IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution. - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 373 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brianguy
Re: IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution.

Sorry I wish I asked questions when they fixed mine. I went to the Irvine dealership (back in 09), maybe give them a call?

2008 CC XE
Volant CAI, Bully Dog PP, Bilstein 5100, PRG shackles, Stillen radiator, Hellwig sway bar, Hankook ATM
Wallet status = depleted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hi I am Rags.
New to the site, but love the information. I have a 2004 and seem to be having the same problems as described above. All lights work when you turn the key on but nothing at all when you turn the key to start. before it stopped starting it began to buck and jump a little the mph and rpm gauge stopped working it acted like it was going to die. I made it to football practice, then it would not start after killing it. I changed out the relays with window defroser relay and fog lamp relay. No go. I noticed the horn no longer sounds when I lock it and the panic alarm on the key fob does not work. How do I know if it is the board or the imobilization system? Please no way to get to where I need to be. Thanks.
post #18 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Very simple job thought I would share my experience. Great thread Fanz

Tools needed:

1/8” flathead screwdriver
3/16” flathead screwdriver

1-Return your truck back to stock tune if you have a tune.

Remove both battery cables.

This is where the IPDM is located. Big black box nearest the firewall.

Push in mounting tabs on the IPDM this will allow it to slide up in its mounting track and allow for eventual removal. You can see the tabs at the top left and right in this picture.

Most of the wire harness plugs needed the smaller screwdriver but some I used the bigger one. If the plug does not come out easily then you have not pushed the retaining clip in far enough. There are 6 plugs to unplug and they are all different shapes/sizes so it makes it easy..

My new IPDM was missing one fuse. I didn’t look what it was for but just swapped it out from the old one.

Put the battery cables back on, took a big sip of Capn, crossed my fingers, and turned the key. Fired right up. 15 minute job but I would not want to do this on a hot day on the side of the road. Oh, my IPDM wasnt bad but wanted to do it anyway. Now I have a spare under my back seat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krh2 For This Useful Post:
baseballfanz (10-13-2010), nascarjody (10-14-2010)
post #19 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:05 AM

how's it going out there titan owners. i had a thread a little bit ago about fuel problems. i figured that little problem out but i am still getting a rough idle, a flashing SES light and it is almost as if its only running on 4 or 5 cylinders. shifts are slow now but i get a snappy fuel response off the line. the glass pack i have on the truck is spitting out the fiberglass now so i know somethings not right there. this all started when i replaced my after market fuel pump. i adjusted my Mallory fuel regulator to run at the normal 55 psi at idle and about 51 to 55 psi when under a load (example Drive, Reverse, Neutral ect. We did remove the trailer tow that Nissan had on the truck to clean it up and have less wires running around the truck. I'm thinking that was not a very smart move on our part and contemplating putting it back and hiding it in the frame so its out of our way and keep that clean look still. if anyone got any hint, tips, tricks. We would love to hear them. Thanks Guys
post #20 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM

I thought I had an ECU relay problem, I had just cleaned up the gunk on the positive terminal assembly with baking soda and replaced my battery. I re-attached the battery terminals and heard some clicking in the dash and immediately drained the new battery. I disconnected the battery and put a battery tender on and recharged it, but I also did an ohms reading from Positive cable to negative cable and I have a short. Unless my thinking is wrong, I shouldn't have a short from the hot terminal to the ground terminal. Can someone confirm?
post #21 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 AM

Wink Re: IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution.

I was made aware today of a recall sent out yesterday...
this is what i found: its about thr relay in the ipdm unit

NEWS: Nissan announces recall of 747,000 trucks, SUVs in U.S.

YAHOO NEWS -- October 28, 2010 – Nissan North America announced a recall on Thursday of 747,000 trucks and SUVs in the U.S. because of the risk of failure to the electrical systems.

Nissan said the recall extends to Nissan Armadas and Titans from 2004 to 2006, Infiniti QX56s from 2005 and 2006, as well as Nissan Frontiers, Pathfinders and Xterras from August 2003 and June 2006.

The company said that it needs to replace the electrical relays in the engine control modules -- the computers that control engine performance and other essential components of motor vehicles.

The Japanese automaker said the problem may cause the engine to stall. In extreme cases, a stalled engine cannot be restarted.

