AC blower quit working. - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
AC blower quit working.

Last week I turned on my ac and the blower didn't blow, I turned it off and back on immediately and it worked fine. This happened again yesterday however it has quit working permanently. Some forums on here suggest it might be the VBC or resistor but I've been told if that was my problem then my blower would still work in the "high" position. Is that correct? It does NOT work in high either. When I turn the nob on and off I can hear a click from under the glove box. Is it possible this is a problem with the relay, or does it sound like a bad blower motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Re: AC blower quit working.

06 Titan by the way.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,952 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You can pull the blower motor or even just the plug and put power and ground to it.
If it work than it's something else.

Even check the relay and fuse

Last edited by baseballfanz; 07-18-2010 at 03:16 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:13 PM

fuse is good, where is the relay?
#5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 PM

More than likely though it's the VBC.
your blower could not be running at all with a bad VBC
before you spend money on anything, run a new ground wire to the blower motor and test for power at the positive wire

Last edited by baseballfanz; 07-18-2010 at 08:08 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 AM

I'm having the same problem, but when mine quit working, it just stopped all-together. I went to a salvage yard yesterday and spent $81 on a new blower motor and VBC. After I installed these, I was hoping for the best, but when I tried running the AC nothing happened. Any help?
#7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEZB0 View Post
I'm having the same problem, but when mine quit working, it just stopped all-together. I went to a salvage yard yesterday and spent $81 on a new blower motor and VBC. After I installed these, I was hoping for the best, but when I tried running the AC nothing happened. Any help?
Have you checked all the fuses?
You might need a new ac control unit.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 PM

theres some kind of module under the glove box. the same thing happened on my 05> i changed it for 45 dollars or so and it worked fine. i cant remember what its called but its right under the glove box and its held in by 2 bolts
#9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller07 View Post
theres some kind of module under the glove box. the same thing happened on my 05> i changed it for 45 dollars or so and it worked fine. i cant remember what its called but its right under the glove box and its held in by 2 bolts
Yeah that's the VBC (variable blower control). He stated he changed that out along with a new blower motor
#10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:06 PM

U were right baseball, it was the VBC. 60 dollar part, took 10 minutes to replace, 2 bolts. Thanks guys. I'm glad it wasn't the blower, that looked like major surgery to replace.
#11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 4,016 Times in 2,240 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to beason Send a message via MSN to beason Send a message via Yahoo to beason

the thing with the VBC is its a resistor. it takes the varying voltage output from the knob, and varies the voltage to the blower motor accordingly. normally when it goes out the variable part is what goes, and it will still blow full blast because this setting bypasses the variable part of it. although i have had issues with the compressor not turning on if the vbc is bad. sometimes however it totally goes bad and the blower will not work at all. this sounds like your case.

replacing the blower isnt hard at all. I had to take mine out to clean out some leaves that got down in there the last time i changed my filters. 1 screw that holds a wire in place, 3 bolts that holds the blower, and unplug the harness. the hardest part is standing on your head in the floorboard getting to everything.

Ever growing mod list here

WhinyWhore™
#12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 4,016 Times in 2,240 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to beason Send a message via MSN to beason Send a message via Yahoo to beason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEZB0 View Post
you can check the system pretty easily. unplug the VBC harness and there should be 2 small and 2 large wires. the 2 small are "signal" and the 2 large are power to the blower. use a volt meter to see if there is voltage across the 2 small wires. there should be none with it off, and as you turn up the fan speed the voltage should increase. it will be minor voltage so set your meter accordingly. i think it maxes at like 2v or something.

if you are not getting any voltage on any setting, your control unit is bad. if you are, you may have gotten a bad junk yard part.

you can test the blower to, just apply 12v to the terminals. just watch your fingers when it spins up!

Ever growing mod list here

WhinyWhore™
#13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 AM

Ya, like I was saying, I replaced the blower motor and the VBC. I also checked the voltage and it had 5v running to it. But I'm pretty sure its the Relay. The relay is underneath the glovebox too. I just unhooked my glovebox, folded it down, and listened for the "click" while someone turned the fan knob on and off. I haven't got the part in yet, but if you think this is your problem, you might want to look somewhere other than a dealership for the part. Because this little 1-2" tiny black part will cost you $70 bucks from a dealership. :/ I'll update tomorrow when the salvage yard is open and I replace it.
#14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM

AND.....................Come to find out, the scrapyard relay didnt work either. Then we found a control panel from an 07 and tried it, no luck. Then we found a blown fuse in the fuse compartment right beside the glovebox. The label said rear blower relay or something, replaced it, and no luck. I'm just gonna take it in on Wednesday and watch someone work on it. Hopefully I'll have a positive update for you guys. I'm tired of cruisin around sweating...
#15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 PM

So one guy figured out something in the blower system wasn't grounding, but he didnt have the schematics for it, so he referred me to another shop. When I got there I told them everything I had tried, said it was a grounding problem, and dropped it off for them to work on. 2 hours later he called and said they figured out it was the computer chip/control head right behind the 3 round controls on your dash. They charged me $140 for 2 hours, and told me the part would be about $280. I'm trying to find it at a salvage yard or somewhere cheaper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top