Big Power Increase - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Performance Modifications Install a new part and cant wait to tell us about it? Great! We'd love to hear about it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Big Power Increase

My truck has plenty of power, and I will out edge just about any truck in town, but last night I got beat by about a half truck length by a Rumble Bee Ram with an exhaust and intake......It could have just been me because I'm not used to the truck yet, but being an extended cab 4x4 vs a 2x4 single cab, I think I did alright. I would just like to get some more power where this wouldn't happen again. I know there isn't really a point in racing trucks, but its just fun now and then. Would an intake help enough or would I have to go more expensive like UpRev?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 AM

Thanked 1,191 Times in 870 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Re: Big Power Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd
My truck has plenty of power, and I will out edge just about any truck in town, but last night I got beat by about a half truck length by a Rumble Bee Ram with an exhaust and intake......It could have just been me because I'm not used to the truck yet, but being an extended cab 4x4 vs a 2x4 single cab, I think I did alright. I would just like to get some more power where this wouldn't happen again. I know there isn't really a point in racing trucks, but its just fun now and then. Would an intake help enough or would I have to go more expensive like UpRev?

The easiest gain would be to get the 2 degree timing advance. That will knock off about .10-.15 seconds through the 1/8 mile and get you that 1/2 truck length back.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, Airaid 4" MXP CAI, Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI. 1/8 mile 9.30@74.49 with a 2.11 60'.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 AM

An Intake and exhaust would even out the keel and probably put you head with only 1/2 truck length.

Now....I personally think I have found a pretty good combination with my modifications. The Titan loves back pressure with it's stock tune. Ah...and don't forget to find someone to advance the timing 2 degrees on the Titan!! Does wonders!

So there are two choices here. JBA EVOL Cat BAck or a Magnaflow Y-pipe back exhaust system. I personally have JBA.

There are many intakes on the market and they all run pretty close to the same performance. But one, in my opinion, is above them all. Injen has the ability to lean the truck out. Most modifications to the Titan cause the ECU to richen up the mixture of the truck. The Injen with it's velocity stack leans the truck out.

Mine hit 13 AFR on the dyno.

With just Exhaust and CAI I pulled a 14.73 at the track which is pretty good.

Now I'm a little more modded and a bit faster then that.

Also....a RC SB Hemi can get pretty darn fast. If you come up against one with Long Tube Headers...CAM....exhaust...CAI..and Superchips he's going to blow your doors off no matter what you've done to your truck. This set up is good for a low 13 second truck N/A.

2006 SE Crew Cab, Big Tow, Traction Package, SE Popular Package...mods....yup...and they seem to work well together! UpRev Osiris now installed!
RT .079
60' 1.848
1/8 8.792
MPH 77.458
1/4 13.896
MPH 95.996
Horsepower Sells Cars, Torque Wins Races!

Last edited by dawgs77; 04-15-2007 at 02:56 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Thanked 1,125 Times in 430 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Toomnymods Send a message via Yahoo to Toomnymods

i second what rossi i mean dawgs77 said if you plan to add some long tube headers get the stillens long tubes, get the jba exhaust, i would perferebly get the volant or aem cai but that's just me.. and definatly stay away from chambered mufflers you will actually be slower if you mess with those trust me i know i've wasted over 1,200 bucks on flowmaster and dna muffler dual setups ..

05' Blizzard White 4X2 KC SE SOLD
Performance mods: Toomany... click here for info:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685188

Videos are here: Http://www.youtube.com/user/Toomnymods?feature=mhum
12.3@109mph 7/9/10 HRP (New times coming soon!!)
93 Octane Map 523 RWHP / 573 TQ 1/31/13

New Ride: 2014 Sterling Gray Mustang Gt 3.73's, MT82 Trans, Forgestar CF5's /w Michelin PSS tires, JLT Carbon fiber CAI, Bama 93R Tune, Borla S Catback, DSS Alum driveshaft, BMR springs, LCA, UCA, UCA mount, Panhard, Panhard brace, LCA Relo brackets, Viking Dbl adj shocks, Strange Adj struts, GT500 USM's, MGW shifter

