Titan Slow to Turn over - Battery?Starter?Alternator? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Titan Slow to Turn over - Battery?Starter?Alternator?

I'm not mechanic and the past 5-6 times i've started my truck (09 SE w/ 31k miles) it's been VERY slow to start when I turn the key. My battery volt meter reads fine. Battery terminals are corrosion-free. I did notice that some of the electronics (trip odometer, radio) reset everytime I start the truck. Once it's started, it runs fine. I was under a 1/4 tank and when I filled up tonight, the truck seemed to start a little quicker. That could be totally random, though.

This doesn't seem like a battery issue, but I could be wrong. The battery, starter, and alternator should last MUCH longer than 2.5 years/31k miles, right? Especially the starter and alternator. I'm taking it up to Autozone in the morning but wanted to see if anyone had some feedback w/ prior experiences.

And I assume that the starter/alternator aren't covered under my basic 36k mile warranty? I know that the dealer will cover 25% of a new battery, but I have a feeling their prices are much higher than Autozone+25%.

Thanks guys.

2009 CC 4x2 SE
Flowmaster Super 40 Series Muffler with 3.5" pipes; 1.5" PRG Leveling Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Titan Slow to Turn over - Battery?Starter?Alternator?

The batteries go quick on the Titan's. My OEM lasted about 3 yrs.

05 LE CC 4x4 BT
Mods:
lots of stuff
#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Nissan covers bumper to bumper 3yr/36k. The exceptions on that is wear and tear items like brake pads and the battery, and accidents. Pretty sure the starter and alternator both would be covered with that as neither are wear and tear imo. But, it is most likely your battery. Mine died after 1 1/2 yrs and like 16k miles....and I live in sunny San Diego where it doesnt dip below 40deg....they are junk. I would just go get the battery tested at autozone and pick up an Optima. When the batteries start to go out in these trucks, funny things start to happen. When you started the truck after filling up, it had only been turned off momentary so it didnt loose its charge....not to mention it doesnt take as much juice to turn over a warm engine. When you let the truck sit over night and is sluggish on the cold start is usually a sign of the battery not holding a charge.

Bad starter...can have very similar symptoms as a low battery. Get the battery checked first.

Bad alternator... truck would most likely die while running as it would not be providing enough power for a good trickle charge, which in turn kills the battery.

If its not the battery, alternator, or starter that is bad, it would be a parasitic draw. Usually from installing aftermarket sound systems incorrectly or leaving a dome light on or something.

Truck:
2010 Nissan Titan SE KC 2WD / 16.8mpg

Mods...so far:
Nismo CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust, 8k HIDs, Black Husky Tool Box
DIY Bedliner, Aries Black Brush Guard, DIY Grounding Kit, WeatherTech Floormats

Gas Saver:
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid / 48mpg
Mods : K&N Drop-In, KYB Shocks/Struts, 6k H/L HIDs
125,000+ Miles

Toy:
07 Yamaha R6 / 30mpg * Murdered at 28,812 miles

New Toy:
2014 Triumph Daytona 675 / Stock
#4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I agree with VK56. My thoughts are take it somewhere to have you battery tested completely. If it's bad, replace it. After that, take it to the dealer before the warranty is up. bumper to bumper is just that, and it may be worth a call to the dealership to make sure that the battery wouldn't be covered. Some may include it......

Just noticed this thread is a few days old. Did you already get it checked?

2005 LE CC 4wd - sadly she's gone
Magnaflow Catback
Best 1/4 mile time so far - 15.10 @ 88.86 (Second track appearance)

New ride - 2007 GMC Yukon SLT Black on black fully loaded and bone stock. 15.9 @89mph w/2.54 60ft.

Jump to top