cold weather hiccups - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
cold weather hiccups

So I have a 2005 titan LE 4X4 offroad. I live in Florida but go up north from time to time. In the cold winter climate my truck will randomly hiccup and stutter here and there. I thought at first it was moisture in my intake from snow, but have never verified that. I also thought maybe the truck was sensing a slip and cutting the engine for a split second. I have absolutely zero problems outside of the cold weather so I never messed with it. Well now I'm about to move to Utah and would like to fix this before it's a problem again. Has anyone else dealt with this? What was the fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Re: cold weather hiccups

idk about snow getting into you intake...seems pretty unlikely to me. if its killing the engine because it engages the "slip", then it would say that accordingly on your cluster. not really sure why it would be choking up like that...fuel pump maybe?? if you have a CAI and wnat to ensure water didnt get in there, take it off and look for water spots and residue in the intake tube as well as the MAF. bump for more ideas. good luck
#3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 PM

well it's not actually killing my engine. It seems more like a transmission slip and banging into gear or something but my fuel flow and battery voltage follows with it. It was almost a year ago that I was in that climate so I cant really check now. I can't see how it would be moisture because it never does it in the Florida rain. I'm hoping someone has had the same issue.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:17 PM

i know there have been many IPBM relay issues w/ similar characteristics....try doing a search on that and see if its similar to yours. good luck
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 PM

I have had the rear end slip on me all the time here in Alaska, and the engine has never limited power output.
Have you checked for water in your fluids?
Also what do you mean your "fuel flow and battery voltage follow with it"? I want to make sure I understand.

2005 Nissan Titan No Fear edition, 6" pro comp lift, Uprev Osiris standard, dual Optima red top batteries, Wrangler dual battery manager, NCD upper A arms, 35" Falken all terrains, Frozen Rotors slotted cryo rotors, Hawk pads, JBA shorty headers, Banks exhaust, Volant air intake, rear locker mod, Iron Bull rear bumper, Wet Okole seat covers, 2- 10" MTX subs and pioneer amp.

Future mods: Kennesaw Mtn. bumper with Warn 16.5 Ti winch, and so on, and so on.

"The factory builds it to fit everyone, I build it to fit ME"
#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM

I'm not sure about the IPBM. I've read about it on here and it seems to be a constant problem where as mine only happens in extreme cold and hasn't happened since a year ago when I was in that climate. I did check my fluids and they had no water in them. I don't believe the fuel was a factor because I filled up many times at various gas stations and still randomly had the problem till I left the extreme cold. I guess I could get a new relay just for $hits and giggles and swap it if it happens again.

What I meant by fuel flow and battery voltage followed is that I have a bulldog tripdog 3 computer and watched the display when the hiccup occured once. my voltage dropped slightly to 13 and fuel flow had a down spike too, but this was all only for a split second. No fault codes pop up either.

I don't mean to shoot everyone down. I really appreciate the help. If anyone had this problem they will know exactly what I'm talking about. Just hoping I'm not the only one!
#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 716 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Yeah temperatures have dropped down to 30s-40s finally here in Daytona and I've noticed my truck has a rough start but I've only assumed that's because my battery is starting to go down south... I don't think it's my IPDM, and if it is I'm ready for it because I have my spare relay to replace it with when the time comes to actually swap it out.

2004 4x4 KC SE: BEDLINER EDITION
6'' Fabtech, 2'' PRG spacer, 3" BL, 37/13.50/17 Toyo MT Open Country, Bilsteins on all four on middle perch, +08 4x4 Coils, RC UCAs, JBA LT Headers, Cajun 2.5" Catless B-pipes, 3"in/3"out Borla XR-1 muffler, 2.5"in/3"out Magnaflow Y-Pipe, Airaid MXP 4" CAI, custom pre-runner bumper, 4 7" Kragen HiD lights, 8k 35w HiD lows, Koyo Radiator, Headlight mod, center console shifter swap and much more...