"Silicon vapor may form inside the electrical relay that supplies voltage to the engine control module," said the company. "Over time, this vapor could create oxidation on the electrical contacts in the relay that may lead to engine performance issues, including the possibility of stalling at low engine speeds."

No related injuries or accidents have been reported, Nissan said.

In addition to the U.S. recall, Nissan North America said the recall extends to 23,000 of these vehicles in Canada.

World-wide, the company is recalling 2.2 million of these vehicles with similar potential for failure.

In Japan
The Following User Says Thank You to titanup77 For This Useful Post:
amark303 (09-21-2011)
post #22 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 AM

So, having this failure has lead to gas being dumped into and ruining the cats. Since Nissan is finally owning up to the IPDM issue, will it be their responsibility to cover the costs of replacing my cats or are they likely to deny any association? I'd rather them reimburse my expenses so far for the relay fix and have them pay for my exhaust work from elsewhere as it would be less $ for Nissan and better parts for me!

MODS:
20 % window tint
Injen CAI
JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorties
2 1/2" exhaust with Stainless 2X5 rectangular tips
Magnaflow Hi-flow Cats and Y pipe
Borla Pro XS muffler single-in dual 2 1/2" out
TB bypass
Bilstein 5100's
Jumper mod
10" JL audio sub
Custom painted wheels
Black rear bumper
Full HID kit including fogs
post #23 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 8,927 Times in 5,414 Posts
iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolest dad View Post
So, having this failure has lead to gas being dumped into and ruining the cats. Since Nissan is finally owning up to the IPDM issue, will it be their responsibility to cover the costs of replacing my cats or are they likely to deny any association? I'd rather them reimburse my expenses so far for the relay fix and have them pay for my exhaust work from elsewhere as it would be less $ for Nissan and better parts for me!
Where did you get, "gas being dumped into the cats" ???

AKA TrollopInTraining™ AKA chinawhore™
2005 BT CC LE

200,000 Miles 4/27/2015
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #24 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM

There was another post here with same issue stating the gas was dumped,also independent mechanic concurred the same. That would suck!

MODS:
20 % window tint
Injen CAI
TB bypass
Bilstein 5100's
Jumper mod
10" JL audio sub
Custom painted wheels
Black rear bumper
post #25 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolest dad View Post
There was another post here with same issue stating the gas was dumped,also independent mechanic concurred the same. That would suck!
So by shutting off the fuel pump (IPDM relay going out). You think that gas is being dumped into the cats ... seems to me that it would starve for gas?

2005 BT CC LE

200,000 Miles 4/27/2015
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

post #26 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,884 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

There is a separate relay for the fuel pump. Are you sure that ECM relay failure cuts fuel?

post #27 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestatchess View Post
There is a separate relay for the fuel pump. Are you sure that ECM relay failure cuts fuel?
This is what I was told by a service tech (but what do they know anyway)

2005 BT CC LE

200,000 Miles 4/27/2015
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

post #28 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Catalyst efficiency threshold is the defined code being given on both banks. I had fuel in the exhaust pipes at the back of the truck, so it would seem that ,yes, there was gas being pumped through the engine but not being burned. Could it be that the O2 sensors just need cleaned?? Code comes back within 30 miles after being cleared. Dealer insists that I bring it to them(Yeah, more $ for them!!) to double check that it is not something else.

MODS:
20 % window tint
Injen CAI
TB bypass
Bilstein 5100's
Jumper mod
10" JL audio sub
Custom painted wheels
Black rear bumper
post #29 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Putting my hand up ...

Are you saying that your truck pumped enough gas (unburned) to come out the back of your tail pipe wet? Sounds like a trip to taco bell

2005 BT CC LE

200,000 Miles 4/27/2015
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

post #30 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 08:30 AM

just back from dealer with $89 less in my pocket. They confirmed what was posted earlier: both cats failed most likely due ti relay failure. $1800 to repair. Waiting for paperwork from Nissan about what they will do since this is a result of the IPDM relay failure being recalled. Nissan did say last week on the phone that the paperwork should be in our mail by Dec 6th.

MODS:
20 % window tint
Injen CAI
TB bypass
Bilstein 5100's
Jumper mod
10" JL audio sub
Custom painted wheels
Black rear bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top