Nissan Titan Forum banner

No Heat...Fixed

257K views 149 replies 90 participants last post by  White Lightening 
#1 · (Edited)
I found that my heat isn't working, work perfect last winter.

Water valve or control valve (whatever you call it) is junk. Made of all plastic.

I found it here. Against the firewall and easy to reach.

Opened it up, turned the heat on and it did nothing. I touched it and the gears began to turn. Did this a couple times to "loosen it up".

Took it for a test drive. turned the heat off and on several times and it died again.

So I manually opened it by removing the shaft and turning the top gear counter clockwise.

I put it all together, minus the shaft piece. And there you have it just save $$$$.

This will go in the glove box for future use. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Holy crap - that worked awesome!! 2008 Titan LE lost heat last week - read your post, thankfully before calling dealer, and within 30 min heat was working!!!

Question though - I too left the post out as it does not seem to affect heating cooling operations -- what is the impact of leaving it out?

Thanks in advance and huge thanks for making me my wife's hero and saving a couple Ben Francklin's for sure.

#6 ·
What beason said...efficiancy when cooling is lost (a little).

#5 ·
Same thing on mine and I fixed it last week. About may of next year I will turn it shut so I will have max AC. Then in Sept I will open her up again. I will do this forever or until one of these new parts falls in my lap. LOL

#7 ·
Hey guys last Friday I bought an 06 Titan with 60,000. Of course it was typical afternoon. Checked the AC ran like a top. Of course 1st time I tried to use the heat I get cold air.

Been looking at these heat related topics for a few days. I tried this fix does not appear to be working. Still blowing cold air.

Anyone ever had any luck getting Nissan to fix this out of warranty? Seems like kind of a bad deal for Nissan.

Thanks

#8 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the post. Helped me fix the same issue.

Drove my truck to work this morning - heat was working fine. Drove home - no heat, brrrrr. Checked fuses, relays, and the front control panel connections (did some audio work a day before), everything seemed fine.

After doing some research, found this post that describes the valve. And sure enough after pulling the plastic shaft and moving the top gear back and forth a few times and reinserting the shaft things started to work again.

I'm just glad that valve was easy to access and didn't require pulling half the console apart or something like that.

My concern tho is that when I opened up the cover for this valve I had about a third or even half cup of coolant/refrigerant spill out. Is it normal for it to leak into the gear enclosure? Could it be contributing to the failure of this component?

#10 ·
Guys I have been meaning to take my truck to a dealership to get it looked at. I had planned on putting the little shaft part back in place before doing so. But I was driving down the road the other day and lost all my Transmission fluid so I took it into a dealership up the rd. It ended up being my coolant line.
I asked them to check out my heater and showed the service writer the shaft, and put it in the cup holder in the center console.

They diagnosed the problem as the heat pump hose assembly. From what I gather it is the little box that I took the shaft out of.

Question: Did they diagnose that as bad because I had the shaft out? I doubt the service writer actually showed the tech. I can change that out I am sure just do not want to do it if it is a bad diagnosis.

#15 ·
Let us know if you find the correct part number for the assembly and how much it runs. I too have an 08 and one day may decide to replace it.

#17 ·
did you re-grease any of it at all? i gotta tinker with mine later.

#18 ·
I tried several things with mine. The little motor is simply failing.

I should replace it but continue to put it off and usually forget that it's in a perminent open position.

#19 ·
rotating the knob didn't work for me. left or right, same thing. cool air unless i'm accellerating. radiator is full, coolant overflow res. is just below min.

#20 ·
Could be the heat mix actuator (common failure) is acting up/broke OR the arm that it connects to it broken/snapped.

This particular actuator is located on top of the HVAC box, sort of behind the dash, in the glovebox area. There is no way in hell to remove/replace it without pulling the entire unit out (that I could find by inspection). That would require removal, etc, etc. Roughly a $1,000 job if it is JUST the actuator. If the mix valve arm (little plastic "arm") itself is broken, you would probably be looking at a new HVAC "box". I think that is in the $800 range itself.

Do you hear any clinking after adjusting the heat/cold control? If so, it points to the actuator.

Also, you can pull the glovebox and get your hand up in there to touch the actuator. I would cycle it from cold to hot and see if it is moving at all. If not, either the actuator is dead or it is not receiving a signal (bad control unit possibly).

I would first check actuator operation and go from there.....

Three of my four actuators "click" several times after adjusting that setting (ie: going from cold to hot or floor to vent). My recirc/fresh actuator is dead/non-responsive. I am probably looking at pulling the entire unit out to replace two of them. The other two can be reached without such drama.

Good luck.... In much research, I found that the actuators are very common failures.

#21 · (Edited)
I tried the knob last winter. No luck this fall took it to a dealership. They quoted me 450.00 to replace my hose assembly. Called me to tell me that they did not miss diagnose it. But that there was another part bad. Do they want another 750.00 to take my dash out. Still have not bit the bullet.

Not real pleased with my Titan experience. This will be my first and last.

#22 ·
thanks gt. i do hear some clicking noises when making adjustments to temp or changing from vent to floor etc. it's always done that since new.

#26 ·
Upon driving home from skiing yesterday, my heater quit working. I did what you displayed and it worked! Been driving all day today and the heater works fine. I did not have to remove the shaft, it seemed like it was loose upon unscrewing the cover. Thanks for insight! Hope this solved the problem long term.

#27 ·
mine turned out to be an air pocket in the cooling system. i tried to burp it myself last weekend but got no air out of it. took it to the shop yesterday. they checked everything out, the valve, blew out the heater core, checked temps on the coolant hoses coming in and going out. discovered that the temp dropped significantly while at idle indicating air in the system (since everything else was clear). attempted to burp it but couldn't get any air out either. he ended up having to raise the front of the truck on the lift to get the radiator higher than the rest of the system. then he was finally able to burp the air out. he couldn't say how or why the air got in there though. he said to keep an eye on it and if it happens again he'll want to investigate it further to find the cause.

#28 ·
Got to make you wonder how the air got in there...

#29 ·
exactly... hope the head gasket isn't starting to fail, it's only got 59k on it.

#30 ·
Sorry about the late response. The part including tax was $160.00. More than I expected but I didn't want mess with the valve. That is, having to open and close when the temp requirement changed. One thing I didn't understand is the valve came as an assembly. You can't buy just the valve. It comes with both hoses already mounted. Didn't require much to change it out except when I had to find the dropped nut in the gravel. (self induced frustration). I'll take the time and pull the truck inside the shop on clean concrete the next time I do something under the hood.