IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution. - Page 25 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #361 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:05 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution.

Is this an intermittent problem or is your truck down hard? Are you using a scanner capable of checking communication between the different control modules (computers)?

I had an intermittent "Crank, No-Start" problem that took months to figure out. If it's down hard that should make it easier for troubleshoot. Using one of those capable scanners is important though since any breakdown in communication between any control module can keep the truck from starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoracing View Post
Ok after reading 24 pages of problems of the famous no start my eyes are killing me Here is my problem

2005 Nissan Titan 4x4 Crew Cab with towing package

Started off Thursday evening myself and a pretty reputable mechanic changed front pads and rotors on my truck drove the truck next day it run fine. Came home and parked the truck to come out the next morning to a truck that would Crank but would not start. Acting like no fire or fuel, towed it to the shop here is what all we have replaced.

Fuel pump has been replaced ( plugged the fuel pump into the harness to make sure it would come on prior to installing and it did ) Installed the pump in the tank hooked the battery back up pump came on the 2 seconds and shut off. Truck tried to fire once After that the pump will not come on at all here is a list of what has been done

New Fuel pump
Run the Ipdm test and not one but (2) modules pass the test (horn, wipers,fan, fog lights,headligts etc Not only 2 modules but 4 relays also
Crank Sensor New
( spray with staring fluid it will fire) Pump is not running
(3) different Keys tried
Anti Theft light blinks as normal

Something has the fuel pump shut down and will not allow it to run. Could this be the ECM ( Engine Computer )
Is there a way to test or reset the Anti Theft System

Thank you in advance

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevkno View Post
Is this an intermittent problem or is your truck down hard? Are you using a scanner capable of checking communication between the different control modules (computers)?

I had an intermittent "Crank, No-Start" problem that took months to figure out. If it's down hard that should make it easier for troubleshoot. Using one of those capable scanners is important though since any breakdown in communication between any control module can keep the truck from starting.

The truck is Completely dead. As for the scanner I am trying to find someone that has one capable of looking at the communications between the ECM, IPDM however it works. Drove it home one night got in it to go the next morning to nothing but cranking with no start.
post #363 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM

UPDATE !!!!! Truck will now Fire up then Die off. Runs about 2 seconds then it will shut back down. In the mean time it did throw a few codes. P0123 P0223 and P1121 This truck will be the will cause me to pull what little hair I do have left out!!! I never thought it would be so hard to find someone to come put an actual scanner on this truck when you are willing to pay!!!! I just love it!!!!!
post #364 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 8,944 Times in 5,426 Posts
iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Did you swap your fog light relay with the IPDM relay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AKA TrollopInTraining™ AKA chinawhore™
2005 BT CC LE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

200,000 Miles 4/27/2015
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #365 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 PM

Tried 2 different ipdm modules placed new relays in both . Now the truck will crank and shut off throwing a P0123 and P0223 codes only acting like it has flooded..
post #366 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 06:42 PM

Thank you for all of the suggestions on fixing the Titan It is back up and running however it was a nightmare!!! Final solution

Not 1 but 2 bad Delphi fuel pumps from Advance auto parts. The pumps would actually come on and run however they would not pump anything at all. They were garbage. The man at the parts store argued with me saying that there was no way 2 of them were bad. I had to show him a video of the Napa Fuel pump running and pumping fuel before he would admit he was wrong. That got the truck up and at least trying to run. Truck would crank and stumble like it was flooded. Long story short after 3 scanners were hooked to it none of the master techs was able to figure it out. It threw a P0123 and a p0223 code pointing at the Throttle body. Put a new Throttle body on it and the codes were still there. For some reason the codes were not being cleared from the computer it developed a memory of the codes but yet it would turn the Check engine light off when they were cleared. For kicks and giggles I disconnected both cables and held them together for about 10 mins hooked them back up and what do you know. The titan came back to life running like a dream IT fired right up

Original fuel pump died! Then after 2 Bad pumps and a computer holding a memory of 2 codes caused this truck no to start and run

Thanks again
post #367 of 373 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 08:39 PM

Should always be removing the negative battery cable when preforming jobs that you are unhooking and plugging connectors back together. May have took care of your memory code problems.
At any rate glad to hear you got it running and sorry to hear of your troubles with trhe faulty pumps!

