Strange issue: truck shut off while driving - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Strange issue: truck shut off while driving

Hey guys,

I had an issue over the weekend with my truck and I was wondering if any of you guys had some insight on what might be going on. Yesterday morning I was up early at 6am to go hunting. I got in the truck and left home, and all seemed well. I had not driven the truck in a couple days prior to this. I stopped at a gas station to pick up my hunting buddy about 10 minutes away from my house. I shut off the truck while we loaded his gear into the truck for a couple minutes. I then started it back up and we headed out towards the woods. Not even 30 seconds later while accelerating onto the highway, my truck lost power and would not go above approx 1k RPM. At first I thought it was the tranny not shifting, but then I realised that even if I floored it, I was getting no power and the RPM stayed around 1k (limp mode?). About 20 seconds after this started my truck shut off completely as if you had just turned off the key, and some dash lights came on (key was in ON position with engine not running). The truck did not sputter or anything...it simply just shut off. I pulled over and got out...did a quick visual check around the truck and under the hood. Everything looked ok. I got back in and started it up. Everything worked perfectly. I drove intermittently all day stopping and starting with no problems, and this morning it worked again with no problems. I am still running my OEM BT battery, and my voltage guage shows slightly below half when the engine is not running, and slightly above half with the engine running. A couple weeks back after the truck sat for a week, my preset radio stations were erased from the memory of my stereo. I am thinking about changing my battery to an Optima yellow top before the winter, but is it possible that the battery may have caused this issue? I had a similar issue on my '03 powerstroke, and it turned out to be a bad wire to the battery. I have relatively few mods on the truck, and they are listed in my sig. I have approximately 75k miles on my truck. The only electrical modification to my truck is that I have the charger for my gps wired behind the dash into the power source for the stereo. I would like to get this issue resolved so I don't end up stranded in the middle of the woods after a hunting trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2005 Titan LE King Cab 4x4 Offroad Big Tow FFV.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

2012 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - Wife's ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 AM

Re: Strange issue: truck shut off while driving

Is this possibly the IPDM going bad?

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
The fluttering gauge thing has always been a battery/voltage issue that I've seen or read about. I'd think an IPDM issue would not be something as (relatively) minor as fluttering gauges.
I saw this in another thread. I didn't even think of this until now, but occasionally my guages flutter when the truck is not running. My battery terminals did not have an excessive amount of corrosion or anything. Should I clean them up and disconnect/reconnect anyway?

#4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM

something similar happened to my truck it would turn on fine for a while and then when i started driving it would go down in RPMs like yours; didnt shut off or anything but got close to it. After a while it would start funny and reset my mileage memory, so i got my battery checked and had a bad cell. Luckily my battery was still under i guess like a year warranty i only had to pay half and everything after that was fine.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Well, I had a credit at a local 4x4 shop, so I used it for a new Optima yellow top battery. Should be in early next week. I also had the stealership order me a new IPDM. It is on back-order and they said 1-6 weeks to come in! Damn stealers!!! I figure for $181, it is cheaper than a tow truck from out in the boonies where I live. Even if that isn't my problem, I will keep that in the glove compartment for if/when mine dies. But hopefully my IPDM will last until the part arrives...if not I printed off instructions for the relay swap to get me out of the woods. Keeping my fingers crossed that it won't come down to that.

#6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,788 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

My wife's Murano went into Limp Mode like that when an O2 Sensor went bad. I would think a battery starting to go bad might cause it. Personally, I'd read it for any codes.

2005 Armada LE 4x4
#7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM

I had my manifolds/cats replaced under warranty about 18k miles ago. I am going to get the to check for codes next time I have the truck in town, but I don't have an SES light at the moment, so you'd think an O2 sensor would have triggered the SES light. I was going to change the battery anyway...so that's the first step. If I threw some codes for anything other than IPDM I will have them cancel my order...but if no codes then I will probably keep the IPDM either way. I am also going to try the procedure to test IPDM by pressing the door light button when I get home...but since the problem is intermittent I'm not sure if that will tell me anything. Either way, with the amount of IPDM failures, $181 is relatively cheap insurance. I don't want to be stuck with no truck for 6 weeks while they wait on back-ordered parts.

#8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBhunter80 View Post
... but I don't have an SES light at the moment, so you'd think an O2 sensor would have triggered the SES light. ...
Yea, it did trigger the SES light on her car.

