IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution. - Page 3 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #31 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolest dad View Post
Catalyst efficiency threshold is the defined code being given on both banks. I had fuel in the exhaust pipes at the back of the truck, so it would seem that ,yes, there was gas being pumped through the engine but not being burned. Could it be that the O2 sensors just need cleaned?? Code comes back within 30 miles after being cleared. Dealer insists that I bring it to them(Yeah, more $ for them!!) to double check that it is not something else.
hey guy's i have 05 kc xe. i have recently noticed when i start the truck it seems to have a fuel smell. truck runs fine and everything seems ok. but could this be a early stage of failure for the ecm relay?? thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I doubt it. I think you have a fuel leak. Check carefully under the hood.

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,884 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

evap vent or canister problem?

post #34 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Hey all new here, not to beat a dead subject have ipdm relay issues as described before of note also got a u 1000 ses code pop up finally. got code read = ground error I cleaned all grounds leading to dash + in engine bay(of note the one next to battery is culprite i believe looked oxidize) nevertheless clean engine ground contact and others(also one behind battery feeding ipdm i think). haven't had time to swap fog relay with ecu one(just waiting to get relay in mail) but tried to pull it out and wiggled it to see if it came out easy or not. turns out something changed somewhere. ses went out no more stalling classic ipdm issues since. It's been a week now. Also ordered wrong relay with 3rd leg and 1 correct one from robkar. If you have 3rd leg one as described previously then just use needlenose pliers grab base of leg and bend left and right x3 or so and leg breaks off clean. I ask you all.... could contact on relay be corroded or not proper or is the relay in all cases dead? Or has what changed was simply my luck. FYI self ipdm test passed
post #35 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to onelegwest

On Monday afternoon my wife called me from her work saying the Titan would not start (turn over). Battery seemed good, but the truck just wouldn't turn over.

Finally had it towed to the dealership that same afternoon. On Tuesday the dealership spent 1.5 hours diagnosing the problem and they concluded that it was the IPDM that needed replacing. The entire job cost me $580 CDN for parts and labour. The IPDM itself cost $260 CDN and the labour was 2 hours (diagnosing and repairing). I'm feeling like I've been gouged for this fix. If it's the IPDM why would it take 1.5 hours to diagnose it. Shouldn't it be quick to diagnose this problem?

Also, not sure if this is a new problem, but since the IPDM was replaced both my wife and I have noticed a difference in the performance of the truck. When I accelerate from a complete stop, the acceleration seems more smooth (i.e. no chirping at the start). When I throttle the truck at, say, 40 km/h (25mph) I don't hear the high rpms or feel that huge surge of power any more. It's smooth, yet still powerful, across the entire power band. Anyone else notice a difference?

Dave deRoy

2005 Nissan Titan LE CC
Procomp Extreme A/T 305/65/R17 (33x12.50R17)
Stock 17" rims
Leer canopy with Yakima roof racks
post #36 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelegwest View Post
The IPDM itself cost $260 CDN and the labour was 2 hours (diagnosing and repairing). I'm feeling like I've been gouged for this fix. If it's the IPDM why would it take 1.5 hours to diagnose it. Shouldn't it be quick to diagnose this problem?
It seems to me that taking a vehicle to a dealer for service work and expecting quick work at reasonable prices is like a young woman going to Mike Tyson's crib at 3 AM expecting to discuss philosophy. In both cases, rape is a distinct possibility.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bestatchess For This Useful Post:
RobKar (11-24-2010), TitanOscar (12-02-2010)
post #37 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Looks like Nissan is finally going to step up on the ipdm issue. It appears like recalls are in the works.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email

Last edited by artacus; 11-24-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: update link
post #38 of 373 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 AM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by giocascio View Post
Hey all new here, not to beat a dead subject have ipdm relay issues as described before of note also got a u 1000 ses code pop up finally. got code read = ground error I cleaned all grounds leading to dash + in engine bay(of note the one next to battery is culprite i believe looked oxidize) nevertheless clean engine ground contact and others(also one behind battery feeding ipdm i think). haven't had time to swap fog relay with ecu one(just waiting to get relay in mail) but tried to pull it out and wiggled it to see if it came out easy or not. turns out something changed somewhere. ses went out no more stalling classic ipdm issues since. It's been a week now. Also ordered wrong relay with 3rd leg and 1 correct one from robkar. If you have 3rd leg one as described previously then just use needlenose pliers grab base of leg and bend left and right x3 or so and leg breaks off clean. I ask you all.... could contact on relay be corroded or not proper or is the relay in all cases dead? Or has what changed was simply my luck. FYI self ipdm test passed
Yes, corrosion (a sort that is not really visible) is likely. We have constant problem at work with computers that are mounted inside off road CCTV systems, and solution is pulling memory strips and reinstalling. Simple "oxidation" is the issue, not corrosion like you would see on a battery terminal.

Nissan has determined that silicone vapors inside the Relay cause oxidation of the contacts internally. Don't waste time trying to save a Relay if you have a spare. $10 spent is better than No Crank/No Run. True danger in having an engine shut down while driving, that is why this is a Safety Recall.

It would be good if someone with a 2010 or even a 2009 would take a Macro Pic of their ECU Relay to see if Nissan changed what model or brand ECU Relay is utilized. I have only seen one version of the actual Relay.

Breaking the leg off is fine. Others have done same.

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

post #39 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Got freed up and changed relay today in under 5 minutes. If you read my previous post #34 problem went away, but I found extra time today to swap relays just in case....undoing wire harnesses etc is unnecessary just unhook negative battery terminal ,remove cover + pop out ipdm with cover and all harnesses still hooked up and intact. just losen wires by hand to rotate whole apparatus counter clockwise and you can access the relay with needlenose pliers just like changing a light bulb(prevents an error in not hooking up a harness completely and having to check everything again when truck won't fire up). Pull old, slip in new one and reverse whole process until done. I could definately do this at road side drunk in the dark with wife yelling at me why I bought a Titan(wouldn't be driving of course). All I would need is a cell phone for a little light and just needle nose pliers. If I get motivated I'll you tube it, but I doubt it.

Last edited by giocascio; 12-01-2010 at 10:47 AM.
post #40 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Premium User

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Where can I purchase a new IPDM?
Do I have to go through the stealership or is there somewhere else that I can get it?
Thanks.
post #41 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Premium User

Dealer gave me a quote of $440.00 for the new IPDM and cover(whatever they mean by cover) and said once the re-call is issued Nissan would reimburse me.
I have no other choice except to go ahead and do this because the truck is down and I'm positive that the IPDM is the problem.
It's my wife's truck and Lord knows she needs this thing running.
Thanks for all of the information that y'all have provided.
I never would've figured out what is wrong without y'all.
post #42 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

$115 online and 15 minutes to install. Nice to be a dealer. "Cover" is probably the lid on the plastic box behind the battery that contains the IPDM.

post #43 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 8,869 Times in 5,386 Posts
iTrader Score: 27 reviews

You could purchase a relay for $10 ...

AKA TrollopInTraining™ AKA chinawhore™
2005 BT CC LE

200,000 Miles 4/27/2015
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #44 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Premium User

I bought the IPDM online for 115 bucks(thanks again bestatchess).
I swapped the relays and it was good for a day.I talked to a mechanic that works on Nissan's a lot and his advice was to change out the IPDM.
Apparently he's been seeing this problem a lot.
post #45 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Premium User

Well.That was a waste of time.
Cranks,runs for a second then starts dieseling.
No codes.
Good grief.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top