A/C stays on even after turning a/c switch off. - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 06:46 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Turn your AC on Max defrost. Leave it on long enough for the compressor to cycle on and then turn the defrost off. When I do this my compressor stays on even after turning the fan off and turning the AC on and back off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 06:58 AM

I started my truck and moved to max a/c. Cold air. Tried to push a/c off but light stayed on. Move selector from max a/c to next position using upper vents then I could turn of a/c by pushing button, light goes out and compressor turns off but continues to blow air. Max a/c is not a defrost but only stops the pulling in of hot air from the outside and only pulls air from the inside of your vehicle. The defrost will run either cold or heat but the compressor will always turn. All seems pretty much normal to me but if you cannot move from max a/c to another position and not be able to push your button and have the light go out and the compressor shut off, then that is a problem.
#18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 08:01 AM

TallTexan

Start your truck, place you selector on Defrost. Leave it there until it gets cold enough for the compressor to cycle a few times. Make sure your A/C is turned off (ie no A.C light) Turn it off of defrost to any other selection (other than Max) and listen/watch for your compressor to cycle. I have verified mine under the hood. The clutch engages and disengages about every ten seconds. There is nothing you can do with the selector knobs now to turn the comperssor off, nothing but turn off the engine to take it out of this condition that is....

05/04 Deepwater CC BT SE popular w/bench, added splash guards, step rails, hood protector, Myron & Davis factory like DVD & TV System

'00 Honda RS250R
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
#19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM

The owners manual says you can end the cycling by turning the fan switch to "0," but it did not work for me.

The odd thing about it after I first read about this and tried it, is that:

1.) The first time it happened, it was exactly as described, turning engine off was the only way to end the compressor cycling.

2.) I tried it a second time only minutes later, and after having shut the engine off to reset. On this occurrence, I could NOT get the compressor to keep doing the unwanted cycling even if I tried. I would move the dial to defrost, cycling would start, back to vent, cycling would stop. This had me thinking that perhaps there was a humidistat at play.

3.) The third time I tried it, several days later, it was back as it was the first time. Once selecting defrost, the only way to stop the compressor cycling was to stop the engine.

It's just one more annoyance, along with the buzzy plastic panels and brake dust...

2004 Titan LE 4x4 King Cab - Radiant Silver
Navigation/Off-Road/Big-Tow
2002 Yamaha FZ1 - Silver
2001 KTM 520EXC
#20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:45 AM

thought about the humidistat but it seems to happen pretty regularly for me with no regard to time/temp/humidity/.......

05/04 Deepwater CC BT SE popular w/bench, added splash guards, step rails, hood protector, Myron & Davis factory like DVD & TV System

'00 Honda RS250R
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
#21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to KY TITAN
well looks like we have another victim of this. my truck is two weeks old and it began doing this very same thing today when i switched the defrost on. i have not tried it since shutting the truck off so we will have to see if that helps. guess this is officially the first "problem" out of my truck

Finally Arrived:
2004 Nissan Titan 4x4 KC SE - Black
Off Road with E-Locker
Big Tow
Captains Chairs with Rockford Fosgate
Utility Bed Package
Bed Extender

MY TRUCK IS HERE!!!!!!
#22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:29 PM

I have been wondering why my air conditioner came on when I selected defrost or max defrost.
Maybe those who are not able to heat their cab should look at this. Maybe their compressor is running and cooling while they are trying to heat.
I sure don't want to have to replace a burned up compressor out of warranty...
#23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
I have been wondering why my air conditioner came on when I selected defrost or max defrost.
Maybe those who are not able to heat their cab should look at this. Maybe their compressor is running and cooling while they are trying to heat.
I sure don't want to have to replace a burned up compressor out of warranty...

Its normal for the AC to be used in defost mode to dehumidify the air.
#24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falchulk
Its normal for the AC to be used in defost mode to dehumidify the air.
That's true, BUT most of us are used to having the option of running defrost with or without the A/C compressor on. Besides, the real issue here is that many of us can't get the compressor to shut off long after turning off the defrost or A/C and switching to another position on the dial. For me, the only way to eliminate the compressor running is to turn of the truck and use a different setting when starting back up. If you use max A/C or defrost when first starting up, you are stuck with it until you shut down again. What I want to know is that friggin' help line that was mentioned earlier.
#25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:42 AM

I had an 03' Frontier before the Titan and it did the same exact thing. I guess I got so used to it, it hasn't bothered me yet. Definitly curious to see what the fix is.
#26 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:59 AM

I see this thread was started in Aug 04 or something...I have owned my Titan since 12/4/03 over a year. And had this exact discussion with the dealer severa times when in for routine/service. They said it was "normal operating condition". BS...

Here is the skinny. example: I have the A/C on Max or A/C Normal doesn't matter with the fan on 2nd blower setting. If in the Max position, I turn the A/C knob out of Max to a normal A/C setting then try to push the A/C button to "un-light" the button and at this point you would expect the stinkin A/C compressor to stop engaging buuutttt NOoooo it just keeps on clicking/engaging until the only remidy is to shut off truck. PERIOD. These trucks have an issue.

I am an engineer by trade and have tried every possible scenerio to stop. I can repeat & recreate any time for the dealer and again...Normal. I see it now 2 years i will need an A/C compressor like driving 80k mils always on. Go figure. Well I can say mine is well documented at my dealership so if it blows up believe me it WILL be zero $$$ for me.

And the 14-17 mpg is more like 14 on average for a reason. Freakin A/C compressor is engaged most of the time here in Florida even when i think it is off. Hey those 0 - 60 times might be even better if we can get th compressor off too.
#27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 06:35 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
i don't veiw this as a defect, maybe poor design. If you don't want the compressor to stay on to dehumidify your cabin air then don't put the a/c in "windshield defrost" or Max a/c mode. just put it to the setting according to where you want the air directed and push the center of the knob to turn on the compressor, then it shuts off when you turn it off. Most people don't have any idea or even care about whether there compressor is on or not, they think cold/dry air just emerges magically from the vent. and those people are happy not to worry about turning it on and off all of the time.

Galaxy Black 2004 Titan XE CC 4x4 w/ Off-Road Package, Preferred Package.
Mods: PRG Spacers, 17x9" Eagle 187s (+2mm offset) w/ 315 70-17 BFG All-Terrain KO tires, Stillen Diff Cover, Alpine Type-R components in the front, coax. in the rear w/ 50 x 4 Rockford Fosgate Amp, XM, Debadged, and Homemade RCA pre-outs on in-dash changer.

#28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 11:50 PM

Vegas...What we are saying is when we use the A/C compressor to cool or to defrost. And we all need it to cool or to clear the windshield or even dry the air. When all is where we want it the attempt to what wouls assume to disengage the compressor - Hence- push the A/C button in center the darn compressor never lets go. Period.

Defective design more like.

Maybe you have one of the lucky ones - can't all be bad.
#29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:14 PM

Hello all I to have the ac that does not turn off. My truck is at the dealer and they said "normal Operation" I decided to call 800Nissan and they said there is a fix for it and for the dealer to call the tech line. Will keep you posted.

Dan
San Diego
4x4 Smoked
Banks exhaust
K&N Charger intake
#30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gladius
Hey guys,

I own a Titan and a 03 Sentra. They both do the same thing that everyone is complaining about. I dont think it really is a "problem", maybe just the way it was designed. I found that on the sentra, the only way to get the a/c to turn off when taken off the defrost setting is to turn the car off. When you restart the car, it works like normal. I just got used to it.

Jump to top