Nissan Titan Forum banner

Bed shakes

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Roll-Tide 
#1 ·
So my bed of my truck shakes pretty bad once and a while, i'm starting to get annoyed by it. I have good tires, new shocks in the rear. Has anybody come up with any solutions for this yet? I know its sort of a common thing, the tundra site uses a "willybar" but I cant justify spending 400 bucks on some slabs of metal to put in the back.

#3 ·
I've run 35, 38, 40, and 42 psi in them with the same results. Right now im at 40psi because my tires are wearing more on the edges then centers.

#5 ·
is it doing this under acceleration like while launching your truck or what? also i was just curious to what color black your wheels are painted?

#7 ·
Mostly shakes while i'm cruising down the road. I had a buddy at a body shop spray my wheels, he said they were a matte black finish.

#8 ·
I've had the same problem for years.... it all started when I went offroading with 4 dirtbikes in the bed (not a good decision BTW) Its beyond the point of being repaired, since my tail gate won't even close anymore.. I'm having my welder fab me a brace to hold the besides and take the place of the tail gate

#9 ·
Not too long ago I was following a Titan, and as I came up on his right-rear quarter, I noticed his bed shaking. Almost looked like it had a wheel out of balance...or a wheel out of round

It must me a Nissan thing...My T shakes at exactly 65mph....My wife has a 2007 Quest we bought new...after three visits to the dealer and countless wheel balances and NEW tires, we ended up swapping out a complete set of wheels from another Quest on the lot and it fixed it......

#10 ·
Check those rear leaf spring shackles too, common failure point on Pre 2008's.

#11 ·
i have zero excessive bed shake...except for the norm which is very minor. these roads out here are pretty bad too.

to the OP, idk how bad its shaking but a little is 100% normal during normal driving conditions. the cab and bed are obviously separate pieces and a frame does flex, which causes the shake. there isnt much support for the frame in the back. its similar to if you were to hold a metal rod on one end and slightly move it...the other end would travel a much greater distance. but if it is excessive, def take a look at what some of the other mentioned.

#12 ·
Common???

Never had it yet (on 2nd T now) and haven't heard much about it with the Titan. Tundra has that bad..friends always complaining about that.

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah what some might think is excessive could be totally within limits. Just drive behind some other trucks around your area and you'll see that theirs does the same thing. You could possibly have a slightly bent wheel or something in the rotating assembly out back that could be vibrating the bed but you wouldn't be feeling it in the cab. There's some video on youtube somewhere that tests the bed shaking.

here it is

To me that seems completely normal. But it could be the isolators that mount between the bed and frame if there are any? Driveshaft balance,tires,wheels,bent axle tube etc etc.. If its as minor as it is in the video I wouldn't even worry about it. Or lift the truck ;) theres a comment in there from someone who lifted his and that got rid of his bed shake lol.

#15 ·
Yeah what some might think is excessive could be totally within limits. Just drive behind some other trucks around your area and you'll see that theirs does the same thing. You could possibly have a slightly bent wheel or something in the rotating assembly out back that could be vibrating the bed but you wouldn't be feeling it in the cab. There's some video on youtube somewhere that tests the bed shaking.

here it is

YouTube - Nissan Titan vibrating on dyno

To me that seems completely normal. But it could be the isolators that mount between the bed and frame if there are any? Driveshaft balance,tires,wheels,bent axle tube etc etc.. If its as minor as it is in the video I wouldn't even worry about it. Or lift the truck ;) theres a comment in there from someone who lifted his and that got rid of his bed shake lol.
Yea my bed shakes worse than that for sure, but not all the time like that one.

#14 ·
Whoa this thread is starting to move now. I was wondering if there was a way to fab a small shock to the bed, I think that would be the trick

#18 ·
Could you post a side picture of your truck? And I don't understand how the bed could be shaking..if its bolted to the frame it shouldn't move unless the frame moves..unless the spotless on the besides are coming undone?

#17 ·
The Tundras and Tacos shake cause they know that a TITAN is behind them about to F#$K 'em up.

#19 ·
Is it shaking at all speeds? Coasting or on the throttle? Maybe the bed is resonating at that specific speed? Possibly check your tailgate to make sure its tight and that your bedsides arn't bowing outward. I had that problem because I went way over my max payload and the bed floor started to bow.

#20 ·
I was thinking of trying to get video of it at some point, it feels like all speeds. It does not do it all the time, but it will start to shake, I can watch in my mirrors and see the bed go up and down almost an inch or so. It make the whole truck shake, including me in the seat.

#21 ·
To my knowledge, mine doesn't shake. But it squeaks excessively and it's really annoying. I haven't pinpointed the problem area or how to fix it.

#22 ·
mine shakes every now and then when i'm going at a certain speed (my tires aren't perfectly balanced so I figured that's causing it to shake)...but when I first got my titan, i slammed the tailgate shut and noticed the bed wobble/shake...thought it looked odd, so i went to the nissan dealer and slammed 3 different tailgates shut on 3 different brand new titans...they all looked identical to mine, wobbled a bit when the tailgate shut so i figured it was normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.