2005 Titan
Long TruCool added w/ removal of radiator in the loop
post #368 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 PM

New kid on the block and not very mechanically savvy! My 2008 Titan Crew XE will crank til the cows come home. I can hear a 2 second hum at the fuel tank when key is turned, but no ignition. I tried swapping the relays as many of you recommended, no change, still just cranked with no firing. Tried spraying starter fluid into the air intake and no results. What do I check next? It has 169,000 miles on it and runs like a top when it runs, she just won't fire. It had slowly been getting more difficult to start. Now it is dead in my garage. Any help is appreciated. Make it simple. My business is the Bible, not motors.
post #369 of 373 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Bought a new relay on Amazon from Conyers Nissan for my 2004 Titan and had it changed out in 5 minutes. Started right up. Nissan Relay - 284B7-CW29E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMTONK0..._yz9Gyb189280Q

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #370 of 373 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:32 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Red face Re: IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Thunder View Post
Okay I'm in dire need of help... I believe my IPDM is going out.. Here is what my truck is doing... Everyday in the morning it starts fine, starts fine when I get out of class, I strted it at least 15 times today running errands before work. Actually 3 days in a row now , idle is fine, everything is normal. 4 DAYS IN A ROW at 8pm when I goto lunch (I work 4-midnight) it won't start, no crank, no kick from the starter but plenty of power for the lights windows etc... I swapped the Relays yesterday but it still is did it today.... Each night after playing with it it seems to start up at about 12:45 am... WTF?? I'll say this I was In Pismo last weekend and did a little off roading, and some towing if that makes a difference... But I'm typing this from my iPhone in the breakroom, and I really want to fix this problem.. Could it be anything other than the IPDM? I thought perhaps it was the transponder key but I've tried all 3 of mine and still no start.. Also my truck is a 2007 4x4 so it's a little newer, anyone with an 07 or newer had trouble with the IPDM?
I just had to ding in and say if that picture is you, you are beautiful and hope you will cheer me on when we all have the first track vk56 shootout!

Its the IDPM

I didn't choose the Titan, it chose me !
post #371 of 373 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM

New member here, though have been reading posts since I bought my 05 titan LE in Jan 16. Have been experiencing the same problems as most in this thread, stalls when driving, sometimes put in N and will start, sometimes not. Pull over rest a few mins. sometimes will start sometimes not. However, also had the service soon light come on and had a code P0340, camshaft position sensor. Was all set to change out the ECU relay, which many posts suggested, but thought I'd do the fault code first. $137.00 from the dealer, not, so searched and bought one from O'reillys for $28. Specs met OEM so I bought it. Was easy to swap, biggest problem was unhooking from the harness. Word of advice you don't just push "down" on the green tab you must push all the way in till it clicks, that releases the CPS. took a while to figure that one out. Anyhoo, so far so good, though this is just day one. Drove around for 10 min or so stopped for a burger, restarted just fine no stalls. So if you experience this problem and have tried the ECU swap, you may have to look into the CPS route also. Now I have to figure out 2 other concerns 1) passenger elect window won't move, and 2) that clicking below the dash, has to do with a vent cam or something like that. BTW just love my titan, most solid truck I've owned.
post #372 of 373 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:56 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

CPS and CPK often don't throw a code, and are cheap/easy to change if suspected. The Dash has a valve that has a delayed action, noted by many. If all is working, don't worry. Glad you like the Titan!

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

post #373 of 373 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanBlue View Post
CPS and CPK often don't throw a code, and are cheap/easy to change if suspected.
Well then if that's the case then it's all the more reason to check the CPS. I've read thru all these posts and so many people switched/replaced the relay and or the whole board and it didn't solve the problem, so what does that tell you what to check? BTW I have the original white board in my truck. It's been over 2 weeks now and had no issues with stalling or starting, works perfect. Also fixed the pass window problem. Took the motor apart and was a bit of powdered residue inside. Cleaned it up and noticed one of the brushes was stuck, so used some electrical contact cleaner and worked the brush in and out to free it up and works just fine now. This, however is just a temporary fix as the brush only extended out about 3/16 of an inch or so and will probably be wearing down at some point. As far as the noisy clacking in the heater box, it only happens at full A/C or defrost positions. An annoyance but I think I'll just have to live with that since it doesn't appear to be an easy fix unless I want to take the whole heater box out.

Happy truckin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top