Nissan Titan Forum banner

IPDM - ECU relay problems, symptoms and solution.

820K views 472 replies 173 participants last post by  jtijerina204 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is a recall involving the ECM relay, TSB NTB10-137b
The TSB list 04-06 but give the dealer a call anyway with your VIN.

As of late I have seen a lot of posts of trucks not starting, sputtering, or shutting off while driving. Most of these are usually because of the ECU relay failing or in some cases the whole IPDM board failing.
IPDM = Intelligence Power Distribution Module

Symptoms - there have been lots of different symptoms but all in all the truck usually will not idle right or can't even be started.

-truck dies while driving and can't be started
-sputtering like it's not getting gas
-rough idling
-usually no SES codes but might have a combination of other lights flashing or on.
-sometimes truck will die but will start up normally in a few minutes/hours then die again
-sometimes the truck cranks but will not start then start normally after that (an early sign of IPDM failure)
-battery is usually good cause I had full lights in the truck and all other stuff work
-I will add more to the symptoms list as I come across them

NascarJody was the first to post about swapping the ECU relay with the fog lights relay.
Note: this is a way to get you going and is not a permanent fix.
See image below

Location of IPDM box under the hood and how to remove
(you do not need to remove the IPDM out of the box but will need
to lift it up to access the lower row of relays)

Once you have swapped the relays and if the truck starts right up then you
know the ECU relay was the culprit.

FIX- a couple of choices.
-Get a new ECU relay (as I said before swapping the relay is not a permanent fix as the fog lights relay lacked a "protective diode", this protects the ECU from a power spike.
-Thanks to TitanBlue for finding the source of the correct relays but since it's only sold in lots of 50
-Thank you to RobKar for ordering and sending out the relays to those needed.
Relay model number: ACM33211
Even for those of you who have never had this problem, It would not be a bad idea to get an extra relay to keep in the truck.
Even with a new IPDM board, I have some extra relays in the glove box.

-Get a new IPDM
-If you would rather get a new IPDM instead of just a relay, the part # for the new improved IPDM is 284B7-ZE03B
-I have read instances where swapping the relays did not help but the problems were solved once a new IPDM was installed.
-New IPDM cost about $100 or so, Swapping out the IPDM took me about 5 minutes in the driveway with a simple flathead screwdriver
-Unfortunately, you can NOT get the $100 IPDM anymore.

You can buy just the relay from the dealer. PN 284B7-CW29E

The latest IPDM part # 284B7-ZE03B Black in color.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What would we do without you???

#6 ·
Okay I'm in dire need of help... I believe my IPDM is going out.. Here is what my truck is doing... Everyday in the morning it starts fine, starts fine when I get out of class, I strted it at least 15 times today running errands before work. Actually 3 days in a row now , idle is fine, everything is normal. 4 DAYS IN A ROW at 8pm when I goto lunch (I work 4-midnight) it won't start, no crank, no kick from the starter but plenty of power for the lights windows etc... I swapped the Relays yesterday but it still is did it today.... Each night after playing with it it seems to start up at about 12:45 am... WTF?? I'll say this I was In Pismo last weekend and did a little off roading, and some towing if that makes a difference... But I'm typing this from my iPhone in the breakroom, and I really want to fix this problem.. Could it be anything other than the IPDM? I thought perhaps it was the transponder key but I've tried all 3 of mine and still no start.. Also my truck is a 2007 4x4 so it's a little newer, anyone with an 07 or newer had trouble with the IPDM?

#7 ·
I think your problem is the battery or a corroded battery connection.

#12 · (Edited)
I had starting problems similar to the IPDM issue. They replaced the IPDM board and all kinds of things but still didn't work. Finally the Dealer fixed it and said it was something with the anti-theft alarm array. The truck has been starting fine for over a year since the fix.

Reactions: gweasel77
#14 ·
What did they fix? This problem has continued, but one night by accident I pushed the button on the fob with the key in the ignition and it started right up. So every time it's not wanted to start since I just push the fob button while trying to start it and it's fine. I just today discovered you can reset the immobilizer system with the key, so hopefully that does the fix. If not I'm wondering what I'll need to replace...

#13 ·
A little heads up for those doing the IPDM Replacement. REMOVE THE BATTERY from the truck, then replace the IPDM. I didn't when I replaced mine and didn't get one or more (Not sure how many) of the connectors fully seated. This caused the truck to throw 6 codes. After numerous attempts to remove the 6 codes I finally took Baseballfanz advice and removed my IPDM and reinstalled it, after removing the battery to give me more room to work. Did the manual SES light reset and I no longer have an SES light.

#15 ·
Okay so I'm still having this issue where the immobilizer system wont let me start my truck... It's been fine for a few days and all of a sudden now it isn't working again... here is my question.... is the immobilizer system part of the IPDM? If it is i can just kill 2 birds with one stone and replace it. I'm really getting sick of this $hit.... I know it's not the IPDM directly, it IS the immobilizer alarm thing. help would be greatly appreciated....

#16 ·
Sorry I wish I asked questions when they fixed mine. I went to the Irvine dealership (back in 09), maybe give them a call?

#17 ·
Hi I am Rags.
New to the site, but love the information. I have a 2004 and seem to be having the same problems as described above. All lights work when you turn the key on but nothing at all when you turn the key to start. before it stopped starting it began to buck and jump a little the mph and rpm gauge stopped working it acted like it was going to die. I made it to football practice, then it would not start after killing it. I changed out the relays with window defroser relay and fog lamp relay. No go. I noticed the horn no longer sounds when I lock it and the panic alarm on the key fob does not work. How do I know if it is the board or the imobilization system? Please no way to get to where I need to be. Thanks.