#5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 12,653 Times in 8,104 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I just bought a brand new KC 4X4, what is the biggest bang for the buck in performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomnymods
i second what rossi i mean dawgs77 said if you plan to add some long tube headers get the stillens long tubes, get the jba exhaust, i would perferebly get the volant or aem cai but that's just me.. and definatly stay away from chambered mufflers you will actually be slower if you mess with those trust me i know i've wasted over 1,200 bucks on flowmaster and dna muffler dual setups ..
#6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,213 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Go with the other stuffs first, intake, exhaust, maybe headers. Than you can go Up Rev to get it tuned for MAX power gains. Goodluck,

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
#7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Hell yeah you did alright against that Rumble Bee. Matter of fact, I'd Bee a little pissed if I was him (pardon the pun.. haha) since you are stock and he has intake and exhaust. I bet he thought he was going to blow your doors.

Like the wise ones above said, those Hemi's can be BEASTS if modded right. Lucky bastards have all kinds of aftermarket goodies.

Anywho... 2* advance will prob edge you out next time around. Add an exhaust (Banks or JBA Evol) and an intake (Injen, Volant or AEM) and you'll pull away from him for sure.

Uh.. yeah... racing trucks are fun, imo.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs77
An Intake and exhaust would even out the keel and probably put you head with only 1/2 truck length.

Now....I personally think I have found a pretty good combination with my modifications. The Titan loves back pressure with it's stock tune. Ah...and don't forget to find someone to advance the timing 2 degrees on the Titan!! Does wonders!

So there are two choices here. JBA EVOL Cat BAck or a Magnaflow Y-pipe back exhaust system. I personally have JBA.

There are many intakes on the market and they all run pretty close to the same performance. But one, in my opinion, is above them all. Injen has the ability to lean the truck out. Most modifications to the Titan cause the ECU to richen up the mixture of the truck. The Injen with it's velocity stack leans the truck out.

Mine hit 13 AFR on the dyno.

With just Exhaust and CAI I pulled a 14.73 at the track which is pretty good.

Now I'm a little more modded and a bit faster then that.

Also....a RC SB Hemi can get pretty darn fast. If you come up against one with Long Tube Headers...CAM....exhaust...CAI..and Superchips he's going to blow your doors off no matter what you've done to your truck. This set up is good for a low 13 second truck N/A.
i thought (not sure just thought) that 12:1 or 12.5:1 was better for power and 14.7:1 is just a good all-around fuel ratio... i do know some of the newer cars go into a lean mode when cruising and have about an 18:1 ratio just for cruising under light load....

Truck: 2007 Smoke KC SE 4WD OR/BT, pop. package w/buckets
Born: 11/2006
Mine: 11/30/2006

Click For Mods

Click For Exhaust and Other Videos

1/4 Mile Best: 14.6@92.03
1/8 Mile Best: 9.3@73.36
#9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Ohh yea it felt good, because I am big into engines and what's new with vehicles, and this kid was amazed that I stayed that close. I had the jump for a little while. About exhaust, I think I made a mistake when I first bought the truck. The third day I had it I went to a local shop and had a flow master 40 series (single in, dual out) put on with turndowns. It sounds alright, but I should have saved for Banks or the JBA.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Wink Re: Big Power Increase

I beleive I have seen it published that the perfect AF ratio for the Titan and alot other newer vehicles will be 12.8:1.

Alot of Titans run very rich with modifications. They seem to typically run between 10 and 12. 12 isn't bad but 10 is pretty darn rich.

Running a little rich isn't bad for the truck at all. I'm running slightly lean at 13:1. But I am really close to peak performance compared to most. My AF ratio was also before headers. I might be running a perfect AF ratio right now due to the fact that JBA headers have been shown to richen up our trucks.

My Titan is running in the 14.4 to 14.5 at the track. Without a tune...just a few mods. And on the lower HP/TQ rated 04-06 engine.

Mark my words....I will be sub 14 within the next two months!! N/A.....no tune....

2006 SE Crew Cab, Big Tow, Traction Package, SE Popular Package...mods....yup...and they seem to work well together! UpRev Osiris now installed!
RT .079
60' 1.848
1/8 8.792
MPH 77.458
1/4 13.896
MPH 95.996
Horsepower Sells Cars, Torque Wins Races!

Jump to top