Coolant Flush - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Flush

My dealership offer the coolant flush for $90. The service is usually $140. What are the benefits of flush over drain and fill? Is there any problems that can be caused by this service? I know the Transmission flush is not recommended. Has anyone let the dealership do this service. My truck just hit 70,000 miles and has never had the coolant changed. Thanks! James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 21,561 Times in 12,877 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Re: Coolant Flush

Coolant needs to be changed periodically as coolant has corrosion inhibitors, and silicates that keep the water pump lubed.
The cooling capacity of the fluid also degrades over time and use.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 PM

I am definitely having it changed, tomorrow actually. Mostly curious in the difference in drain and fill vs. flush. Thanks for the info!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Doing a coolant drain and fill will just drain what is in the radiator and radiator hoses, NOT what is still left in the block or coolers,
Flush completely removes all coolant from everywhere coolant travels which is why they flush with the engine on so that the thermostat opens.
transmission flushes and a great idear, just with our trucks taking matic J/S fluid it gets expensive at almolst 10 bones a qt, and we flush with 12 qts so do the math,
drain and filling the the trans is just whats in the pan, not the torque converter or the transmission lines...

Hope this helps...if not oh well

2006 Nissan Titan XE Granite
1985 Mustang SVo
#5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
transmission flushes and a great idear, just with our trucks taking matic J/S fluid it gets expensive at almolst 10 bones a qt, and we flush with 12 qts so do the math,
You aren't supposed to get our tranny flushed. Only drain and fill is reccommended. There are multiple posts on different Titan forums where members got a tranny flush and needed a new tranny shortly after.

2005 Titan LE King Cab 4x4 Offroad Big Tow FFV.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

2012 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - Wife's ride
#6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBhunter80 View Post
You aren't supposed to get our tranny flushed. Only drain and fill is reccommended. There are multiple posts on different Titan forums where members got a tranny flush and needed a new tranny shortly after.
I've never heard of that, can you provide a link to some of those stories? Dealers here use fluid exchange machines that remove all fluid and fill with new.

As for the coolant, get it flushed, most places use the Wynn or BG service to do this. I also suggest adding some Purple Ice from Royal Purple, or the Amsoil coolant additive, it will help keep those seals in good shape.

2005 CC SE 2*, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow exhaust. JBA Long Tubes, Cajun 2.25 B pipes, TAP Y pipe, Uprev
#7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 AM

So, I had a trany flush done at dealer & now my trany is acting strange.... - Nissan Titan Forum: Club Titan Forums

Here's one from CT. There's also a link in that post to a Nissan bulletin where they tell the mechanics not to flush the tranny.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

#8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 AM

I would not Hesitate at all to flush the transmission fluid on my truck, what would we t he same fluid that cycles through your tranny hurt anything...?
have you checked your fluid color before and after and drain and fill...its still dirty...

2006 Nissan Titan XE Granite
1985 Mustang SVo
#9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Yes it is still "dirty" after the drain and fill, but that has nothing to do with the lubricating properties of the fluid. The old fluid loses its lubricating properties, and that's why you change it out...not because it's dirty. The reason you don't flush is because when you loosen up that dirt in the flush, some of it gets trapped in the valve body and causes problems. It's best to just let the deposits stay where they ended up in the first place rather than stirring it up and letting the stuff get lodged where it should not be.

#10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 AM

how often are you guys changing the fluid ?
#11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM

I did get the coolant flush. My dealer only does the spill and fill on the transmission. Something about a TSB announcement? I also changed my transfer case fluid, and the diffs. I should be good to go for a while. My T just hit 70,000 miles, so i decided to jump on some much needed maintenance.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,633 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelwhore View Post
how often are you guys changing the fluid ?
It depends. The Nissan/Titan maintenance schedule 1 & 2 doesn't mention the transmission at all. But if you read the entire book it will say the following:
Transmission Fluid/Oil, Differential Oil, Transfer Case Oil
If towing a trailer, using a camper or car–top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, replace the fluid/oil every 30,000 miles or 24 months.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:58 AM

Yeah...the transfer case is the most neglected of all. My fluid looked NASTY at only 55k miles last time I changed it. I did the complete tranny/both difs/transfer case at 55k, and I just did my rear dif fluid again at 76k. In the spring I am going to get my transfer case, tranny, and front dif done again, along with my coolant. I don't think my coolant has been done yet, so I'm probably overdue. Anyway... don't neglect your transfer case guys!

*edit* booked an appointment to flush my coolant next thursday at the stealership

Last edited by NBhunter80; 02-26-2010 at 07:43 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoNate View Post
I would not Hesitate at all to flush the transmission fluid on my truck, what would we t he same fluid that cycles through your tranny hurt anything...?
have you checked your fluid color before and after and drain and fill...its still dirty...
Doing a flush uses external equipment to pressurize and move the fluid through the trans, this can blow seals, dislodge crap, force particulates where it doesn't belong, but just as bad there are flushing systems like BG that use a solvent to "clean" the system before pumping new fluid in, this solvent leaves a residue that's not compatible with our trans and it'll kill it.

That is the primary reasoning behind the Nissan notice to dealers regarding flushing the trans.

The proper way to replace the ATF is by doing a fluid transfer. This allows the transmission itself to pump the fluid and you're not introducing any contaminants or other fluids that are potentially harmful. Old fluid goes out one trans cooler line while new fluid is sucked in the other line, let it run until you get nice, clean red fluid coming out and you're done.

The new pup: 2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab SLT 4x4 SRW, Inferno Red
The old dog: 2005 Titan SE CC BT 4x4 - Magnaflow 24" w/ 3" Y-back single pipe, Bully Dog GT, RAS, SnugTop Sport shell, 5000k HIDs - SOLD!
The tail: 2010 Keystone Hideout 31BHS - Reese SC hitch, Prodigy brake controller
The old fish: 1984 Scarab 21SS - Marine Power 454 - SOLD
The new fish: 1998 Seaswirl 170 BR I/O
#15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
Doing a flush uses external equipment to pressurize and move the fluid through the trans, this can blow seals, dislodge crap, force particulates where it doesn't belong, but just as bad there are flushing systems like BG that use a solvent to "clean" the system before pumping new fluid in, this solvent leaves a residue that's not compatible with our trans and it'll kill it.
I respectfully disagree about the BG. It does not use independent pressure to flush the trans.

There are so many misconceptions about this issue. I had a BG transmission service performed at 35k and have had zero problems. I am now at 85k and the fluid is still in good shape. I know others who have used Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1 ATF in a BG or Wynn machine to exchange all the fluid and none have had problems...actually improvements over the matic j.

Like I have posted before, there are tons of Nissan dealers that use the BG system for fluid exchanges.

Here's a list

BG Findashop

Our transmissions are not that fragile.

2005 CC SE 2*, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow exhaust. JBA Long Tubes, Cajun 2.25 B pipes, TAP Y pipe, Uprev

Jump to top