2005 Armada LE 4x4
#9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM

I had similar issue twice within 1 week. Last Thursday night while traveling truck shut completely down. I made it to the side of the highway, turned key off and tried to restart. I had a full normally functioning instrument panel, the truck would crank but not fire over. Had it towed to the nearest dealer. They found that the fuse for the ECM was blown. Once replaced, it started just fine and had no codes. They looked for open grounds and draws to see what caused fuse to blow as they thought it was odd. Dealership couldn't find anything. Drove the truck approximately 30 miles to final destination the next day. Vehicle sat parked at the races until Sunday afternoon. hooked up and pulled out to head home. Made it approximately 10 miles down the road when my "slip and abs" light came on. I thought it was odd but they have been known to flash on and disappear after a bit so I didn't pay much attention. Went about another 5 miles and proceeded up an on ramp to the highway; all of a sudden, my 4x4 light and brake light came on in addition too. I started to wonder; however truck was pulling like normal. went approximately another 15 miles or so then I experienced the no throttle as you did. Once again I found myself pulled over on the side of the highway. Shut truck off restarted no throttle above idle worst than limp mode. I checked every fuse and wire connection that I could see. Everything felt tight and no blown fuses. But then all my gauges started to go crazy, hazard ligt would only work if my wife kept pressing them on and off. mileage memory reset. The tow company loved me. Twice on 4 days: late night charge then a sunday charge. It is still a mystery as the vehicle is still at the dealership about 3.5 hours away.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:55 PM

When the IPDM dies you won't get codes, i guess they left that one out when they programmed the ECU. Anyhow it has been said that there is a relay for ignition that is actually going bad and the relay right next to it will work for a little while. after the first time my truck shut down it was another week or so before it did it again. I ordered one from Nissan and when it came in I drove down to get it and it shut off 5-6 times in the 20 mile drive. It is an easy change out, thats the only good thing.

2005 Titan KC SE ***Sold 9/6/14***
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
2013 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 CC short bed
5.3L LC9 engine
Heavy duty tow package/cooling
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------
#11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 02:05 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I carry these instructions in my iPod Touch, just in case....

New Upgraded Style IPDM is P/N 284B6-ZC00A Price $98-165.

To Switch IPDM Relays:

Look at Board, it has about 15 Fuses and 5 Relays are at top
10 Fuses are in Middle
4 Relays are at Bottom, where there is a Beveled Corner to the Board.
2nd Relay away from Beveled Corner is ECM Relay, and 4th Relay away from Beveled Corner is Fog Light Relay.
Switch those 2 Relays.

Thanks goes to baseballfanz!

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

MD Chapter Director
#12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Rob

Hey NBhunter80,

Where'd you get that optima? National?

there were 2 days last year that were so cold that the truck wouldn't start. One day was -40, and once I got the door open, it wouldn't close again!! I remember taking the owner's manual out of the glovebox, and it actually broke in half from the extreme cold. Pages went everywhere. Not looking forward to more days like that
#13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 AM

Just picked up my optima yellow top at National. I had to get boosted yesterday at the boat launch after having the doors open and music on for 30 minutes while we were loading up the boat to go fishing. I figured it's better to get that out of the way now before winter hits. I still haven't got the IPDM yet...damn Nissan and their parts back-order. No more IPDM issues as of yet (knock on wood).

#14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

i HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME, ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO, THE FLOATING THING IN THE GAS TANK GOT STUCK OR SOMTHING AND MY TRUCK WAS READING 1/2 A TANK AND I ENDED UP RUNNING OUT OF GAS. LOL

2006 Nissan Titan SE 4x4
ProComp 6" Lift, 20" American Racing Teflon Punishers, 35" Trail Grapplers,Volant CAI, 2xKicker Solarbarics, Sony X-Plode 1200 watt
#15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM

Yeah, the FSU is a common issue. I always fill up and reset my trip so I know exactly how many miles I have put since fillup. Several times my guage read 2/3 when I know I only had 1/4 tank left. That wasn't the issue for me, because as you can see in the OP, I was able to start right back up immediately and drive away. Plus I filled up less than 20 miles before this happened when I was on my way home the night before. My battery may have caused the issue in my OP. The battery died totally last weekend and I had to have it replaced. I also replaced the positive terminal with a higher quality one when I re-wired to fit the optima yellow-top. I now have a new IPDM waiting in my truck tool box to be installed in case the problem happens again. I will let you guys know if it turns out to be the IPDM, or if it was a battery issue. I'm hoping it was the battery going wonky...but I will keep the spare IPDM just in case.

Last edited by NBhunter80; 11-25-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top