Transfer case leaking (pics) - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transfer case leaking (pics)

I took my 04 SE Crew Cab in because there was some oil showing up on the back of the transfer case. The truck has 90K miles and is out of warranty.

The dealer service department description says, "Leak coming from actuator and seal, actuator and seal not sold separately, replace transfer case. $2411.00"

It is hard to tell where the leak is coming from. I am tempted to just not worry about it -- it is apparently a slow leak. It still shifts into 4 wheel drive fine. I will just top it off with ATF once a month or so. Or, quite the price difference, I can pick up a good used transfer case for 350.00 with only 50K miles on it.

Really I am just curious to see if anyone else has had this problem. It is my first real problem with the truck. I have never had any front or rear diff problems, pinion seals, engine or transmission problems. The truck runs great for the most part and makes no strange noises. I do park it every day on a slight incline, but it is hard for me to imagine that it would have that much affect on that actuator unless the T-Case was overfilled from the factory?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04874.JPG
Views:	1174
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	103659   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04870.JPG
Views:	994
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	103660   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04872.JPG
Views:	1324
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	103661  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Re: Transfer case leaking (pics)

There is an o-ring behind the Transfer Control Device (actuator) that may have failed and you can replace it for under $5. The dealer wants top dollar for the repair, don't believe that an o-ring isn't sold separately. There is nothing wrong with the Transfer Control Device (actuator) as you stated it shifts normally.

i've seen leaks at the case mating, companion flange and rear oil seal. Nothing unusual.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer.jpg
Views:	5968
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	103670  
#3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 717 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Ah man it is nice too see another person with a similiar problem. Today I was leaving to go back into work and I noticed a wet stain underneath the truck. I haven't really been in the truck the past few days, I've mainly been on the bike. So I get under and sniff the residue and its definitely red oil, and so I panic thinking my tranny is messing up but I really didn't have time to really analyze until now. I got underneath the truck again and it looks to be coming from my transfer case and not the transmission. So I just got back inside from driving the truck back and forth up the driveway and activating my 4x4 and engaging HI and LO, but I hear no grinding or noises it just does what its always done, and its a very very slow leak. Mines an 04 with 90k on the dial and this is my first real issue, no axle leaks or anything... nothing has ever gone wrong. I also park my truck on a slightly inclined driveway and it has been sitting for 2-3 days in one spot so I dunno if maybe that has something to do with it but I will definitely be keeping a close eye on this because I'll be pissed if my 4x4 goes out. LOL

2004 4x4 KC SE: BEDLINER EDITION
6'' Fabtech, 2'' PRG spacer, 3" BL, 37/13.50/17 Toyo MT Open Country, Bilsteins on all four on middle perch, +08 4x4 Coils, RC UCAs, JBA LT Headers, Cajun 2.5" Catless B-pipes, 3"in/3"out Borla XR-1 muffler, 2.5"in/3"out Magnaflow Y-Pipe, Airaid MXP 4" CAI, custom pre-runner bumper, 4 7" Kragen HiD lights, 8k 35w HiD lows, Koyo Radiator, Headlight mod, center console shifter swap and much more...

What's Next: Uprev, Traction bars and Trutrac...
#4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 AM

I just noticed the same thing with mine yesterday... Most be the time of year haha... My leak isnt slow, I work 12 hours and park on a cement wharf and today there was probably a 2 foot square wet patch under the truck.. the 4wd still engages and disengages fine so it seems like it must just be a seal if everything still works alright... My main question is can I still drive it if I dont put it in 4wd or will that still burn it up? and just so I'm not confused the transfer case is the bow that the tranny goes in and the 2 driveshafts come out of, right?

2012 Pro4x CC
#5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
I just noticed the same thing with mine yesterday... Most be the time of year haha... My leak isnt slow, I work 12 hours and park on a cement wharf and today there was probably a 2 foot square wet patch under the truck.. the 4wd still engages and disengages fine so it seems like it must just be a seal if everything still works alright... My main question is can I still drive it if I dont put it in 4wd or will that still burn it up? and just so I'm not confused the transfer case is the bow that the tranny goes in and the 2 driveshafts come out of, right?
The transfer case doesn't hold a lot of fluid so it will not take to long to burn it up if you let a big leak continue for very long and Yes what your looking at is the T-case.