What's Next: Uprev, Traction bars and Trutrac...
#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM

I would definately try some 'dry gas' in the tank. Here in Alaska, if you fill when it's cold and park where it's warm (my garage is too full, but some have that luxury) the temp change will cause condensation to build up in the tank i.e water. My Titan is an '04 and I've seen some stupid cold temps with none of the problems you've mentioned. OR, you could call your dealer if you trust them. I hope you get it fixed.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM

I know what you are talking about, cold weather hiccups is exactly what it feels like. I live in Toronto Canada, in the summers this problem never happens to me but in the winters every now and then my truck will do that little hiccup. The problem is direcly related to cold weather only.And it only happens when im at highway speeds, it never happens to me city driving. It deosn't happen very much maybe twice this winter so far but i would really like to fix this issue.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_prince View Post
I know what you are talking about, cold weather hiccups is exactly what it feels like. I live in Toronto Canada, in the summers this problem never happens to me but in the winters every now and then my truck will do that little hiccup. The problem is directly related to cold weather only.And it only happens when I'm at highway speeds, it never happens to me city driving. It doesn't happen very much maybe twice this winter so far but i would really like to fix this issue.
Yep exactly. I just got the recall done that replaces the ecm relay. I was told that the problem was that it's a special relay with a diode in it that intermittently fails in extreme temperatures and causes the engine to cut out or die all together. Sounded sketchy to me, but I hope it's true. I haven't been in any extreme cold yet this year, but I will be an the end of this month. I also have read about people sucking moisture into intakes and it freezing on the mass flow air sensor causing hiccups and stuff. There's a sock type cover you can put on it but I forget the name of it right now. gonna try that too. Let me know if you figure anything out!

Last edited by fliporama1; 12-27-2010 at 07:36 AM.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 AM

My 07 did the same thing when cold. Dash lights and gauges powered up and down. Do a search on Raconnol. The hard shifting ended with a burnt out clutch and a new transmission under warranty. Turns out the problem only went away when the IPDM
Was replaced. That last a year until this winter then when cold the gauges and headlights started to reset again. Got my 2nd IPDM on warranty this month and the cold weather issues completely disappeared. So I ordered a couple
of IDPM modules cause I am betting it's the module.

Rick
07 CC Galaxy Black LE 4x4, PRG Mini Lift 2/1.5, ICON rears, Frt Frozen Rotors & Hawk Pads, K&N, MagnaFlow, Leer 100R, AVS Hood Shield, 20% Tint, ScanGaugeII, BDPP, HID 6000k Lights, LED Tail lights from Seres
#12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icytitan View Post
I would definately try some 'dry gas' in the tank. Here in Alaska, if you fill when it's cold and park where it's warm (my garage is too full, but some have that luxury) the temp change will cause condensation to build up in the tank i.e water. My Titan is an '04 and I've seen some stupid cold temps with none of the problems you've mentioned. OR, you could call your dealer if you trust them. I hope you get it fixed.
Dry Gas is a bad idea today, in the past it was truly the way to go! The problem today is that gas has ethanol in it, and that last thing you want to add is MORE alcohol to the fuel system (as in dry gas)....

Zack
#13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanked 1,181 Times in 860 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I have no idea what this thread is about, but I live in a climate that covers temps from 100F to -20F and my titan idles and runs great at each extreme.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, Airaid 4" MXP CAI, Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI. 1/8 mile 9.30@74.49 with a 2.11 60'.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,879 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Yeah temperatures have dropped down to 30s-40s finally here in Daytona
You poor thing.

#15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestatchess View Post
You poor thing.
No kiddin CHESS. 8* with WC of 4*

The very existence of flamethowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves: "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

2006 Galaxy Black CC 4X2, PRG 2.5/1.0 mini lift, Bilstein 5100 struts on front and 5100 shocks on rear, headlight mod, airbox mod, BDGT, Axle Vent Mod, VHT Tails & 3rd Brakelight, GPS Speed Sensor Mod, Royal Purple Oil, Tranny Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, and Purple Ice in the Dual Core All Aluminum CST Radiator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top