#18 ·
Very simple job thought I would share my experience. Great thread Fanz

Tools needed:

1/8” flathead screwdriver
3/16” flathead screwdriver

1-Return your truck back to stock tune if you have a tune.

Remove both battery cables.

This is where the IPDM is located. Big black box nearest the firewall.

Push in mounting tabs on the IPDM this will allow it to slide up in its mounting track and allow for eventual removal. You can see the tabs at the top left and right in this picture.

Most of the wire harness plugs needed the smaller screwdriver but some I used the bigger one. If the plug does not come out easily then you have not pushed the retaining clip in far enough. There are 6 plugs to unplug and they are all different shapes/sizes so it makes it easy..

My new IPDM was missing one fuse. I didn’t look what it was for but just swapped it out from the old one.

Put the battery cables back on, took a big sip of Capn, crossed my fingers, and turned the key. Fired right up. 15 minute job but I would not want to do this on a hot day on the side of the road. Oh, my IPDM wasnt bad but wanted to do it anyway. Now I have a spare under my back seat

#19 ·
how's it going out there titan owners. i had a thread a little bit ago about fuel problems. i figured that little problem out but i am still getting a rough idle, a flashing SES light and it is almost as if its only running on 4 or 5 cylinders. shifts are slow now but i get a snappy fuel response off the line. the glass pack i have on the truck is spitting out the fiberglass now so i know somethings not right there. this all started when i replaced my after market fuel pump. i adjusted my Mallory fuel regulator to run at the normal 55 psi at idle and about 51 to 55 psi when under a load (example Drive, Reverse, Neutral ect. We did remove the trailer tow that Nissan had on the truck to clean it up and have less wires running around the truck. I'm thinking that was not a very smart move on our part and contemplating putting it back and hiding it in the frame so its out of our way and keep that clean look still. if anyone got any hint, tips, tricks. We would love to hear them. Thanks Guys

#20 ·
I thought I had an ECU relay problem, I had just cleaned up the gunk on the positive terminal assembly with baking soda and replaced my battery. I re-attached the battery terminals and heard some clicking in the dash and immediately drained the new battery. I disconnected the battery and put a battery tender on and recharged it, but I also did an ohms reading from Positive cable to negative cable and I have a short. Unless my thinking is wrong, I shouldn't have a short from the hot terminal to the ground terminal. Can someone confirm?

#21 ·
I was made aware today of a recall sent out yesterday...
this is what i found: its about thr relay in the ipdm unit

NEWS: Nissan announces recall of 747,000 trucks, SUVs in U.S.

YAHOO NEWS -- October 28, 2010 – Nissan North America announced a recall on Thursday of 747,000 trucks and SUVs in the U.S. because of the risk of failure to the electrical systems.

Nissan said the recall extends to Nissan Armadas and Titans from 2004 to 2006, Infiniti QX56s from 2005 and 2006, as well as Nissan Frontiers, Pathfinders and Xterras from August 2003 and June 2006.

The company said that it needs to replace the electrical relays in the engine control modules -- the computers that control engine performance and other essential components of motor vehicles.

The Japanese automaker said the problem may cause the engine to stall. In extreme cases, a stalled engine cannot be restarted.

"Silicon vapor may form inside the electrical relay that supplies voltage to the engine control module," said the company. "Over time, this vapor could create oxidation on the electrical contacts in the relay that may lead to engine performance issues, including the possibility of stalling at low engine speeds."

No related injuries or accidents have been reported, Nissan said.

In addition to the U.S. recall, Nissan North America said the recall extends to 23,000 of these vehicles in Canada.

World-wide, the company is recalling 2.2 million of these vehicles with similar potential for failure.

In Japan

#22 ·
So, having this failure has lead to gas being dumped into and ruining the cats. Since Nissan is finally owning up to the IPDM issue, will it be their responsibility to cover the costs of replacing my cats or are they likely to deny any association? I'd rather them reimburse my expenses so far for the relay fix and have them pay for my exhaust work from elsewhere as it would be less $ for Nissan and better parts for me!:)

#24 ·
There was another post here with same issue stating the gas was dumped,also independent mechanic concurred the same. That would suck!:(

#25 ·
So by shutting off the fuel pump (IPDM relay going out). You think that gas is being dumped into the cats ... seems to me that it would starve for gas?

#28 ·
Catalyst efficiency threshold is the defined code being given on both banks. I had fuel in the exhaust pipes at the back of the truck, so it would seem that ,yes, there was gas being pumped through the engine but not being burned. Could it be that the O2 sensors just need cleaned?? Code comes back within 30 miles after being cleared. Dealer insists that I bring it to them(Yeah, more $ for them!!) to double check that it is not something else.

#29 ·
Putting my hand up ...

Are you saying that your truck pumped enough gas (unburned) to come out the back of your tail pipe wet? Sounds like a trip to taco bell :rofl:

#30 ·
just back from dealer with $89 less in my pocket. They confirmed what was posted earlier: both cats failed most likely due ti relay failure. $1800 to repair. Waiting for paperwork from Nissan about what they will do since this is a result of the IPDM relay failure being recalled. Nissan did say last week on the phone that the paperwork should be in our mail by Dec 6th.

#32 ·
I doubt it. I think you have a fuel leak. Check carefully under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.