08 Pro-4x moonroof,Tow,DVD,SWB,BullyDog Pup,Banks Monster Exahust, Brute Force intake, Total Chaos UCA's,Tuff Country 1.5" leveling kit,1" rear blocks, PWM, Radiator ByPass Mod,Bilstein 5100's,Limo Tint,325/65R18 Goodyear Duratracs,Black 18x9 5.71", +18mm, Rims,

#6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM

So it's definitely the T-case... Its leaking where the front drive shaft goes in... Hopefully I can get it to someone tomorrow and get a seal replaced? I shouldnt need to get a new one should I?

2012 Pro4x CC
#7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Hahaha woah thats weird man... yeah mines a VERY slow leak, in the course of 3 days of the truck sitting in one spot the stain is maybe a foot-foot in a half in diameter. Mine seems like its just a seal too though, no grinding noises nothing seems to be outta place, I've also read that the 04's are apparently notorious for the bolts coming loose on the T-case, so this weekend I'll be checking that and pin pointing the exact spot of the leak. Its gonna be a fun weekend...

6'' Fabtech, 2'' PRG spacer, 3" BL, 37/13.50/17 Toyo MT Open Country, Bilsteins on all four on middle perch, +08 4x4 Coils, RC UCAs, JBA LT Headers, Cajun 2.5" Catless B-pipes, 3"in/3"out Borla XR-1 muffler, 2.5"in/3"out Magnaflow Y-Pipe, Airaid MXP 4" CAI, custom pre-runner bumper, 4 7" Kragen HiD lights, 8k 35w HiD lows, Koyo Radiator, Headlight mod, center console shifter swap and much more...

#8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
So it's definitely the T-case... Its leaking where the front drive shaft goes in... Hopefully I can get it to someone tomorrow and get a seal replaced? I shouldnt need to get a new one should I?
Hahaha.. I just took a closer look at your mods sections... really weird now.. both are 04s, body lift... I'm looking at a K&N CAI very soon, both KCs, both are 4x4... lmao. And we are both unfortunate to have a leaking T-case... I guess that means one thing... we BOTH know how to have FUN in our trucks!

#9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Haha, nice! get rid of that leveling kit and go with some SAW's!

2012 Pro4x CC
#10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM

ok guys I had a leaking tcase a few times on my T and all it was was a loose bolt or the seals...

for some reason on the older 4x4 titan the bolts from the transfer case come loose very easily... so check them all....

I used to have a leaking seal at least every 3-5 months with my PC 6" lift, now after I install PRG driveshaft spacer the problem got solve and is been over a yr now I think an the issue never came back.... (knocks on wood)

2006 4x4 Nissan Titan Texas Edition
ProComp 6" Stg1, 35x12.5x17 BFGMudterrains, 17x8.5 MBWheel, AEM Intake, Helix TBS, Thrush Glasspack, HIDextra lights, OFFROAD READY traction bars, Bushwacker Flares, BDGT, Armorlid Bed Cover
www.discounttiredirect.com
#11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 06:36 PM

You should upload a pic of where the leaky bolt is. If you don't mind.
Thanks

2012 Pro4x CC
#12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM

This happened a while back the dealer fix it for me and the last time it happened they re-torque all my bolts and add it some loc-lite (sp) so it wont happen again...

Let me see if I can find my thread with the pict I took when it happened

2006 4x4 Nissan Titan Texas Edition
ProComp 6" Stg1, 35x12.5x17 BFGMudterrains, 17x8.5 MBWheel, AEM Intake, Helix TBS, Thrush Glasspack, HIDextra lights, OFFROAD READY traction bars, Bushwacker Flares, BDGT, Armorlid Bed Cover
www.discounttiredirect.com
#13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Anybody know what bolts to tighten?
#14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Just had the loose bolt problem on mine. There are three 12mm bolts on the backside of the transfer case that loosen up. One on the top and one more on each side. I was missing one bolt and the other two were loose. Not sure how long it's been like that but there wasn't very much fluid left in the case when I drained it.
#15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM

I just had same issue...bolts lose around transfer case & thus leaking fluid. Had the garage retorque all the bolts. Hopefully this wont be a reoccuring problem. 05 CC with 62k on it.

New T is 2010 LE crew cab - no mods yet other than window tint & tonneau cover.

Old T Sold 5/24/12 - 2005 SE Off Road pkg, crew with PRG mini lift (2" front, 1" back), 295/70-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM-RF10, Fuel Off Road Boost 17x9, 1 offset, bilsteins on all 4 corners & front windows tinted to match rear.

Jump to top