
-UpRev "Not too happy with the tune"

I should be pushing around 330-RWHP, Dyno showed around 304.4 HP / 407'lbs of Torque

Anyway I'd love someone with more experience with tuning these trucks to help take a look or help tune. I just ordered the UpRev Tuner, I'll even pay for someone to use my license, laptop, etc to get this truck where it needs to be, even if I got to rent a Dyno for a day. I've done dropped $590 on a Dyno Tune which has yielded me feeling like there was a lot left untouched and they are so hard to deal with so I paid for the full Tuner $780. I'm located in Merritt Island, FL, Work in Orlando, FL.

My UpRev should be delivered Wednesday 4/26/2017

See less See more
#2 ·
You should just ping Seymore at Cajun b-Pipes.

#3 · (Edited)
Wow could have saved you a lot of money and headache if you'd gone through Cajun from the getgo.

They kept telling me their files are held on Up-Rev's servers and they didn't have access to my license for my truck or the file after they tune...
This is a straight up lie, the tuner creates the tune (rom file) on his computer while tuning and after that the ONLY person who has access to it is him.. the only thing saved on Uprev's server is the blank "master rom" that we use to start the tune.

On a side note if your tuner kit hasn't shipped from Uprev yet get ahold of them ASAP; if you were flashed and tuned on the dyno you already have a license and do not need the full tuner version.. just the tuner add on. That's a $300 savings.

#4 ·
That or contact RBstitan I think it is, Randy Baker you will read the name countless times in the forum. He's also on the Facebook page Titantalk. Guy is amazing with tuning these trucks

Reactions: nightowl
#5 ·
I try to tell the hard heads over on the Facebook pages to hit Joe or Randy up but NOOOOO!! I want a dyno tune.... These guys know how to tune a Titan!!! The newbies just believe everything they hear on social media pages and dont have a clue what has been tested tried and true and posted on this forum.... I had a shop owner the the other day inquire about the header package Cajun offers and when I told him Uprev was needed to keep the cats from premature failure he basically callled me a lier and said in his 30 years of wrenching he has never heard of a truck needing tuned post header installs. Hate to be that trucks owner!! Rant over...lol

#6 ·
I think Joe (seymore) mentioned that UpRev will no longer hide SES codes so at least part of what they said was slightly true.

#9 ·
I'd do what these guys above are saying. Dynos are a great tuning tool especially for doing cam phasing sweeps to get the most out of the 2007+ engines.

With that being said, the fastest titans have all been street tuned via Etuning.

The dyno will get you 90% there but the small revisions should be adjusted by datalogs from real world loads/situations on the street.

You can't really mimic ram air effects over front of the truck for cooling and especially air inlet feed.

The fans help yes, but a vehicle always responds differently when having to move it's 5500lb azz vs spinning rollers or dynamometers.

From hear on out id just get the aforementioned tuners to Etune your truck and only use that dyno for consistency if wanting to see what kind of power changes your mods make. They will charge you very little for a few pulls especially if they don't have to tune.

It's what I do and also bring your laptop along and run a datalog on the dyno if you want to see the correlation between street pulls and dyno pulls.

For example on the dyno I don't get any knock strength but on the street I will have some show up in certain areas.

So then I can go back and adjust fuel compensation, maf voltage or ignition timing if need be until it goes away.

Lastly, you are correct a healthy 2007+ cam phased titan engine with Airaid mxp, JBA headers, 2.5" catless B pipes and the 3" Cajun Y pipe kit with single exhaust using a borla or straight through muffler will put you around:

325-340rwhp/390-420rwtq. Dyno dependant. Try to find places with either a Dynojet or Dynapak those are the most common that people tend to compare and relate too.

Just make sure you manually shift from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd while gradually increasing speed and leave it in 3rd gear. When in 3rd and gradually running to 2800-3000rpm the operator will then go WOT.

Sometimes the titan will be a **** and downshift but that's fine that's what you want it to do on the street. However on the dyno it takes a few times to get it right.

Finally, before any dyno appointment if you're already tuned and it's safe, do multiple WOT runs to get the TCU and ECU in its learning state of your driving habits. It's more of an adaptive strategy within the ecu/TCM.

Beast mode if you will. Try it sometimes it will make the truck feel more responsive as it is adapted to wanting to go fast lol in a nutshell.

Other than that, ask the vendors for answers.

Read the forum archives and look at people who've modded their titans and ask them possibly.

That's all I got.

#12 · (Edited)
Your current tune is on your ECU. You will need the cable to extract it, but its most likely locked. Not to worry, run some datalogs the way your truck is currently set up and send to Seymore or RB's Titan. They can either work off that or start with a new basemap.

Read the UPREV Pdf user guide and tuning guide to get a head start on how it all works with Rom dump, datalogging, the different parameter selections to record, so on and so forth.

If you're 4x4, do a few 0-80mph datalogs launching in 4x4, this will allow you to hit WOT as early as possible in the RPM range and allow various real world loads in each gear.

If you're 2wd, its tricky to get accurate datalogs and hitting WOT under 3k rpm or so. Spinning is not a proper load to record.

The way I datalog if you are 2wd and have decent traction is find a straight road and put the truck in first gear while rolling and find what speed or rpm that you can hit the throttle and not spin.

I go to around 20mph in first and punch it, sometimes it will try to break loose and sometimes it just ****s and gets. This allows me to hit WOT atleast by 3k rpm and not spin.

This method I don't use the performance datalogging, i just go straight to the live view in cipher and go to the bottom and hit "start logging" this will record for many minutes. I've done 10 minute logs on accident while doing a few WoT runs and cruising then forgetting to hit stop.

I try to do atleast 2 WOT runs before datalogging to get the truck into ricky bobby mode, as well as putting some heat into the engine and transmission.

Here is a vid of mine showing you what I mean by doing a rolling datalog with uprev.

You can see it spins some near redline and catches then upshifts, hence the delay. Gotta get rid of this transgo kit and get an actual modified valvebody.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.